The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can Opdivo cause Congestive Heart Failure?

Forums General Melanoma Community Can Opdivo cause Congestive Heart Failure?

Participant
      My dad is in the hospital not doing well. The scan shows that the brain tumours are shrinking but he’s having a lot of other complications. He has been really weak and heart has been acting up. Right now he is having a lot of congestion and cough. It seems that they think he has gotten congestive heart failure. But they also think this might be general infection. They are treating both.

Does anybody know if a Opdivo can cause congestive heart failure?

I am a complete mess and just praying that he will pull through this. Especially since the actual cancer seems to be getting better. I am here in America and he is in Europe. I have a flight planned to go over there on the 27th. I just spoke with a doctor over the phone and they seem to be doing the right thing.

Any insights appreciated.

Annie

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        keepthefaith11
        Participant
          Forgot to mention he also has a fever. So my thought is that it is either a general infection, or it is a fever from the BRAF/MEK drug and the cough and swelling of legs from the congestive heart failure.
          keepthefaith11
          Participant
            Forgot to mention he also has a fever. So my thought is that it is either a general infection, or it is a fever from the BRAF/MEK drug and the cough and swelling of legs from the congestive heart failure.
            keepthefaith11
            Participant
              Bubbles
              Participant

Hey Annie,

Sorry sweetie.  Sounds like his docs are managing things pretty well and it is often hard to get to what is actually causing a patient's problems when there are so many variables.  However, you should know that, yes…immunotherapy can cause problems with the heart…sometimes masked as congestive heart failure…..in the form of myocarditis and other cardiotoxicities.  Like most immune related side effects the treatment is steriods.

Here's a link to a post discussing many side effects (you'll have to look through for the heart related ones) with other posts linked as well:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/11/side-effects-to-immunotherapypart-6.html

Perhaps some of these articles will allow you to have a better discussion with the docs about the possibility of immune related side effects.

Hang in there.  Wishing my best for you and your dad.  celeste

keepthefaith11
                  Participant
                    Thank you so much Celeste, as always.

I just spoke to the cardiologist and she said that the EKGs and all the other tests they have done show no damage to the heart walls or anything else. I asked about in the possible immune reaction and she said that they have kept it in the back of their minds but they still think this is related to a mild pneumonia. She said he has heart fibrillations but that’s all they can find. He has perked up throughout the day which is also a good sign.

Hopefully he will recover from this so we can get back on the BRAF/MEK. They temporarily stopped it due to the fever not knowing if that was what caused the sudden fever.

This sure is horrifying and scary. But I really feel he is in good hands and love the fact that the doctors will call me from my dad’s room to tell me what’s going on. My poor mom is there alone and is focused on being there for him.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                    Participant

I just spoke to the cardiologist and she said that the EKGs and all the other tests they have done show no damage to the heart walls or anything else. I asked about in the possible immune reaction and she said that they have kept it in the back of their minds but they still think this is related to a mild pneumonia. She said he has heart fibrillations but that’s all they can find. He has perked up throughout the day which is also a good sign.

Hopefully he will recover from this so we can get back on the BRAF/MEK. They temporarily stopped it due to the fever not knowing if that was what caused the sudden fever.

This sure is horrifying and scary. But I really feel he is in good hands and love the fact that the doctors will call me from my dad’s room to tell me what’s going on. My poor mom is there alone and is focused on being there for him.

Annie

Bubbles
                      Participant

That is all good…considering.  If they are keeping immune related problems in mind and going forward with what they find….that is a perfect balance.  Sorry he is having these troubles.  Hopefully he will improve quickly!!!  c

Bubbles
                        Participant

That is all good…considering.  If they are keeping immune related problems in mind and going forward with what they find….that is a perfect balance.  Sorry he is having these troubles.  Hopefully he will improve quickly!!!  c

Bubbles
                          Participant

debwray
                            Participant

Hi Annie,

Immunotherapy can cause pneumonitis- which is treated with steroids like most other side effects as Celeste says. The drugs can also cause fevers .

Have a look at this management guide – page 6-7 referes to pneumonitis

http://www.opdivohcp.bmscustomerconnect.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00Pi000000Hj19REAR

Is your Dad being managed by a team experienced in these drugs and side effects ? Can't see the cardiologist having much relevant experience going by my experience of the knowledge base of consultants outside of the immunotherapy field in the uk- they write letters saying I am on immunosuppression – before steroids whuich is the exact opposite of what is going on… so I would keep asking your questions.

Hope all settles soon

Deb

debwray
                              Participant

Hi Annie,

Immunotherapy can cause pneumonitis- which is treated with steroids like most other side effects as Celeste says. The drugs can also cause fevers .

http://www.opdivohcp.bmscustomerconnect.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00Pi000000Hj19REAR

Is your Dad being managed by a team experienced in these drugs and side effects ? Can't see the cardiologist having much relevant experience going by my experience of the knowledge base of consultants outside of the immunotherapy field in the uk- they write letters saying I am on immunosuppression – before steroids whuich is the exact opposite of what is going on… so I would keep asking your questions.

Hope all settles soon

Deb

keepthefaith11
                                Participant
                                  Deb, your post prompted me to read up about differences between pneumonia and pneumonitis. Seems a lot of the symptoms are the same. I have not spoken to the doctor today but they did do a chest x-ray last night which to them showed pneumonia. Not sure if pneumonitis is on their radar although he is at a highly reputable Research Hospital. One of the two in the country that specializes in melanoma. He has been on steroids since the bout with diarrhea after the last nivo infusion. I have to double-check today and see what those that he is on. It has been a couple of weeks since steroid treatment was initiated. I see that treatment for pneumonitis is steroids, whereas treatment for pneumonia is obviously antibiotics, which he is on. He was better this morning and able to eat breakfast but then slept for 4 hours. Guess this is normal. Anybody would be tired if you have pneumonia right?

It seems they would be able to tell if it is pneumonitis on a x-ray. Is this right?

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                  Participant
                                    Deb, your post prompted me to read up about differences between pneumonia and pneumonitis. Seems a lot of the symptoms are the same. I have not spoken to the doctor today but they did do a chest x-ray last night which to them showed pneumonia. Not sure if pneumonitis is on their radar although he is at a highly reputable Research Hospital. One of the two in the country that specializes in melanoma. He has been on steroids since the bout with diarrhea after the last nivo infusion. I have to double-check today and see what those that he is on. It has been a couple of weeks since steroid treatment was initiated. I see that treatment for pneumonitis is steroids, whereas treatment for pneumonia is obviously antibiotics, which he is on. He was better this morning and able to eat breakfast but then slept for 4 hours. Guess this is normal. Anybody would be tired if you have pneumonia right?

It seems they would be able to tell if it is pneumonitis on a x-ray. Is this right?

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                    Participant
                                      Wanted to say that he is on the floor of the oncology department. They don’t feel there is a need to take him to the ICU. The head oncologist is the one I spoke with yesterday and then later the cardiologists. They said they are in close contact looking over my dad. The cardiologists got involved because of the suspected heart issues. But the oncologist is still the person in charge.
                                      keepthefaith11
                                      Participant
                                        Wanted to say that he is on the floor of the oncology department. They don’t feel there is a need to take him to the ICU. The head oncologist is the one I spoke with yesterday and then later the cardiologists. They said they are in close contact looking over my dad. The cardiologists got involved because of the suspected heart issues. But the oncologist is still the person in charge.
                                        keepthefaith11
                                        Participant
                                          debwray
                                          Participant

Hi Annie,

Not a medic.. but have suffered from infection being treated as immunotherapy side effect ( carried a knee infection undiagnosed for 5 months in spite of two hospital emergency admissions, sky high CRP, three weekly doc consults with infusions on keytruda v placebo trial , visits to GP, pain relief being increased to morphine etc etc finally sorted by orthopeadic hospital but needed 3 week plus stay-more surgery and three months high dose antibiotics- replacement knee joint usage / function now compromised-)

Pneumonia is a form of pneumonitis caused by infection- so radiology would be similar .. thought this was helpful ?

Have they collected sputum samples or is his cough dry and unproductive ?  Might get false negatives for infection if he is already on antibiotics ?

Both conditions would be tiring .  Are they tapering yopur Dads steroids for the gastro problems yet ? And is he getting worse as they do this ? His oxygen sats will simply show possible breathing problems not the cause .

From what you say the docs should be working hand in hand but my experience hasled me to trying to understand as much as possible as there can be problems that are costly for the patient . I really can't say how easy it would be to distinguish the two diagnoses but believe that until one or the other is proved to be the case both need to be considered.   Firmly sitting on the fence I'm afraid.

keepthefaith11
                                            Participant
                                              Deb, I totally agree. Have not been able to speak to a doctor over Christmas. From what my mom said, who is sick now as well, lovely, the tests have come back as the flu. Not sure what testing would have done to figure that out but that was the report. His fever is now gone. But they are having some problems with his blood pressure going pretty low. So he has been getting a lot of IV fluids which has made him swell up like a balloon. They are giving him diuretics now. so overall he seems to be getting better, able to eat a couple of meals yesterday. I will be there in two days and we’ll definitely interrogate the doctors about all this. I am not sure the dosage of steroids he is on. Have not been able to get an answer on that. I assume they have tapered it some. He started out at 60 milligrams.

This whole cancer Journey has certainly spiraled out of control. Not only are we dealing with the cancer, which now has been put on the back burner, bit also the effects from all the seizures which has left him not being himself mentally. I don’t know where we go from here, he was having a hard time walking before the flu hit. I don’t know if he can come back from all this physically or mentally. It is all very very depressing…

Annie

debwray
                                              Participant

Hi Annie,

Hold on tight. Things can be pretty grim at points on the way but the picture can change within a week. I'm currently on 50 mg prednisolone and have to go to clinic Wed for bloods and probable start of taper.

Great to hear fever gone and eating again. Cross my fingers all will start going in a better direction andthat you can give your Mum a lift too. This cancer impacts so many individuals as patients, family and friends.

Can be really hard to isolate causes…of symptoms…various.. Good luck andbest wishes

Deb

keepthefaith11
                                                Participant
                                                  Thank you Deb. Your support means a lot. I am leaving today for Europe and am anxious to see what is going on. Hard to get the full picture over the phone. I have no idea what to expect…Scary.

He sleeps pretty much constantly, which I guess is understandable. But the fever is gone and blood pressure stabilized. I take that as a good sign.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thank you Deb. Your support means a lot. I am leaving today for Europe and am anxious to see what is going on. Hard to get the full picture over the phone. I have no idea what to expect…Scary.

He sleeps pretty much constantly, which I guess is understandable. But the fever is gone and blood pressure stabilized. I take that as a good sign.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                    Participant

Annie

debwray
                                                      Participant

Hi Annie,

Hold on tight. Things can be pretty grim at points on the way but the picture can change within a week. I'm currently on 50 mg prednisolone and have to go to clinic Wed for bloods and probable start of taper.

Great to hear fever gone and eating again. Cross my fingers all will start going in a better direction andthat you can give your Mum a lift too. This cancer impacts so many individuals as patients, family and friends.

Can be really hard to isolate causes…of symptoms…various.. Good luck andbest wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                        Participant

Hi Annie,

Deb

keepthefaith11
                                                          Participant
                                                            Deb, I totally agree. Have not been able to speak to a doctor over Christmas. From what my mom said, who is sick now as well, lovely, the tests have come back as the flu. Not sure what testing would have done to figure that out but that was the report. His fever is now gone. But they are having some problems with his blood pressure going pretty low. So he has been getting a lot of IV fluids which has made him swell up like a balloon. They are giving him diuretics now. so overall he seems to be getting better, able to eat a couple of meals yesterday. I will be there in two days and we’ll definitely interrogate the doctors about all this. I am not sure the dosage of steroids he is on. Have not been able to get an answer on that. I assume they have tapered it some. He started out at 60 milligrams.

This whole cancer Journey has certainly spiraled out of control. Not only are we dealing with the cancer, which now has been put on the back burner, bit also the effects from all the seizures which has left him not being himself mentally. I don’t know where we go from here, he was having a hard time walking before the flu hit. I don’t know if he can come back from all this physically or mentally. It is all very very depressing…

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                            Participant

Annie

debwray
                                                              Participant

Hi Annie,

Not a medic.. but have suffered from infection being treated as immunotherapy side effect ( carried a knee infection undiagnosed for 5 months in spite of two hospital emergency admissions, sky high CRP, three weekly doc consults with infusions on keytruda v placebo trial , visits to GP, pain relief being increased to morphine etc etc finally sorted by orthopeadic hospital but needed 3 week plus stay-more surgery and three months high dose antibiotics- replacement knee joint usage / function now compromised-)

Pneumonia is a form of pneumonitis caused by infection- so radiology would be similar .. thought this was helpful ?

Have they collected sputum samples or is his cough dry and unproductive ?  Might get false negatives for infection if he is already on antibiotics ?

Both conditions would be tiring .  Are they tapering yopur Dads steroids for the gastro problems yet ? And is he getting worse as they do this ? His oxygen sats will simply show possible breathing problems not the cause .

From what you say the docs should be working hand in hand but my experience hasled me to trying to understand as much as possible as there can be problems that are costly for the patient . I really can't say how easy it would be to distinguish the two diagnoses but believe that until one or the other is proved to be the case both need to be considered.   Firmly sitting on the fence I'm afraid.

debwray
                                                                Participant

Hi Annie,

keepthefaith11
                                                                  Participant

Annie

debwray
                                                                    Participant

Hi Annie,

Hope all settles soon

Deb

keepthefaith11
                                                                      Participant

Annie

Bubbles
                                                                      Participant

Hey Annie,

Sorry sweetie.  Sounds like his docs are managing things pretty well and it is often hard to get to what is actually causing a patient's problems when there are so many variables.  However, you should know that, yes…immunotherapy can cause problems with the heart…sometimes masked as congestive heart failure…..in the form of myocarditis and other cardiotoxicities.  Like most immune related side effects the treatment is steriods.

Here's a link to a post discussing many side effects (you'll have to look through for the heart related ones) with other posts linked as well:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/11/side-effects-to-immunotherapypart-6.html

Perhaps some of these articles will allow you to have a better discussion with the docs about the possibility of immune related side effects.

Bubbles
                                                                        Participant

Hey Annie,

ed williams
                                                                          Participant

Hi Annie, just some stuff for you on Braf-Mek inhibitors. Best Wishes!!!Ed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_WO3dvGmAs  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tL6uLzj6hc  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Ivcf_YnNQ

ed williams
                                                                            Participant

Hi Annie, just some stuff for you on Braf-Mek inhibitors. Best Wishes!!!Ed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_WO3dvGmAs  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tL6uLzj6hc  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Ivcf_YnNQ

keepthefaith11
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  Thank you Ed, very informative as usual!
                                                                                  keepthefaith11
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    keepthefaith11
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                    ed williams
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics