The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can the ketogenic diet help in the case of melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Can the ketogenic diet help in the case of melanoma?

Participant

This study was published last year. Although none of the patients were melanoma patients, it doesn't seem to be a stretch that it may help mm patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3157418/?tool=pubmed

I personally am already on a carb and sugar restricted diet and although this is such a small study, it is promising and is something worthwhile mentioning.

This study was published last year. Although none of the patients were melanoma patients, it doesn't seem to be a stretch that it may help mm patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3157418/?tool=pubmed

I personally am already on a carb and sugar restricted diet and although this is such a small study, it is promising and is something worthwhile mentioning.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        bcl
        Participant
          Congratulations on being NED Jake.
          I am not trying to knock new ideas (or old ones) just asking a question. The 5 or 6 (out of 16) who stuck with this 'quality of life'  trial report " improved emotional functioning and less insomnia"   – as compared to what?

Effects of a ketogenic diet on the quality of life in 16 patients with advanced cancer: A pilot trial

Melanie Schmidt,1 Nadja Pfetzer,1 Micheal Schwab,1 Ingrid Strauss,1 and Ulrike Kämmerercorresponding author1
          1Dept. Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital of Wuerzburg, Josef-Schneider-Str. 4, D-97080 Wuerzburg, Germany

Abstract
          Background
          Tumor patients exhibit an increased peripheral demand of fatty acids and protein. Contrarily, tumors utilize glucose as their main source of energy supply. Thus, a diet supplying the cancer patient with sufficient fat and protein for his demands while restricting the carbohydrates (CHO) tumors thrive on, could be a helpful strategy in improving the patients' situation. A ketogenic diet (KD) fulfills these requirements. Therefore, we performed a pilot study to investigate the feasibility of a KD and its influence on the quality of life of patients with advanced metastatic tumors.
          Methods
          Sixteen patients with advanced metastatic tumors and no conventional therapeutic options participated in the study. The patients were instructed to follow a KD (less than 70 g CHO per day) with normal groceries and were provided with a supply of food additives to mix a protein/fat shake to simplify the 3-month intervention period. Quality of life [assessed by EORTC QLQ-C30 (version 2)], serum and general health parameters were determined at baseline, after every two weeks of follow-up, or after drop out. The effect of dietary change on metabolism was monitored daily by measuring urinary ketone bodies.
          Results
          One patient did not tolerate the diet and dropped out within 3 days. Among those who tolerated the diet, two patients died early, one stopped after 2 weeks due to personal reasons, one felt unable to stick to the diet after 4 weeks, one stopped after 6 and two stopped after 7 and 8 weeks due to progress of the disease, one had to discontinue after 6 weeks to resume chemotherapy and five completed the 3 month intervention period. These five and the one who resumed chemotherapy after 6 weeks report an improved emotional functioning and less insomnia, while several other parameters of quality of life remained stable or worsened, reflecting their very advanced disease. Except for temporary constipation and fatigue, we found no severe adverse side effects, especially no changes in cholesterol or blood lipids.
          Conclusions
          These pilot data suggest that a KD is suitable for even advanced cancer patients. It has no severe side effects and might improve aspects of quality of life and blood parameters in some patients with advanced metastatic tumors.
          bcl
          Participant
            I am not trying to knock new ideas (or old ones) just asking a question. The 5 or 6 (out of 16) who stuck with this 'quality of life'  trial report " improved emotional functioning and less insomnia"   – as compared to what?

Effects of a ketogenic diet on the quality of life in 16 patients with advanced cancer: A pilot trial

Melanie Schmidt,1 Nadja Pfetzer,1 Micheal Schwab,1 Ingrid Strauss,1 and Ulrike Kämmerercorresponding author1
            1Dept. Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital of Wuerzburg, Josef-Schneider-Str. 4, D-97080 Wuerzburg, Germany

Abstract
            Background
            Tumor patients exhibit an increased peripheral demand of fatty acids and protein. Contrarily, tumors utilize glucose as their main source of energy supply. Thus, a diet supplying the cancer patient with sufficient fat and protein for his demands while restricting the carbohydrates (CHO) tumors thrive on, could be a helpful strategy in improving the patients' situation. A ketogenic diet (KD) fulfills these requirements. Therefore, we performed a pilot study to investigate the feasibility of a KD and its influence on the quality of life of patients with advanced metastatic tumors.
            Methods
            Sixteen patients with advanced metastatic tumors and no conventional therapeutic options participated in the study. The patients were instructed to follow a KD (less than 70 g CHO per day) with normal groceries and were provided with a supply of food additives to mix a protein/fat shake to simplify the 3-month intervention period. Quality of life [assessed by EORTC QLQ-C30 (version 2)], serum and general health parameters were determined at baseline, after every two weeks of follow-up, or after drop out. The effect of dietary change on metabolism was monitored daily by measuring urinary ketone bodies.
            Results
            One patient did not tolerate the diet and dropped out within 3 days. Among those who tolerated the diet, two patients died early, one stopped after 2 weeks due to personal reasons, one felt unable to stick to the diet after 4 weeks, one stopped after 6 and two stopped after 7 and 8 weeks due to progress of the disease, one had to discontinue after 6 weeks to resume chemotherapy and five completed the 3 month intervention period. These five and the one who resumed chemotherapy after 6 weeks report an improved emotional functioning and less insomnia, while several other parameters of quality of life remained stable or worsened, reflecting their very advanced disease. Except for temporary constipation and fatigue, we found no severe adverse side effects, especially no changes in cholesterol or blood lipids.
            Conclusions
            These pilot data suggest that a KD is suitable for even advanced cancer patients. It has no severe side effects and might improve aspects of quality of life and blood parameters in some patients with advanced metastatic tumors.
              JakeinNY
              Participant

As compared to when they started the trial.

The more important thing here is that 5 people had stable disease for 3 months. The hope is that the ketogenic diet will prevent the tumors from growing for many people. If one day I had a tumor again, I know that I would try this. As it is, I think that my diet is pretty close to ketogenic.

bcl
                Participant

ok, I guess that makes sense (I was looking for a control group.) 

you say, "The more important thing here is that 5 people had stable disease for 3 months"

While any quality of life improvement is good, I am not sure I see stable disease claims here Jake. (Sorry to be so picky:)

abstract quote..

" …while several other parameters of quality of life remained stable or worsened, reflecting their very advanced disease"

bcl
                  Participant

you say, "The more important thing here is that 5 people had stable disease for 3 months"

While any quality of life improvement is good, I am not sure I see stable disease claims here Jake. (Sorry to be so picky:)

abstract quote..

" …while several other parameters of quality of life remained stable or worsened, reflecting their very advanced disease"

bcl
                    Participant

abstract quote..

JakeinNY
                      Participant

No problem. Here is the quote from the publishing:

"Progress of disease occurred in 5 patients who then discontinued the diet, whereas 5 of the patients who adhered to the diet throughout the study had stable disease (Table4)."

Table 4 is a great source of info.

JakeinNY
                        Participant

"Progress of disease occurred in 5 patients who then discontinued the diet, whereas 5 of the patients who adhered to the diet throughout the study had stable disease (Table4)."

JakeinNY
                          Participant

bcl
                            Participant

This quote from the discussion is interesting too 

Discussion

"The present study has several limitations. Only few patients fulfilled the requirements and all of them were in a very advanced stage of disease, as reflected by the two early death cases and the progress of disease in five cases which made it impossible for those patients to follow the diet for the whole time. Since we aimed to test the acceptability and compatibility of an LCHF diet in advanced cancer patients, we did not select patients according to their tumors. Therefore, the group was very inhomogeneous. Further, the majority of the study participants were not from our own hospital, but scattered all over Germany and blood samples and laboratory parameters had to be provided by their family doctors or local oncologists."

bcl
                              Participant

Discussion

"The present study has several limitations. Only few patients fulfilled the requirements and all of them were in a very advanced stage of disease, as reflected by the two early death cases and the progress of disease in five cases which made it impossible for those patients to follow the diet for the whole time. Since we aimed to test the acceptability and compatibility of an LCHF diet in advanced cancer patients, we did not select patients according to their tumors. Therefore, the group was very inhomogeneous. Further, the majority of the study participants were not from our own hospital, but scattered all over Germany and blood samples and laboratory parameters had to be provided by their family doctors or local oncologists."

JakeinNY
                                Participant

Another interesting point as well:

"When we started the study in 2007, except for two preliminary reports [26,54], no protocol was available on how to perform an LCHF or ketogenic diet study with cancer patients. Since then, a study protocol was published by Fine et al. [55], and four clinical trials were registered in the clinical trials database [56]"

Although this is such a small study, it is a promising start and I would (and have) bring this to the attention of anyone with cancer.

JakeinNY
                                  Participant

"When we started the study in 2007, except for two preliminary reports [26,54], no protocol was available on how to perform an LCHF or ketogenic diet study with cancer patients. Since then, a study protocol was published by Fine et al. [55], and four clinical trials were registered in the clinical trials database [56]"

Although this is such a small study, it is a promising start and I would (and have) bring this to the attention of anyone with cancer.

bcl
                                    Participant

This small quality of life study focused on end stage cancer patients and has identified some pretty uncomfortable digestive issues, at least for the initial 4 weeks. 

Figure 4

"Concerning digestive functions, the symptoms score showed an increase in appetite loss, constipation or diarrhoea in the first four weeks of the diet. Symptoms then remain stable and signs of diarrhoea diminish. D) The other symptoms were an increase in fatigue and pain corresponding to the very advanced tumor situation. However, insomnia clearly decreased with ongoing dieting. Graphs are given as means for the seven evaluable patients."

The following quote seems to indicate further study may focus on a healthier patient population, I find this reassuring.. as I stated at the outset, I do not wish to knock ideas. Just dig a little. 

Discussion 

"As described in previous studies [40], we found an LCHF treatment in adult patients to be only slightly feasible. Based on our observations, an LCHF diet is not an option for all patients with advanced cancer, since the associated changes in eating habits (e.g. waiving soft drinks and beer) are not acceptable for some of them. For other patients however, an LCHF diet might be an option for increasing their quality of life. The latter belong to the group of patients who want to actively influence the course of the disease (by change of lifestyle) and who are in a phase of their disease where cooking and eating are not hampered. Although there was a worsening in some parameters of the quality of life assessment, reflecting the very advanced situation of our patients, we found an improvement in emotional functioning and insomnia, even though the course of the disease in our patients was progressive or in the best case, stable. Certainly, we cannot exclude the possibility of a placebo effect caused by a) the intensive consultation and briefing of the patients and b) the chance for patients to actively participate in their therapy. Further, anecdotic evidence links the presence of ketone bodies to a mild euphoria [43] which was assumed to be caused by one of the ketone bodies, beta-hydroxybutyrate. Thus, this metabolic state of ketosis, which was reached by six of our patients, could be the reason for the improvement in our patients, too."

JakeinNY
                                      Participant

Bottom Line:

Based on this small study, If I had any tumors in my body, I sure as heck would be following this diet and cutting carbs down to a minimum.

Would you?

JakeinNY
                                        Participant

Bottom Line:

Based on this small study, If I had any tumors in my body, I sure as heck would be following this diet and cutting carbs down to a minimum.

Would you?

JakeinNY
                                          Participant

Bottom Line:

Would you?

bcl
                                            Participant

Bottom line –I have health issues which limit my choices. However, if this were not the case, in addition to seeking treatment I might consider experimenting with my diet.  

bcl
                                              Participant

Bottom line –I have health issues which limit my choices. However, if this were not the case, in addition to seeking treatment I might consider experimenting with my diet.  

JakeinNY
                                                Participant

I guess that your answer is maybe.

I am not advocating refusing standard treatment at all, just saying that it would make sense to do the treatment and the ketogenic diet together. And in my opinion, to not mention this small study to people that I know that have cancer would be inexcusable.

JakeinNY
                                                  Participant

I am not advocating refusing standard treatment at all, just saying that it would make sense to do the treatment and the ketogenic diet together. And in my opinion, to not mention this small study to people that I know that have cancer would be inexcusable.

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

Jake, doing a search of the term looks interesting.   Sounds like something reasonable for some to try.  

I am also interested in the recent reports

1. about aspirin and cancers. 

2. Doxycycline type antibiotics and melanoma.

i also take cucumin as MDA did an interesting study on it's effects.

If one is on any treatment n must learn how the treatment gets to and interacts with the tumor cells and what can possibly help and what might hurt delivery of the treatment . 

For instance if a drug is delivered into a tumor by oxidants, how many anti-oxidants is acceptable?  So many interactions that still are not clearly defined.

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

Jake, doing a search of the term looks interesting.   Sounds like something reasonable for some to try.  

If one is on any treatment n must learn how the treatment gets to and interacts with the tumor cells and what can possibly help and what might hurt delivery of the treatment . 

For instance if a drug is delivered into a tumor by oxidants, how many anti-oxidants is acceptable?  So many interactions that still are not clearly defined.

JakeinNY
                                                        Participant

I totally agree with you Jerry.

I just want to spread the information about some things that people can try that may help along with their treatment. The ketogenic diet seems like something that makes sense and I would recommend it to anyone. I hope that the subsequent studies that are supposedly ongoing prove to be very beneficial.

By the way, I use turmeric regularly.

Best wishes.

Aoife
                                                          Participant

Hi there, 

I'm new to this site but I just wanted to add my experience with the ketogenic diet and ocular melanoma. 

In August 2012 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 ocular melanoma in my liver and spine. I immediately changed my diet to clean, organic, and non-processed. I had IPI, dacarbazine and TACE and none of these treatments worked. 

In July 2013 I switched to the ketogenic diet. I had a scan immediately before starting, and then another scan 6 weeks later. All my smaller liver tumours had stopped growing. The largest one had changed shape dramatically. This was in a period when I had no other treatments, and all previous treatments had been deemed ineffective. 

I have been having various treatments for the past two years, most recently chemosaturation (Delcath) in Southampton. I was told in Southampton by the oncology professor that my disease is very unusual in that it is very slow growing, and that for me, this ketogenic diet must be having an impact. The ketogenic diet, I feel, kept my disease stable long enough for me to be able to have the chemosaturation in Southampton. 

I am awaiting scan results after my second chemosaturation, but they said that my results after the first chemosaturation (average 20% decrease in all liver tumours), was the best they have seen for such a large tumour. I believe this may partly be due to my ketogenic diet. 

I think that all ocular melanoma patients should at least try the ketogenic diet and see what effects it has for them. I believe I would not be alive right now were it not for the combined effects of my ketogenic diet and some excellent new treatments. The ketogenic diet really should be embarked upon under the guidance of a specialist nutritionist who deals with the ketogenic diet. 

Best wishes.

Aoife
                                                            Participant

Hi there, 

I'm new to this site but I just wanted to add my experience with the ketogenic diet and ocular melanoma. 

In August 2012 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 ocular melanoma in my liver and spine. I immediately changed my diet to clean, organic, and non-processed. I had IPI, dacarbazine and TACE and none of these treatments worked. 

In July 2013 I switched to the ketogenic diet. I had a scan immediately before starting, and then another scan 6 weeks later. All my smaller liver tumours had stopped growing. The largest one had changed shape dramatically. This was in a period when I had no other treatments, and all previous treatments had been deemed ineffective. 

I have been having various treatments for the past two years, most recently chemosaturation (Delcath) in Southampton. I was told in Southampton by the oncology professor that my disease is very unusual in that it is very slow growing, and that for me, this ketogenic diet must be having an impact. The ketogenic diet, I feel, kept my disease stable long enough for me to be able to have the chemosaturation in Southampton. 

I am awaiting scan results after my second chemosaturation, but they said that my results after the first chemosaturation (average 20% decrease in all liver tumours), was the best they have seen for such a large tumour. I believe this may partly be due to my ketogenic diet. 

I think that all ocular melanoma patients should at least try the ketogenic diet and see what effects it has for them. I believe I would not be alive right now were it not for the combined effects of my ketogenic diet and some excellent new treatments. The ketogenic diet really should be embarked upon under the guidance of a specialist nutritionist who deals with the ketogenic diet. 

Best wishes.

Aoife
                                                              Participant

Hi there, 

Best wishes.

JakeinNY
                                                                Participant

I just want to spread the information about some things that people can try that may help along with their treatment. The ketogenic diet seems like something that makes sense and I would recommend it to anyone. I hope that the subsequent studies that are supposedly ongoing prove to be very beneficial.

Best wishes.

JakeinNY
                                                                  Participant

Best wishes.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                    Participant

JakeinNY
                                                                      Participant

bcl
                                                                        Participant

bcl
                                                                          Participant

This small quality of life study focused on end stage cancer patients and has identified some pretty uncomfortable digestive issues, at least for the initial 4 weeks. 

Figure 4

"Concerning digestive functions, the symptoms score showed an increase in appetite loss, constipation or diarrhoea in the first four weeks of the diet. Symptoms then remain stable and signs of diarrhoea diminish. D) The other symptoms were an increase in fatigue and pain corresponding to the very advanced tumor situation. However, insomnia clearly decreased with ongoing dieting. Graphs are given as means for the seven evaluable patients."

The following quote seems to indicate further study may focus on a healthier patient population, I find this reassuring.. as I stated at the outset, I do not wish to knock ideas. Just dig a little. 

Discussion 

"As described in previous studies [40], we found an LCHF treatment in adult patients to be only slightly feasible. Based on our observations, an LCHF diet is not an option for all patients with advanced cancer, since the associated changes in eating habits (e.g. waiving soft drinks and beer) are not acceptable for some of them. For other patients however, an LCHF diet might be an option for increasing their quality of life. The latter belong to the group of patients who want to actively influence the course of the disease (by change of lifestyle) and who are in a phase of their disease where cooking and eating are not hampered. Although there was a worsening in some parameters of the quality of life assessment, reflecting the very advanced situation of our patients, we found an improvement in emotional functioning and insomnia, even though the course of the disease in our patients was progressive or in the best case, stable. Certainly, we cannot exclude the possibility of a placebo effect caused by a) the intensive consultation and briefing of the patients and b) the chance for patients to actively participate in their therapy. Further, anecdotic evidence links the presence of ketone bodies to a mild euphoria [43] which was assumed to be caused by one of the ketone bodies, beta-hydroxybutyrate. Thus, this metabolic state of ketosis, which was reached by six of our patients, could be the reason for the improvement in our patients, too."

bcl
                                                                            Participant

Figure 4

Discussion 

JakeinNY
                                                                              Participant

bcl
                                                                                Participant

Discussion

JakeinNY
                                                                                  Participant

The more important thing here is that 5 people had stable disease for 3 months. The hope is that the ketogenic diet will prevent the tumors from growing for many people. If one day I had a tumor again, I know that I would try this. As it is, I think that my diet is pretty close to ketogenic.

JakeinNY
                                                                                    Participant

bcl
                                                                                    Participant

Abstract
                                                                                      Background
                                                                                      Methods
                                                                                      Results
                                                                                      Conclusions
                                                                                  Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics