The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Can an ultrasound detect enlarged lymph node?

Forums General Melanoma Community Can an ultrasound detect enlarged lymph node?

Participant

Hi everyone.  I am new here.  Diagnosed with Stage 1B Malignant Melanoma on top of scalp in June this year. Due to complications I cannot have surgery under general anesthesia. My question is can an ultrasound detect an enlarged lymph node I may have in my neck and if so can it be biopsied accurately and treated without surgery?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MattF
        Participant

they can detect enlarged nodes and it could be biopsied yes.

MattF
          Participant

MattF
            Participant

Janner
              Participant
                Ultrasound won’t catch microscopic disease but it can be used to monitor the size of a lymph node. (I’ve used it to monitor a breast lump for change). I’m sure they could do a fine needle aspiration under local, but if it were deemed suspicious or positive for melanoma, standard treatment would involve node removal (all the ones in proximity) and that is not typically done under a local or a block.
                  scalp MM 2014
                  Participant

Thank you both for your replies. Janner, do you know what kind of treatment I would be offered besides surgery.  Just trying to be educated should I need to make that decision. Also, do you know how big the node would be to detect melanoma on ultrasound that isn't microscopic? How long should I wait for it to grow?

Janner
                    Participant

If the lymph node had melanoma, the only treatment you could be offered is Interferon — and that would be after removal of AT LEAST the affected node – possibly all local nodes.  Interferon after node removal is the only approved therapy for stage III.  However, it is a rough treatment and offers no survival benefit.  The only other option would be clinical trials.  But often prerequisites for clinical trials would be removing all the lymph nodes – and that would pose a problem for you. 

As for how big a node would be – it would not be a few cells – it would most likely have to take over most of the lymph node for a size difference to be found.  There has been a clinical trial for monitoring lymph nodes versus total node removal so it isn't a terrible idea, but I haven't seen the results of the study to see if they've come to any statistical significance on whether it's a viable way to go.

I'm afraid that surgery is considered the best first line option for melanoma – and if that isn't an option for you, it's going to be a bit harder to offer ideas.  You're best bet is to really talk to your medical team so they can work within YOUR parameters.

Janner
                      Participant

If the lymph node had melanoma, the only treatment you could be offered is Interferon — and that would be after removal of AT LEAST the affected node – possibly all local nodes.  Interferon after node removal is the only approved therapy for stage III.  However, it is a rough treatment and offers no survival benefit.  The only other option would be clinical trials.  But often prerequisites for clinical trials would be removing all the lymph nodes – and that would pose a problem for you. 

As for how big a node would be – it would not be a few cells – it would most likely have to take over most of the lymph node for a size difference to be found.  There has been a clinical trial for monitoring lymph nodes versus total node removal so it isn't a terrible idea, but I haven't seen the results of the study to see if they've come to any statistical significance on whether it's a viable way to go.

I'm afraid that surgery is considered the best first line option for melanoma – and if that isn't an option for you, it's going to be a bit harder to offer ideas.  You're best bet is to really talk to your medical team so they can work within YOUR parameters.

Janner
                        Participant

scalp MM 2014
                          Participant

Thank you both for your replies. Janner, do you know what kind of treatment I would be offered besides surgery.  Just trying to be educated should I need to make that decision. Also, do you know how big the node would be to detect melanoma on ultrasound that isn't microscopic? How long should I wait for it to grow?

scalp MM 2014
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant
                              Ultrasound won’t catch microscopic disease but it can be used to monitor the size of a lymph node. (I’ve used it to monitor a breast lump for change). I’m sure they could do a fine needle aspiration under local, but if it were deemed suspicious or positive for melanoma, standard treatment would involve node removal (all the ones in proximity) and that is not typically done under a local or a block.
                              Janner
                              Participant
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics