The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bucket lists

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Bucket lists

Participant

Forgive me for bringing up a topic that isn't maybe totally positive…. but how many of you or your loved ones with melanoma have bucket lists?

My husband has developed major depression since my melanoma diagnosis in 2013 and all my time and energy has gone to trying to help him get through this.  It isn't related to my diagnosis or anything.  It's just a life crisis of his own, mostly related to work I think.  Then my father passed from old age/cardiopulmonary failure in 2014, I lost a good friend with melanoma in 2015, and through it all I have been trying to help my husband, in spite of my own constant doctor visits and less than ideal prognosis.  It has been a nightmarish few years. 

I have a friend who mentioned the other day that I should have been working on a bucket list all this time.  She said it kindly.  She wants me to have happy years.  She wants me to live another 50… but just in case, she wants me to have a few bucket list, happy experiences.  So sweet!

You know, it's funny but I have thought of it before and I realize that would be ideal.  Life happens the way it happens, though, and it's not always ideal.

But I got to wondering about bucket lists and how common they are.  I would love to hear bucket list stories.

Maybe I will get to have a few.  Who knows.  I plan to outlive my prognosis!!  But do you have a bucket list?

I have just one:  To return to the ocean for a few days, where I grew up.

The friend I lost to mucosal melanoma in 2015:  She had an amazing bucket list and family and friends who were totally intent on helping her fulfill every last one.  It was so much fun to live through her vicariously!  I guess what I'm wondering is:  For those of you who are dealing with mucosal melanoma (somewhat poorer prognosis, though some of us are defying the odds!) or more advanced stage cutaneous melanoma, do you have a bucket list?  Do you take it seriously?  Are you living it?

Life is not always conducive to this, I know.  Just wondering how all of you are handling this.

Cheri

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Toby0987
        Participant

I'm 3b so not advanced but It really put my life in perspective. Before I fretted and worried about money and retirement and material things. Now I try to live by the motto "stuff doesn't matter". It is a daily thing I have to remind myself. I don't have a bucket list other than to spend as much time with my 3 and 5 year old as possible and just live out daily life with a great attitude. Many of the best experiences I had growing up revolve around just everyday things like hanging out with my mom fishing or walks with my dad. It seemed like the big Disney world trip I went  on as a kid faded into my mind. If I could sum it up with one word it would be contentment.

Toby0987
          Participant

I'm 3b so not advanced but It really put my life in perspective. Before I fretted and worried about money and retirement and material things. Now I try to live by the motto "stuff doesn't matter". It is a daily thing I have to remind myself. I don't have a bucket list other than to spend as much time with my 3 and 5 year old as possible and just live out daily life with a great attitude. Many of the best experiences I had growing up revolve around just everyday things like hanging out with my mom fishing or walks with my dad. It seemed like the big Disney world trip I went  on as a kid faded into my mind. If I could sum it up with one word it would be contentment.

Toby0987
            Participant

cancersnewnormal
              Participant

I was diagnosed stage IV in April 2013. At the time, I was so wrapped up in how to "fix" the situation, that I didn't think of anything but enjoying the very moment that I was in. Sunsets, the sounds of birds in the backyard, goofy romantic movies… I just wanted to absorb the beauty of everything I felt I had ignored while plodding through life with work each day. My husband took all of the family leave time that he could, and we would make daily trips to a coffee shop to enjoy some "us" time and reconnect like we did as a new couple. Eventually, things circled back around to a more typical routine. While I am forever changed, and will always find the best I can in even a mundane moment, we started moving ahead with bigger plans. With all of the time spent in doctor waiting rooms, we decided to learn a new language (Spanish). One check on the new bucket list! That got us started on wanting to visit Spain. In nearly 30 years of marriage, our only "vacations" had always included visiting either his family or mine. We'd never just gone anywhere for pure enjoyment. Obviously, this was a biggie, with expenses and the need for me to be healthy enough to travel. I thought that one would be a tougher check mark, but last summer, we left my radiation oncologist's office and headed straight to LAX for a flight to Barcelona the next morning. CHECK! Somewhere between learning Spanish, and making it to Spain, I fit in a Century Ride on my bicycle…. prompted by a friend in TN, who flew out to do the ride with us. I guess I don't have an actual, literal, list of things I'd like to do… they just kind of develop through ideas that my friends or family propose. When someone asks "You know what I think would be fun?" or "You know what I've always wanted to do?"… I think far more seriously about it now. I start to think, "why not?" and "how can we make this happen?". I don't have a big list of things I'd like to tackle, but spending time with friends and family, and taking on their wish list is a way to enjoy new things, and spend time doing them with the people I care to be around!  : ) 

cancersnewnormal
                Participant

I was diagnosed stage IV in April 2013. At the time, I was so wrapped up in how to "fix" the situation, that I didn't think of anything but enjoying the very moment that I was in. Sunsets, the sounds of birds in the backyard, goofy romantic movies… I just wanted to absorb the beauty of everything I felt I had ignored while plodding through life with work each day. My husband took all of the family leave time that he could, and we would make daily trips to a coffee shop to enjoy some "us" time and reconnect like we did as a new couple. Eventually, things circled back around to a more typical routine. While I am forever changed, and will always find the best I can in even a mundane moment, we started moving ahead with bigger plans. With all of the time spent in doctor waiting rooms, we decided to learn a new language (Spanish). One check on the new bucket list! That got us started on wanting to visit Spain. In nearly 30 years of marriage, our only "vacations" had always included visiting either his family or mine. We'd never just gone anywhere for pure enjoyment. Obviously, this was a biggie, with expenses and the need for me to be healthy enough to travel. I thought that one would be a tougher check mark, but last summer, we left my radiation oncologist's office and headed straight to LAX for a flight to Barcelona the next morning. CHECK! Somewhere between learning Spanish, and making it to Spain, I fit in a Century Ride on my bicycle…. prompted by a friend in TN, who flew out to do the ride with us. I guess I don't have an actual, literal, list of things I'd like to do… they just kind of develop through ideas that my friends or family propose. When someone asks "You know what I think would be fun?" or "You know what I've always wanted to do?"… I think far more seriously about it now. I start to think, "why not?" and "how can we make this happen?". I don't have a big list of things I'd like to tackle, but spending time with friends and family, and taking on their wish list is a way to enjoy new things, and spend time doing them with the people I care to be around!  : ) 

cancersnewnormal
                  Participant

Polymath
                    Participant

Bucket lists, of course!  But I must say I was most concerned in my first year after Stage IV diagnosis.  I made several trips to the mainland, to see friends, Son, Dad, and frankly most of all, to play in the snow.  I still remain committed to an annual vacation to go snowboarding, and to just walk through a quiet forest covered in white.  Nothing soothes my soul more than that. Life has a way of getting in the way of all you want to do.  I have obligations, and do not have unlimited resources so I accept to enjoy each day, spend time with my children and to just be thankful to be alive is reward enough.  OK, I still do really want to take a nice long ride on a motorcycle.  I need to make that happen.

Gary

Polymath
                      Participant

Bucket lists, of course!  But I must say I was most concerned in my first year after Stage IV diagnosis.  I made several trips to the mainland, to see friends, Son, Dad, and frankly most of all, to play in the snow.  I still remain committed to an annual vacation to go snowboarding, and to just walk through a quiet forest covered in white.  Nothing soothes my soul more than that. Life has a way of getting in the way of all you want to do.  I have obligations, and do not have unlimited resources so I accept to enjoy each day, spend time with my children and to just be thankful to be alive is reward enough.  OK, I still do really want to take a nice long ride on a motorcycle.  I need to make that happen.

Gary

Polymath
                        Participant

Gary

Jubes
                          Participant

I've had a very full life so I kind of reacted the opposite to the bucket list. It's a relief to not have to strive for excellence in the future and to accept fulfilment here and now. Happy to smell fresh mown lawn or wander down and enjoy a cappuccino. A cool glass of water on a hot day. I don't feel like I have to climb Everest. Funny with languages… that was one of the things that made me thoughtful. I speak several having lived all over the place and I thought what use is all the knowledge? It all dies with you. I guess when it comes to that stage you have to be happy with what you have aspired to and be ready to be at peace that the world will keep turning and that's as it should be. 

Jubes
                            Participant

I've had a very full life so I kind of reacted the opposite to the bucket list. It's a relief to not have to strive for excellence in the future and to accept fulfilment here and now. Happy to smell fresh mown lawn or wander down and enjoy a cappuccino. A cool glass of water on a hot day. I don't feel like I have to climb Everest. Funny with languages… that was one of the things that made me thoughtful. I speak several having lived all over the place and I thought what use is all the knowledge? It all dies with you. I guess when it comes to that stage you have to be happy with what you have aspired to and be ready to be at peace that the world will keep turning and that's as it should be. 

Jubes
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics