The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Burning sensation at incision site

Forums General Melanoma Community Burning sensation at incision site

Participant

Les had her laproscopic lymphadenectomy (left groin) done on April 15th, and the drain was removed in mid-late June.  She is experiencing a burning sensation in her left thigh at the incision area where the drain tube was, mainly when she bends over or squats down.  I have been able to feel a definite temperature difference in her left thigh vs. the right several times since the drain was removed.  She will be emailing the nurse at Duke about this this morning, but I also wanted to see if anyone here has experienced anything similar.  She is due for her next PET/CT in late September. 

Dave

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        odonoghue80
        Participant

Hi Dave,

i had two lymphadenectomy in my groin about 5 years ago. After one of the surgeries I ended up having some pain and burning sensation right on the incision site and the area around the drain tube. It ended up being a serious infection and I had to be admitted into hospital for a few days. I can't remember what type of infection, or what it's called, but they can be dangerous but relatively common. I'm not trying to scare you but I'd recommend visiting your doctor to identify what the issue is. 

Good luck,

Shane

Leslie’sHusband
            Participant

Thanks Shane,

Was your infection while the drain was still in place?  Hers has been out, and the site healed over since mid-June.  No redness or swelling now.  She did get a slight infection at the drain site during the first week post-surgery while the drain was in, but that was cleared up quickly with antibiotics.  She says that it mainly happens when she bends or squats down, and that it feels like that incision is burning.

Dave

Janner
              Participant

I could be something as simple as scar tissue that is "compressed" or "stretched" when she squats.  Also something benign like a seroma (fluid filled sac).  It doesn't have to be an infection or something bad because benign things might also realistically be the cause.

Janner
                Participant

I could be something as simple as scar tissue that is "compressed" or "stretched" when she squats.  Also something benign like a seroma (fluid filled sac).  It doesn't have to be an infection or something bad because benign things might also realistically be the cause.

Janner
                  Participant

Leslie’sHusband
                    Participant

Thanks Shane,

Was your infection while the drain was still in place?  Hers has been out, and the site healed over since mid-June.  No redness or swelling now.  She did get a slight infection at the drain site during the first week post-surgery while the drain was in, but that was cleared up quickly with antibiotics.  She says that it mainly happens when she bends or squats down, and that it feels like that incision is burning.

Dave

Leslie’sHusband
                      Participant

Thanks Shane,

Dave

odonoghue80
                      Participant

Hi Dave,

i had two lymphadenectomy in my groin about 5 years ago. After one of the surgeries I ended up having some pain and burning sensation right on the incision site and the area around the drain tube. It ended up being a serious infection and I had to be admitted into hospital for a few days. I can't remember what type of infection, or what it's called, but they can be dangerous but relatively common. I'm not trying to scare you but I'd recommend visiting your doctor to identify what the issue is. 

Good luck,

Shane

odonoghue80
                        Participant

Hi Dave,

Good luck,

Shane

Thandster
                          Participant

With no redness or swelling, infection is unlikely, but I'd still have her GP check to make sure. 

I had the groin dissection on both sides in December 2012, and for MONTHS had all kinds of wierd sensations in my thighs. One of which was burning. For the most part, time has helped that, but I still have it sometimes. Nerves are cut, stretched and just really jumbled around during this surgery and they repair themselves very slowly. They may never fully recover.  But I would just see your local doc to make sure it is not infection and then it may just require a lot of patience.

good luck!

Leslie’sHusband
                              Participant

Les is having other weird sensations in her thigh, too, but they seem to be slacking off a little.  We knew about them, based on what the surgeon told us, so they were not unexpected.  He told her that there could be some permanent sensation nerve damage, but most things should return to normal. 

Anyway, the last incision to heal is the one where the drain was, which is the one with the issue right now.  The nurse told here that what she is experiencing is not unusual, and that time, exercise, and stretching should help.  It is essentially the scar tissue being stretched/compressed that is causing the sensation.  Since there is no (continuous) pain, swelling or redness we are not concerned about an infection.  Dr. Tyler and his staff will get a good look at it when we go back down for the PET/CT next month.  They will also take measurements of her leg as part of the clinical trial for the laproscopic surgery.

Thank you!

Dave

Leslie’sHusband
                                Participant

Les is having other weird sensations in her thigh, too, but they seem to be slacking off a little.  We knew about them, based on what the surgeon told us, so they were not unexpected.  He told her that there could be some permanent sensation nerve damage, but most things should return to normal. 

Anyway, the last incision to heal is the one where the drain was, which is the one with the issue right now.  The nurse told here that what she is experiencing is not unusual, and that time, exercise, and stretching should help.  It is essentially the scar tissue being stretched/compressed that is causing the sensation.  Since there is no (continuous) pain, swelling or redness we are not concerned about an infection.  Dr. Tyler and his staff will get a good look at it when we go back down for the PET/CT next month.  They will also take measurements of her leg as part of the clinical trial for the laproscopic surgery.

Thank you!

Dave

Leslie’sHusband
                                  Participant

Thank you!

Dave

Thandster
                                  Participant

With no redness or swelling, infection is unlikely, but I'd still have her GP check to make sure. 

I had the groin dissection on both sides in December 2012, and for MONTHS had all kinds of wierd sensations in my thighs. One of which was burning. For the most part, time has helped that, but I still have it sometimes. Nerves are cut, stretched and just really jumbled around during this surgery and they repair themselves very slowly. They may never fully recover.  But I would just see your local doc to make sure it is not infection and then it may just require a lot of patience.

good luck!

Thandster
                                    Participant

good luck!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics