The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Breslow thickness

Forums General Melanoma Community Breslow thickness

Participant

Hi,

I am new to all this. Had a shave biopsy a month ago that came back as melanoma. Path report lists the Breslow thickness 'at least .44' and the Clark level 'at least III'.  Four days ago I had the tumor out (not the WLE), &  in 2 weeks I go back to get stitches out & find out what's next.

My question is: how accurate is this due to having a shave biopsy and do I assume that those numbers will go up since it was only a tiny piece of a pretty large spot?

Thanks!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Unforunately, there is no way to know.  What you will find out is the depth of the lesion that was NOT biopsied.  The biopsied part will not give you any further info.  Even if they were to find more melanoma under that area, you can't just "add" the depth to the biopsy depth because the samples will never match up.  Shave biopsies are not the best choice for staging melanoma because this information is compromised.  So your melanoma is "at least" .44mm.  However since it appears this was only a partial biopsy, you will be able to get a definitive depth of the remaining portion.

Irishone21
            Participant

Thanks Janner. I don't think my derm thought it was melanoma & that's why they did a shave biopsy. I had noticed it went from flat to raised & because of that, she biopsied it. My primary care doc told me to have my derm check it, but thought it was 'fine'. Makes me realize how important it is to check myself & keep track with pictures etc.

Do you think everyone in this situation needs a surgical oncologist or is staying with a regular dermatologist enough?

Janner
              Participant

Depends – I'd want to see the depth of the rest of the lesion.  I've had 3 primaries, all stage 1b or less.  I've never seen a surgical oncologist.  My derm is a cutaneous oncologist – he only sees cancer related skin issues.  I've had a regular derm and this derm do all my excisions.  I'm fine with that.  But if you need a sentinel node biopsy, then that changes the playing field and it makes sense to go with the surgical oncologist because you need someone to do the SNB and knows their stuff.

Irishone21
                Participant

Good advice, thank you!

SDFun
                  Participant

Hi

My initial shaved biosby was .39 and I was told by my derm and a surgeon frined that I needed to have sential nodes tested when I had the esxcison. unforuataly 1 was positive but at least now we can plan for it. I think you need to get a second opion on wheather or not you need sentail nodes tested, each case is different

Irishone21
                    Participant

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your results. I go back to my doc in a week to get my stitches out & get the path results. My gut tells me he's going to want me to have the snlb, which I would def agree to put my mind at ease. What were your final path results for your excision?

Viewing 0 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics