The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can Melanoma in Situ come back after excision?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Can Melanoma in Situ come back after excision?

Participant

Hello! A few years ago I was dx'd with melanoma in situ on my right fore arm. I had an excision, the margins weren't clear and I had to have it re-excised. 

Today I noticed, right in the center of the scar, a brown splotchy line has developed. It appears to be right where the original mole was. I'm a little worried, but because it was in situ I am not sure if it is possible for it to come back. 

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jamie1960
        Participant

I'm having the same experience within the scar from a IIB ulcerated WLE; while my surgeon advises that it is nothing to worry about, I am mindful of current work regarding "field cancerization" (Slaughter et al, 1953) being done at Dana Farber using zebrafish (Google it). Damaged cells can be "primed" in UV-affected areas adjacent to WLE locations without necessarily showing up in the pathology.

Given your experience with two surgeries for the same "in situ", I would be extremely vigilant and get another set of eyes on it. No harm in another biopsy my friend.

Jamie1960
          Participant

PS – GO DAWGS !

BillMFl
            Participant

Easy to biopsy  and know for sure if you are worried. Not likely mm but anything is possible. I sometimes get somewhat insistant on rquesting a biopsy and have been correct more often than not. That tends to be the case with lesions that are very early. There is never a doubt with the knarly ones. Both of my mms were early and I had to push for the biopsy.  Don't be bashfull and be your own advocate. 

WallyE
                Participant

I do not think anyone can say with certainty that it will not re-occur.

My personal experience is that I had a mole removed from my right ear in 2006 which was in-situ. I was assured this was totally clear and no recurrance would manifest itself.

In 2011 I developed melanoma in my right lung (mets) and had the middle lobe removed.

In 2015 it spread to my stomach and they removed my stomach in total

In 2016 it spread to my Pancreas / Colon and I had major surgery to remove it.

In 2017 I had a scan to monitor the healing process ind another three tumors were detected.

Further operationbs are no longer an option. I am now on IPI

So, I would be pretty circumspect.

Regards

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Sounds more of a case of misdiagnosis on your part unfortunately. In situ has absolutely no way of spreading elsewhere. There have been cases, like yours, that have later been proven to have been misdiagnosed in situ when it should have been stage 1. Very sorry you've gone through so much. Wishing you all the best. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics