The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Surgery Friday!

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain Surgery Friday!

Participant

Dirk decided to go ahead with the brain surgery for the biggest tumor.  It is scheduled for Friday at MD Anderson.  The doc will harvest the tumor for t-cell trial along with tissue from his side.  We hope that it will be successful and grow new t-cells. We need to do a bunch of pre-surgery stuff tomorrow.  After recovery, in a couple weeks, they will zap the smaller three (hopefully) and then start him on temodar or Bio-chemo (not sure what Dr. Papa will go with).

Dirk decided to go ahead with the brain surgery for the biggest tumor.  It is scheduled for Friday at MD Anderson.  The doc will harvest the tumor for t-cell trial along with tissue from his side.  We hope that it will be successful and grow new t-cells. We need to do a bunch of pre-surgery stuff tomorrow.  After recovery, in a couple weeks, they will zap the smaller three (hopefully) and then start him on temodar or Bio-chemo (not sure what Dr. Papa will go with).

On a good note, we are signing a lease on a house in Katy tonight. The owner has stripped the flooring and is installing new tile and carpeting, paint and cleaning.  Hopefully it will be ready to move into Saturday or Sunday.  Then I can bring Dirk to a more comfortable place on Monday when he is released form the hospital. I was worried about bringing him back to the hotel for recovery!!

He is a little upset that I will be doing the unloading & moving on my own.  He is worried about how I will get his motorcycle off the U-haul without damage.  I'm worried about driving a big 26 foot truck!!   Just need 3 or 4 BIG guys to unload the truck!!

Gonna be a crazy weekend for me!!!   

Jan (wife to Dirk, stage 4)

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jan in OC
        Participant

Oh yeah, any advice on what I can expect during recovery?  Thing I can do to help him?

KatyWI
            Participant

Try not to let him do too much in the first couple days.  Mindless TV, reading, or a quiet hobby (am guessing he doens't knit, but something about that speed!)  My husband was told not to leave me alone for the first week or so, just in case of complications.

He will probably be put on anti-seizure drugs for as long as a couple months after surgery as a preventative.  I was on Keppra.  I did not have any issues with these short-term, but longer term they may make him feel a little more short-tempered than usual.  It's not forever, so try to put up with it.  I ended up going off after six weeks because we thought they might be causung a persistent headache I was having. 

He may be on steroids for a short period of time as well.  These can disrupt sleep; I found that to be the most troublesome side effect.  I had been on them before surgery to control the effects of the tumor so it took some time to get off.  If he has not been on steroids, he may not need them at all, or he may be on and off so fast he does't even notice it.

Best wishes for an uneventful move and an even less eventful "re-move-al".

KatyWI

KatyWI
              Participant

Try not to let him do too much in the first couple days.  Mindless TV, reading, or a quiet hobby (am guessing he doens't knit, but something about that speed!)  My husband was told not to leave me alone for the first week or so, just in case of complications.

He will probably be put on anti-seizure drugs for as long as a couple months after surgery as a preventative.  I was on Keppra.  I did not have any issues with these short-term, but longer term they may make him feel a little more short-tempered than usual.  It's not forever, so try to put up with it.  I ended up going off after six weeks because we thought they might be causung a persistent headache I was having. 

He may be on steroids for a short period of time as well.  These can disrupt sleep; I found that to be the most troublesome side effect.  I had been on them before surgery to control the effects of the tumor so it took some time to get off.  If he has not been on steroids, he may not need them at all, or he may be on and off so fast he does't even notice it.

Best wishes for an uneventful move and an even less eventful "re-move-al".

KatyWI

Jan in OC
              Participant

Oh yeah, any advice on what I can expect during recovery?  Thing I can do to help him?

mombase
                Participant

Hi Jan,

It sounds like you are going to have a VERY eventful week and weekend! I know U-Haul contracts with local hourly movers and they have good hourly rates. It might be worth it! Or, maybe you could check with a local church to see if someone might be available to help unload the truck. There are so many people out of work right now that you should be able to find someone without paying a lot.

On the tumor surgery note, I have had two totally differing experiences. The first tumor I had removed a year ago was behind my ear and pretty close to the brain stem. Because of the location, I was under for 12 hours and had a little bit of a difficult recovery. I was in the hospital for two weeks. The first couple of days I did not want to do anything, not read, not watch tv, nothing. But then each day got progressively better. I had to have physical therapy help with walking, but by the end of the first week, I was running laps around the unit!

The tumor I had removed a month ago was a totally different experience. It was located in the top left part of my brain very close to the skull. The surgery was 3 hours in length and I went home the next day. The worst side effect was the itching at the incision site!

I know for me, leg massages were a very nice addition to the compression socks. I don't know how he feels about touch, but I really appreciate massage in areas that were practical while in the hospital and at home. Fresh air and flowers helped me, too.

Here is hoping that Dirk has a very easy surgery and recovery!

Cristy, Stage IV

Jan in OC
                    Participant

Thanks

I used U-Haul's helpers to load the truck in California, so I will try to use them here too.  Dirk is concerned about his motorcycle, he will not be here to supervise the unloading and feels that no one will take the same care as he would, because they don't own it.  The bike weighs about 400 pounds and it took a few big guys to roll it up that skinny ramp.  Not sure how to get it back out!

As for Dirk's tumor, it is located in the left frontal lobe, so they think it will be easy to access and hope for easy recovery.  He is getting more moody and grouchy the closer we get.  He is picking on all of the little ants to keep from worrying about the big pink elephant!  

I think he is kinda freaked about the hole in his head!  He just about ran the other way when the doc mentioned a plate and screws!  

I just don't know what to say to reassure him.

Jan

mombase
                      Participant

Oh, shoot, that bike is like a baby.  This is going to sound weird, but I would check around to see if there are any motorcycle clubs that would be willing to send over a few guys to unload the bike. That area is so huge and I am sure there are guys that would be willing to help. I would call the closest Harley store and ask.

As far as the tumor goes, the tumor behind my ear was 3.5 cm and they did not use a plate and screws, instead they used titanium mesh. The other tumor was on the right frontal lobe and was a bit smaller…2 cm…mesh was used on this as well.  The sutures were not even staples, and the scar is a work of art.  Are you  sure they have to use a plate and screws?

If so, I don't have any experience in that arena. Hopefully someone else on the board will have some suggestions!

Cristy

CAdesiree
                        Participant

she is right, most motorcycle clubs would send someone to help.  might even help you unload the uhaul.  if you are in katy TX i can find someone to help you move the bike and unload.  i just finished the harly davidson service technician program at MMI phoenix.  and my hubby is from TX, we know a few guys there with bikes.  and we might even be able to talk them into helping you unload.  let me know.  if you are interested email me directly.

my name is desiree and my email is [email protected]

good luck & will keep your family in our thoughts & prayers

CAdesiree
                          Participant

she is right, most motorcycle clubs would send someone to help.  might even help you unload the uhaul.  if you are in katy TX i can find someone to help you move the bike and unload.  i just finished the harly davidson service technician program at MMI phoenix.  and my hubby is from TX, we know a few guys there with bikes.  and we might even be able to talk them into helping you unload.  let me know.  if you are interested email me directly.

my name is desiree and my email is [email protected]

good luck & will keep your family in our thoughts & prayers

mombase
                            Participant

Oh, shoot, that bike is like a baby.  This is going to sound weird, but I would check around to see if there are any motorcycle clubs that would be willing to send over a few guys to unload the bike. That area is so huge and I am sure there are guys that would be willing to help. I would call the closest Harley store and ask.

As far as the tumor goes, the tumor behind my ear was 3.5 cm and they did not use a plate and screws, instead they used titanium mesh. The other tumor was on the right frontal lobe and was a bit smaller…2 cm…mesh was used on this as well.  The sutures were not even staples, and the scar is a work of art.  Are you  sure they have to use a plate and screws?

If so, I don't have any experience in that arena. Hopefully someone else on the board will have some suggestions!

Cristy

Jan in OC
                              Participant

Thanks

I used U-Haul's helpers to load the truck in California, so I will try to use them here too.  Dirk is concerned about his motorcycle, he will not be here to supervise the unloading and feels that no one will take the same care as he would, because they don't own it.  The bike weighs about 400 pounds and it took a few big guys to roll it up that skinny ramp.  Not sure how to get it back out!

As for Dirk's tumor, it is located in the left frontal lobe, so they think it will be easy to access and hope for easy recovery.  He is getting more moody and grouchy the closer we get.  He is picking on all of the little ants to keep from worrying about the big pink elephant!  

I think he is kinda freaked about the hole in his head!  He just about ran the other way when the doc mentioned a plate and screws!  

I just don't know what to say to reassure him.

Jan

mombase
                              Participant

Hi Jan,

It sounds like you are going to have a VERY eventful week and weekend! I know U-Haul contracts with local hourly movers and they have good hourly rates. It might be worth it! Or, maybe you could check with a local church to see if someone might be available to help unload the truck. There are so many people out of work right now that you should be able to find someone without paying a lot.

On the tumor surgery note, I have had two totally differing experiences. The first tumor I had removed a year ago was behind my ear and pretty close to the brain stem. Because of the location, I was under for 12 hours and had a little bit of a difficult recovery. I was in the hospital for two weeks. The first couple of days I did not want to do anything, not read, not watch tv, nothing. But then each day got progressively better. I had to have physical therapy help with walking, but by the end of the first week, I was running laps around the unit!

The tumor I had removed a month ago was a totally different experience. It was located in the top left part of my brain very close to the skull. The surgery was 3 hours in length and I went home the next day. The worst side effect was the itching at the incision site!

I know for me, leg massages were a very nice addition to the compression socks. I don't know how he feels about touch, but I really appreciate massage in areas that were practical while in the hospital and at home. Fresh air and flowers helped me, too.

Here is hoping that Dirk has a very easy surgery and recovery!

Cristy, Stage IV

RMcLegal
                                Participant

Best wishes for successful surgery and treatment!

RMcLegal
                                  Participant

Best wishes for successful surgery and treatment!

triciad
                                    Participant

Jan,

I don't have any knowledge or experience with brain surgery or moving motorcycles, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck!  Rest up now because it sounds like a busy week for you and Dirk.

God bless,

Tricia

triciad
                                      Participant

Jan,

I don't have any knowledge or experience with brain surgery or moving motorcycles, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck!  Rest up now because it sounds like a busy week for you and Dirk.

God bless,

Tricia

CAdesiree
                                        Participant

you & he have been in my prayers since i first read your post.  i looked up where you moving to… we have friends in houston.  when we were at school a kid got in a horrible accident on a bike… my hubby and i raised money to help him get home to his family in houston.  but he had gone to school with some of his friends from growing up.  they have finished school and are back in houston.  they told us if we ever needed anything they would help.  so, if you need help to unload bike or your stuff i can call them.  they would NOT ask for anything.  they are very good guys.  they have just been waiting for an opportunity to help us.  i posted my email in another reply.  if you email me directly i will reply with my phone number.  i just want to help you as his caregiver…  wouldnt this world be such a better place if more people helped others…

CAdesiree
                                          Participant

you & he have been in my prayers since i first read your post.  i looked up where you moving to… we have friends in houston.  when we were at school a kid got in a horrible accident on a bike… my hubby and i raised money to help him get home to his family in houston.  but he had gone to school with some of his friends from growing up.  they have finished school and are back in houston.  they told us if we ever needed anything they would help.  so, if you need help to unload bike or your stuff i can call them.  they would NOT ask for anything.  they are very good guys.  they have just been waiting for an opportunity to help us.  i posted my email in another reply.  if you email me directly i will reply with my phone number.  i just want to help you as his caregiver…  wouldnt this world be such a better place if more people helped others…

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics