The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brents Mek Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Brents Mek Trial

Participant

We just got the news from MDA that the tumors in his lungs are growing.  He has been on MEK for 13 months.  His regular Doctor was not available and we will be able to talk to him on Monday.  We are off the trial for now or at least until we can find the exact amount of increase, there seems to be room for interpertation.  But for now my question is WHAT NEXT?.  He is braf negative and Hla-2 negative.  NIH has a Til trial for HLA-2 negative Melanoma patients.  He has done luekine 2008,  Ipi with carbo and taxol 2009,  biochemo in jan of 2010, and

We just got the news from MDA that the tumors in his lungs are growing.  He has been on MEK for 13 months.  His regular Doctor was not available and we will be able to talk to him on Monday.  We are off the trial for now or at least until we can find the exact amount of increase, there seems to be room for interpertation.  But for now my question is WHAT NEXT?.  He is braf negative and Hla-2 negative.  NIH has a Til trial for HLA-2 negative Melanoma patients.  He has done luekine 2008,  Ipi with carbo and taxol 2009,  biochemo in jan of 2010, and MEK for the last 13 months.  Stil no surgery for melaona in the lungs.  Any Ideas or thoughts would help right now.  Thanks to all.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Jerry from Cape Cod
        Participant

Sharon,

Your best option is to wait for the regular doctor to look at the scans.  One of the little buggers in my lung showed growth on the CT.  It also caused problems in a major airway so I just had a lobectomy of the lower left lobe.  Interesting path showed that the tumor mass was shrinking, necrosis with some pneumonias added mass that was indistinguishable on the CT. 

Long story is that the lobectomy was warranted but the tumor was dying slowly.  It was just blocking off the lobe and causing infection problems in a lymph node that reduced the opening of the upper node.

So don't give up hope yet

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
          Participant

Sharon,

Your best option is to wait for the regular doctor to look at the scans.  One of the little buggers in my lung showed growth on the CT.  It also caused problems in a major airway so I just had a lobectomy of the lower left lobe.  Interesting path showed that the tumor mass was shrinking, necrosis with some pneumonias added mass that was indistinguishable on the CT. 

Long story is that the lobectomy was warranted but the tumor was dying slowly.  It was just blocking off the lobe and causing infection problems in a lymph node that reduced the opening of the upper node.

So don't give up hope yet

Jerry from Cape Cod

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics