The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain tumors- what to expect

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain tumors- what to expect

Participant

My Doctor just called yesterday and I have 3 brain tumors. This explains the recent very bad headaches.

I am wondering what treatments are done for brain tumors?. I want to go to my appt on Thursday with info.

The doctor prescribed Dexamethasone for  swelling. He said we will have to do radiation also, but this was just over the phone yesterday and we will be discussing more at my appt.

thank you

Kim

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Options are surgery, targeted radiation, Temodar or whole brain radiation.  Surgery depends on location of tumors.  Targeted radiation (Gamma Knife, CyberKnife….) is good when you don't have a lot of spots.  Temodar is a chemo that is easy to tolerate and passes the blood brain barrier – however it doesn't have fabulous numbers for "cure".  Whole brain radiation (WBR) is used when there are a lot of lesions in the brain but has more long term potential side effects.  Every one of these has been discussed on this site, so do some more searching here.

Kdw2012
            Participant

Thank you for the information to search for, I will look these things up.

Kdw2012
              Participant

Kdw2012
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

Options are surgery, targeted radiation, Temodar or whole brain radiation.  Surgery depends on location of tumors.  Targeted radiation (Gamma Knife, CyberKnife….) is good when you don't have a lot of spots.  Temodar is a chemo that is easy to tolerate and passes the blood brain barrier – however it doesn't have fabulous numbers for "cure".  Whole brain radiation (WBR) is used when there are a lot of lesions in the brain but has more long term potential side effects.  Every one of these has been discussed on this site, so do some more searching here.

Janner
                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

Also as a plan B like after you do radiation or something you might want to see if you can have your doc start you on ipi or preferably a pd1 like keytruda. Eva had awesome success with keytruda for her brain mets. Also there have been lots of stories that several docs are starting to believe that radiation and immunotherapy like ipi or pd1 works better together. I'll finally find out next Tuesday if that is true for me. Good luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

Also as a plan B like after you do radiation or something you might want to see if you can have your doc start you on ipi or preferably a pd1 like keytruda. Eva had awesome success with keytruda for her brain mets. Also there have been lots of stories that several docs are starting to believe that radiation and immunotherapy like ipi or pd1 works better together. I'll finally find out next Tuesday if that is true for me. Good luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Artie

ed williams
                          Participant

Hi Kim, I had Cyberknife treatments last oct 2013 and I still around and kicking up a storm. Mine were about 4-5 mm in size and size does matter when it comes to brain mets!!! Location is something that they also take into consideration. The surgeon will give you his best recommendation, and time is important with brain mets, so be prepared to go forward quickly. I wish you the best of luck!!!! Ed

ed williams
                              Participant

should have said " I am still around" I should reread my writing before posting. Ed

ed williams
                                Participant

should have said " I am still around" I should reread my writing before posting. Ed

ed williams
                                  Participant

ed williams
                                  Participant

Hi Kim, I had Cyberknife treatments last oct 2013 and I still around and kicking up a storm. Mine were about 4-5 mm in size and size does matter when it comes to brain mets!!! Location is something that they also take into consideration. The surgeon will give you his best recommendation, and time is important with brain mets, so be prepared to go forward quickly. I wish you the best of luck!!!! Ed

ed williams
                                    Participant

Carole K
                                      Participant

Hi Kim

I had one met and was headed for Gamma Knife to discover the tumor bled and burst  I had a craniotomy instead,  I did alternative treatment after which is not for everyone,  Alive and well , a bit od , lol  13 yrs 9 months NED and doing the Happy dance  Hang n there!!!!! NEVER EVER EVR GIVE UP HOPE,  

LOVE AND LIGHT

Cacrole K

Carole K
                                        Participant

Hi Kim

I had one met and was headed for Gamma Knife to discover the tumor bled and burst  I had a craniotomy instead,  I did alternative treatment after which is not for everyone,  Alive and well , a bit od , lol  13 yrs 9 months NED and doing the Happy dance  Hang n there!!!!! NEVER EVER EVR GIVE UP HOPE,  

LOVE AND LIGHT

Cacrole K

Carole K
                                          Participant

Hi Kim

LOVE AND LIGHT

Cacrole K

ilikepralinen
                                              Participant

Hallo Kim,

if Cyberknife / Gamm knife does not work, Ask your doctor for Brachytherapy.

Its an old technique, but still used by some Doctors.

My melanom tumor was 2cm in size. Had done brachytherapy in Mar 2014.

Its still there, but not grown in size.

According to doctors, the size will be reducing in the next couple of months.

If you need to read abt it, search in google : Iodine – 125 brachytherapy for brain tumors – a review

http://www.ro-journal.com/content/7/1/30

ilikepralinen
                                                Participant

Hallo Kim,

If you need to read abt it, search in google : Iodine – 125 brachytherapy for brain tumors – a review

kylez
                                                  Participant

Kim,

At each of the 2 facilities I was treated at (two different episodes), a multi-disciplinary 'tumor board' met to discuss my case among others. That's like a group discussion by a neurosurgeon, oncologist and radiation oncologist, where they collaborate to discuss what treatments they will recommend. I would ask if your case will be discussed by a multi-discipinary tumor board.

My brain mets were treated very similarly at the 2 different facilities (at 2 different points in time). Craniotomy for the bigger (3cm) tumors. Beam radiation — cyber knife once and gamma knife once — for the smaller ones, and to treat the resection cavity tumor beds. I haven't needed to go the more impactful step of whole brain radiation (WBR). With you being diagnosed with 3 brain tumors, I would bet the same for you, that beam radiation rather than WBR will probably be recommended.

One thing you might want to do is look into for a neurosurgery department with a high rating, for a second opinion at least. However accurate the following list is or isn't, it is a ranking — http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/neurology-and-neurosurgery. My subjective experience from being treated at 2 differen facilities is, it's as beneficial to see a great neurosurgery department as it is to look for a melanoma specializing oncologist. My second round of brain surgeries were done at the #5 ranked faclity.

I was having symptoms — not headaches but different ones. I knew the next step for me was getting through the week or so leading up to treatment. The dexamethasone helped a lot. The first time I also got a second opinion. The second time I was treated at the facility I had gotten the previous second opinion at.

As a sidebar, my neurosurgeon did discuss brachytherapy for me at one point using radiation seeds to line the inside of a post-resection cavity, if I needed his services again. It wasn't a technique my oncologist was familiar with for melanoma, but I am seen at a top neurosurgery program. I haven't had to go back to see my neurosurgeon, knock on wood – just my oncologist. Someone here had another technique used — instead of radiation seeds, a chemo-dispensing wafer was left in their resection cavity. Search MPIP for 'gliadel wafer'.

Let us know what your doc tells you, and how you are doing. 

– Kyle

kylez
                                                    Participant

Kim,

At each of the 2 facilities I was treated at (two different episodes), a multi-disciplinary 'tumor board' met to discuss my case among others. That's like a group discussion by a neurosurgeon, oncologist and radiation oncologist, where they collaborate to discuss what treatments they will recommend. I would ask if your case will be discussed by a multi-discipinary tumor board.

My brain mets were treated very similarly at the 2 different facilities (at 2 different points in time). Craniotomy for the bigger (3cm) tumors. Beam radiation — cyber knife once and gamma knife once — for the smaller ones, and to treat the resection cavity tumor beds. I haven't needed to go the more impactful step of whole brain radiation (WBR). With you being diagnosed with 3 brain tumors, I would bet the same for you, that beam radiation rather than WBR will probably be recommended.

One thing you might want to do is look into for a neurosurgery department with a high rating, for a second opinion at least. However accurate the following list is or isn't, it is a ranking — http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/neurology-and-neurosurgery. My subjective experience from being treated at 2 differen facilities is, it's as beneficial to see a great neurosurgery department as it is to look for a melanoma specializing oncologist. My second round of brain surgeries were done at the #5 ranked faclity.

I was having symptoms — not headaches but different ones. I knew the next step for me was getting through the week or so leading up to treatment. The dexamethasone helped a lot. The first time I also got a second opinion. The second time I was treated at the facility I had gotten the previous second opinion at.

As a sidebar, my neurosurgeon did discuss brachytherapy for me at one point using radiation seeds to line the inside of a post-resection cavity, if I needed his services again. It wasn't a technique my oncologist was familiar with for melanoma, but I am seen at a top neurosurgery program. I haven't had to go back to see my neurosurgeon, knock on wood – just my oncologist. Someone here had another technique used — instead of radiation seeds, a chemo-dispensing wafer was left in their resection cavity. Search MPIP for 'gliadel wafer'.

– Kyle

kylez
                                                      Participant

Kim,

– Kyle

kylez
                                                        Participant

Another thing to look into is whether there's any way to get systemic treatment (i.e., ipilimumab or another one) post-treatment. The second time around for me, I got ipilimumab starting just a couple of weeks after the last radiation treatment. My oncologist thinks that made a big difference holding down the cancer later on.

Kdw2012
                                                          Participant

Thank you everyone for your help and innformation. I did have Gamma and started ipi the following week and 2 more doses scheduled one the day after Christmas and then in Jan.

I am struggling with headaches and am on Dexamethasone for those.

We scan Brain in Feb annd body again in March.

This is a rough road to travel but I am tring to stay positive!!

kylez
                                                            Participant

Hi, 

I hear you that's it's been a tough road for you to travel. The headaches must be difficult, among other things they have probably been a daily vicseral reminder of the fact where you medical situation has been. I know I feel that way on some days where my head feels a little janky. May the swelling go down and the headaches begin to abate. I Hope good things for you from IPI. Hang in there and persist. Please keep us updated. Thinking of you.

– Kyle 

kylez
                                                              Participant

Hi, 

I hear you that's it's been a tough road for you to travel. The headaches must be difficult, among other things they have probably been a daily vicseral reminder of the fact where you medical situation has been. I know I feel that way on some days where my head feels a little janky. May the swelling go down and the headaches begin to abate. I Hope good things for you from IPI. Hang in there and persist. Please keep us updated. Thinking of you.

– Kyle 

kylez
                                                                Participant

Hi, 

– Kyle 

Kdw2012
                                                                  Participant

Thank you everyone for your help and innformation. I did have Gamma and started ipi the following week and 2 more doses scheduled one the day after Christmas and then in Jan.

Kdw2012
                                                                    Participant

kylez
                                                                      Participant

Another thing to look into is whether there's any way to get systemic treatment (i.e., ipilimumab or another one) post-treatment. The second time around for me, I got ipilimumab starting just a couple of weeks after the last radiation treatment. My oncologist thinks that made a big difference holding down the cancer later on.

kylez
                                                                        Participant

ilikepralinen
                                                                          Participant

Hallo Kim,

Kdw2012
                                                                          Participant

I now have 12 brain tumors and I am wondering how this will progress….. Any information would be helpful.

thank you

kim

Kdw2012
                                                                              Participant

I thought maybe I should provide more information.

in November they performed a MRI/ CT SCAN of the body with no tumors. Previously there was the original site on the back and the. A recurrence in left axillary lymph node in June complete removal. In November they also performed Brain MRI which discovered 3 small tumors these were treated with radiation the second week of November. I also started Yervoy at that time, 5 weeks later I started to have headaches more than usual and ear ringing hand shaking clumsiness, they did another MRI 9 more tumors were found. Whole brain radittion started on Christmas Eve.

Kdw2012
                                                                                Participant

in November they performed a MRI/ CT SCAN of the body with no tumors. Previously there was the original site on the back and the. A recurrence in left axillary lymph node in June complete removal. In November they also performed Brain MRI which discovered 3 small tumors these were treated with radiation the second week of November. I also started Yervoy at that time, 5 weeks later I started to have headaches more than usual and ear ringing hand shaking clumsiness, they did another MRI 9 more tumors were found. Whole brain radittion started on Christmas Eve.

Kdw2012
                                                                                  Participant

Kdw2012
                                                                                  Participant

I now have 12 brain tumors and I am wondering how this will progress….. Any information would be helpful.

thank you

kim

Kdw2012
                                                                                    Participant

thank you

kim

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics