The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

brain tumor

Forums General Melanoma Community brain tumor

Participant

a little info first, my moms first mm was in 1982 left heal had it removed   stage 1 level 5.   2001 encased in a lymphnode in her stomach surgery no other treatment she refused it, 2005 back to the same heal. same thing in 2009, with surgery to remove,  still only treatment was surgery,

a little info first, my moms first mm was in 1982 left heal had it removed   stage 1 level 5.   2001 encased in a lymphnode in her stomach surgery no other treatment she refused it, 2005 back to the same heal. same thing in 2009, with surgery to remove,  still only treatment was surgery,

2011 back again same spot on foot, now they want to remove the leg under the knee , she refused that, took new drug that starts with  a Zo  was working but she stopped it said it messed her stomach up , now the found a 2 cm mass in right tempral part of brain one dr said yes its mm and one said he did not think so and he wwould not know unless he removed it,   all she heard was it may not be cancer and went home to do nothing  she she does not want to have surgery and she put it in Gods hands ,  so i guess this is my ?  with the tumor being 2cm  how long would she have  by doing nothing. thank you

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        runnergirl
        Participant

I am so sorry to hear that you have been dealing with the beast for so long.  How old is your Mother?

runnergirl
          Participant

I am so sorry to hear that you have been dealing with the beast for so long.  How old is your Mother?

runnergirl
            Participant

lhaley
              Participant

I'm sorry to hear this.  In the beginning of Oct they discovered I had a 2.5 cm brain tumor and then it started to bleed.  I had a radiation procedure called SRS and many have a similar procedure to be called gamma knife. Either way the procedure is done as an out patient and takes one day.  

For me my tumor shrunk but caused edema. I had a crainectomy about 6 weeks ago. At that time they found out that the tumor had now killed 70% of the tumor and finished removing it.  I ended up staying in the hospital for a few days.  If you would like me to contact your mother I'd be glad to.  I'm not saying it's been easy because I was on steroids for quite awhile but I'm off of them now and everyday I've been improving. 

My thoughts are that your mom just feels that their isn't a chance that she will recover. She is probably frightnened right now.  By the way, they also can do a needle biopsy with a brain met also if she needs to be told that it is melanoma. 

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

I'm sorry to hear this.  In the beginning of Oct they discovered I had a 2.5 cm brain tumor and then it started to bleed.  I had a radiation procedure called SRS and many have a similar procedure to be called gamma knife. Either way the procedure is done as an out patient and takes one day.  

For me my tumor shrunk but caused edema. I had a crainectomy about 6 weeks ago. At that time they found out that the tumor had now killed 70% of the tumor and finished removing it.  I ended up staying in the hospital for a few days.  If you would like me to contact your mother I'd be glad to.  I'm not saying it's been easy because I was on steroids for quite awhile but I'm off of them now and everyday I've been improving. 

My thoughts are that your mom just feels that their isn't a chance that she will recover. She is probably frightnened right now.  By the way, they also can do a needle biopsy with a brain met also if she needs to be told that it is melanoma. 

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Linda

ElaineLinn
                    Participant

first I want to say how sorry I am that your mom has to go through all this. Then I will tell you my story. I am a 46 year old grandma that found out that I had mm about 3 years ago. First starting with a mole on my back which was removed , later a wider incision done. No other treatments because the dr didnt think it was deep enought. 1 year later they found that it had moved into lymnodes in my neck. I had surgery to remove 48 lymnode in neck,back, shoulder and chest area.. ONLY 1 of those came back MM. I chose to do the a treatment that I gave my self shots 14 days on and 14days off. I did these for 6 months and found out that the cancer had spred to my lungs. They can not do surgery on this but dr thought that I would benifit from the Yevroy treatments so I had my second treatment the last of Feb. just a few days after the 2nd treatment I started taking seizures and ended up in the hospital finding out that I had a  1 1/2 cm tumor on my brain. I had the choise of Gamma knife or the cranium surgery. But then they offered to put me on the Bendmuskmin trial that is where they gave me 3 treatments of Chemo for 3 days before the surgery and then on the 3rd dose they did the surgery. I spent 3 days after the surgery in the hospital then home to recover. I will not say it has been easy, But it is not what I expected , my main trouble is vision loss because of the swell, with headaches. Which is controlled with meds. I also believe that God will do what is right for me, and he has been so good to me. But I am going to fight this cancer for as long as I can because I do beleve that God will help me through anything that this cancer throws at me.

ElaineLinn
                      Participant

first I want to say how sorry I am that your mom has to go through all this. Then I will tell you my story. I am a 46 year old grandma that found out that I had mm about 3 years ago. First starting with a mole on my back which was removed , later a wider incision done. No other treatments because the dr didnt think it was deep enought. 1 year later they found that it had moved into lymnodes in my neck. I had surgery to remove 48 lymnode in neck,back, shoulder and chest area.. ONLY 1 of those came back MM. I chose to do the a treatment that I gave my self shots 14 days on and 14days off. I did these for 6 months and found out that the cancer had spred to my lungs. They can not do surgery on this but dr thought that I would benifit from the Yevroy treatments so I had my second treatment the last of Feb. just a few days after the 2nd treatment I started taking seizures and ended up in the hospital finding out that I had a  1 1/2 cm tumor on my brain. I had the choise of Gamma knife or the cranium surgery. But then they offered to put me on the Bendmuskmin trial that is where they gave me 3 treatments of Chemo for 3 days before the surgery and then on the 3rd dose they did the surgery. I spent 3 days after the surgery in the hospital then home to recover. I will not say it has been easy, But it is not what I expected , my main trouble is vision loss because of the swell, with headaches. Which is controlled with meds. I also believe that God will do what is right for me, and he has been so good to me. But I am going to fight this cancer for as long as I can because I do beleve that God will help me through anything that this cancer throws at me.

ElaineLinn
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics