The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can regression occur on 14 year old?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Can regression occur on 14 year old?

Participant
      My son of 14 years old had a mole lightening over 3 years ago. It was a normal black mole he’d always had until it turned pink. After turning pink a half started to turn white and in the end the other half turned white. The mole ended up completely white after 4 months of losing its colour. It’s passed 3 years and we were not worried. We commented it to his pediatrician the other day and said that changes in hormones can cause this things and that his mole is not suspicious. But I’ve never heard about regression in a teen. It wasn’t a halo Nevus. And his mole now doesn’t present characteristics of the ABCDE. Can this things occur in teens? I’ve heard that changes in moles of teens are very common but a regression?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Why not?  As you mentioned, hormones.  Regression can happen in old age too.  I've never read anything that says it is specific to any age.  If this happened 3 years ago, why are you worried now? 

Dasupah14
            Participant
              Thank you for your comment. We are not very worried but we are strange because I’ve always read that regression occurs in elderly people. However we are not 100% sure it was a regression. But there’s a huge chance(over 95%) because it followed it steps.
              Dasupah14
              Participant
                3 years has passed and when this changes occurred, he didn’t tell us anything. However, it doesn’t look very suspicious.
              casagrayson
              Participant

I had a large mole that regressed — hard to know whether it happened during puberty or pregnancy — I just know one day I realized it was no longer dark.  I could still see a faint outline or shadow where it used to be, but it was gone.  30 years later and it's never come back or given me any problems.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics