The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain scan results coming up – what to expect

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain scan results coming up – what to expect

Participant
      My dad had his brain scan on Friday. It has been a little more than a month since he finished whole brain radiation. Does anyone have any ideas of what we might see on the scan? Just really nervous and want to know what to expect. He had 13 Mets in the brain, ranging from 2 millimeters to 15 millimeters.

He is feeling great now. No issues with speech and plenty of energy. Living his life as normal. No headaches, no mood changes. I would think this is a good sign. Especially since all this started with seizures.

For those of you who have had brain radiation, did it work?

The doctors are saying that depending on how the scan looks they will determine treatment based on that. If it looks like there is activity even after radiation, they will start him on the Inhibitors. Otherwise they feel comfortable getting him on Opdivo.

I know radiation is just a temporary fix. How long did it take before your tumors started growing again.

Please share your experiences. Thank you!

Annie

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hi Annie,

It is hard to say what they will see on the scans.  They may see "dark holes" where the tumors have been zapped into nothingness.  However, they are more likely to see resolving areas, some swelling, and such as I recall your dad's radiation was not that long ago.  Yes, alone…radiation may be a temporary fix.  However, followed rapidly with immunotherapy and even targeted therapy (within 4 weeks is best…there are many reports regarding the safety and benefit of the combination on my blog)…the results are much, much, better than radition alone.  Think President Jimmy Carter….and ME…and many others!  Had had one brain tumor zapped in April 2010.  Finally got into an Opdivo trial in December (cause that was back in the day and anti-PD1 was just being studied!!!) and another small brain tumor was found…but by 3 month re-scan it was gone….AND…brain tumors have yet to recur.  So…despite the horror that is melanoma….it is not ALL doom and gloom…even for those of us with holey heads!!!  Get systemic therapy going as soon as you can!  yours, c

Bubbles
          Participant

Hi Annie,

It is hard to say what they will see on the scans.  They may see "dark holes" where the tumors have been zapped into nothingness.  However, they are more likely to see resolving areas, some swelling, and such as I recall your dad's radiation was not that long ago.  Yes, alone…radiation may be a temporary fix.  However, followed rapidly with immunotherapy and even targeted therapy (within 4 weeks is best…there are many reports regarding the safety and benefit of the combination on my blog)…the results are much, much, better than radition alone.  Think President Jimmy Carter….and ME…and many others!  Had had one brain tumor zapped in April 2010.  Finally got into an Opdivo trial in December (cause that was back in the day and anti-PD1 was just being studied!!!) and another small brain tumor was found…but by 3 month re-scan it was gone….AND…brain tumors have yet to recur.  So…despite the horror that is melanoma….it is not ALL doom and gloom…even for those of us with holey heads!!!  Get systemic therapy going as soon as you can!  yours, c

Bubbles
            Participant

Hi Annie,

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics