The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Calling All Irish Ancestry Wild Type BRAF

Forums General Melanoma Community Calling All Irish Ancestry Wild Type BRAF

Participant

You will find a link on the site below to a most interesting article about the relative rarity of the BRAF mutation among the Irish, while there are other melanoma-linked mutations more common to us folk.  I'm 7/8 Irish ancestry myself and BRAF-negative. 

http://www.newswise.com/institutions/newsroom/2818/

You will find a link on the site below to a most interesting article about the relative rarity of the BRAF mutation among the Irish, while there are other melanoma-linked mutations more common to us folk.  I'm 7/8 Irish ancestry myself and BRAF-negative. 

http://www.newswise.com/institutions/newsroom/2818/

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        How lucky can a fellow get? My father, 100% Irish, met my mother on a ship in 1928, and fell in love with the red headed beauty from Germany.
        I am a stage IVb who is BRAF positive, and responding well to the inhibitors, and very thankful she turned his head and heart.
          lou2
          Participant

Here is the direct link to the article:   http://tiny.cc/ffjavw

The thing about Irish in countries other than Ireland, such as the U.S., is that there is a lot of mixing.  Certainly after one generation, hardly any of us are pure Irish.  I am wondering how it works with different groups of Irish, since the celtic people in the British isles were repeatedly invaded by vikings.  That influence was clear in my Irish ancestors.  And on top of that, the celts originally came from Europe.  So, was this study really able to make such a definite statement about the smaller number of braf mutations in Ireland?  The study only included 150 people total from two countries.

buffcody
            Participant

I agree with your hesitations  about the study entirely.  However, MAYBE, the fact that the Irish are not 100% NRAS is due to all that mixing with the original Celts, if they were indeed the originals.wink At least there seems to have been a significant difference in BRAF and NRAS propensity despite the small size  of the study.   I happen to be reading a history of Ireland and there were not only Vikings but Danes and Scots and Normans and English in the mix. 

buffcody
              Participant

I agree with your hesitations  about the study entirely.  However, MAYBE, the fact that the Irish are not 100% NRAS is due to all that mixing with the original Celts, if they were indeed the originals.wink At least there seems to have been a significant difference in BRAF and NRAS propensity despite the small size  of the study.   I happen to be reading a history of Ireland and there were not only Vikings but Danes and Scots and Normans and English in the mix. 

buffcody
                Participant

lou2
                  Participant

The thing about Irish in countries other than Ireland, such as the U.S., is that there is a lot of mixing.  Certainly after one generation, hardly any of us are pure Irish.  I am wondering how it works with different groups of Irish, since the celtic people in the British isles were repeatedly invaded by vikings.  That influence was clear in my Irish ancestors.  And on top of that, the celts originally came from Europe.  So, was this study really able to make such a definite statement about the smaller number of braf mutations in Ireland?  The study only included 150 people total from two countries.

lou2
                    Participant

How lucky can a fellow get? My father, 100% Irish, met my mother on a ship in 1928, and fell in love with the red headed beauty from Germany.
                    I am a stage IVb who is BRAF positive, and responding well to the inhibitors, and very thankful she turned his head and heart.
                Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics