The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brining your Turkey?

Forums General Melanoma Community Brining your Turkey?

Participant

Last weekend I had the Food Channel on first thing in the morning. They had a WHOLE DAY of Thanksgiving recipes from all of the Foodies..alton, giada, the five ingrediants lady, the southern soul food couple (who made sweet taters with marshmellows on top)

I've come away convinced (by alton brown) that I should try to brine my turkey this year. It seems to me we had a discussion about this a couple of years ago. Wish I could find it. I think Fountainhead might have weighed in on the brining discussion.

Last weekend I had the Food Channel on first thing in the morning. They had a WHOLE DAY of Thanksgiving recipes from all of the Foodies..alton, giada, the five ingrediants lady, the southern soul food couple (who made sweet taters with marshmellows on top)

I've come away convinced (by alton brown) that I should try to brine my turkey this year. It seems to me we had a discussion about this a couple of years ago. Wish I could find it. I think Fountainhead might have weighed in on the brining discussion.

Anyway..yesterday I ventured into Walmart and bought myself a big, round, tall, igloo in which to do the deed, but I'd be happy to hear any TIPS any of you might have on the whole brining procedure.

Do you brine??

dian

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bonnie Lea
        Participant

No tips but I also watched the Alton Brown one last year, and was soooo tempted.  I have brined pork chops though.  Anyone who has done the brine thing swears by the juicy bird they end up with.  GOOD LUCK  take a picture of it through its stages, it would make for good viewing. 

enjoy

Bonnie Lea
          Participant

No tips but I also watched the Alton Brown one last year, and was soooo tempted.  I have brined pork chops though.  Anyone who has done the brine thing swears by the juicy bird they end up with.  GOOD LUCK  take a picture of it through its stages, it would make for good viewing. 

enjoy

Jerry from Cape Cod
            Participant

DIan,

I found some great links, I'll dig them out for you.  Wife is a stubborn traditionalist and won't let me brine the Thanksgiving bird so I think the next time I'm hanging a turkey while camping I'll brine them to see the results. 

Go for it.

Jerry from Cape Cod

dian in spokane
                Participant

Jerry.. A couple of days ago, I went and bought a big, keg shaped Igloo cooler..so I am DEFINATELY set to try it!

Jerry from Cape Cod
                  Participant

Dian,

Please let me know how it turns out.  I''ve got one hanging set for next year where i"m doing 3 birds for a large group.  The biggest drawback is that for the last few years Turkey prices have stayed high away from the big season of Thanksgiving. There is so much demand for Turkey products. 

We just bought our bird for 49 cents a pound. Summer prices around here are now over $1.00 a pound.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                    Participant

Dian,

Please let me know how it turns out.  I''ve got one hanging set for next year where i"m doing 3 birds for a large group.  The biggest drawback is that for the last few years Turkey prices have stayed high away from the big season of Thanksgiving. There is so much demand for Turkey products. 

We just bought our bird for 49 cents a pound. Summer prices around here are now over $1.00 a pound.

Jerry from Cape Cod

dian in spokane
                      Participant

Jerry.. A couple of days ago, I went and bought a big, keg shaped Igloo cooler..so I am DEFINATELY set to try it!

Jerry from Cape Cod
                      Participant

DIan,

I found some great links, I'll dig them out for you.  Wife is a stubborn traditionalist and won't let me brine the Thanksgiving bird so I think the next time I'm hanging a turkey while camping I'll brine them to see the results. 

Go for it.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics