The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.
Can someone help clarify the right sequence of staging tests?
I’m a bit confused and wanted to get help from this community to understand the right sequence of tests that are done when Staging melanoma.
My dad had WLE a month ago, results came back 2.1mm no ulceration. Yesterday he had further excision to widen the margins, plus an SLNB where 2 lymph nodes were removed from the groin area to be examined. When reviewing his files, one of the doctors spotted something on his lungs x-ray and suggested PET scan to examine further if it’s a metastasis. We asked his onco-dermatologist but they’re saying it’s too early for a PET scan, plus the wait times for it are long and won’t be feasible while he’s hospitalised. They said he may “light up everywhere” if a PET scan is done now – what does this mean, does anyone know?
They are likely to book him for a CT at least, but I’m not sure if that’s enough or whether we should be pushing for a PET scan (or go private for it).
Are there any risks in performing PET / CT right after SNLB that make the scans unreliable? Curious what is the best sequence of tests and what others have done.
That seems like a lot of contradictory statements certainly. I am not certain where you are. In the US a PET scan is often used when cancer is diagnosed but insurance companies don’t like them because they cost twice as much as a CT so only only some people get them routinely. My very good oncologist doesn’t really care and only cares if something new shows up (I am NED). Usually a brain MRI and a full body CT are considered more valuable. I have never heard of any risks per se although it might be uncomfortable depending on the surgical site. However, because of the use of certain dyes with either the CT or PET and the interaction with a SNLB surgical site it is possible the injections would not be compatible. Is there a waiting list? Can this not be done during hospitalization? I’m a little confused.
Viewing 0 reply threads
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
About the MRF Patient Forum
The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.
The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.