The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

brain scan report

Forums General Melanoma Community brain scan report

Participant

Hi – Derek's brain MRI done last week – before he started the P13 K and MEK combo trial – results were:

– a tiny dot (2 – 3 mm in diameter) of enhancement is noted centrally in the pons as well as on the coronal and sagittal reconstructions

– there is no clear evidence of edems but a small region of blooming noted in this are on the gradient echo sequence – could represent a small capillary telangiectasia but a metastic deposit cannot be ruled out – follow up is needed

Hi – Derek's brain MRI done last week – before he started the P13 K and MEK combo trial – results were:

– a tiny dot (2 – 3 mm in diameter) of enhancement is noted centrally in the pons as well as on the coronal and sagittal reconstructions

– there is no clear evidence of edems but a small region of blooming noted in this are on the gradient echo sequence – could represent a small capillary telangiectasia but a metastic deposit cannot be ruled out – follow up is needed

They wetnt ahead and started his treatment.  My question is I have another MRI of the head done in Aug 2010 at another cancer centre should I ask them to compare the two to see if these were there or just wait for follow up – I am a little afraid to wait and afraid to know if these are mets to the brain

I woulod have thought they would have thought to compare them already – need help

Terra

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Hi Terra,  I would definately call and see if your doctor has the previous MRI, if he does not I'd take it in.  Scans don't mean to much unless there is a base line. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

Hi Terra,  I would definately call and see if your doctor has the previous MRI, if he does not I'd take it in.  Scans don't mean to much unless there is a base line. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

Sharyn
            Participant

Yes, Terra, get a copy of the Aug MRI to compare, for sure. It's always good to have one central location for all your scans, especially when you're goinf to different centres. I know the fear of brain mets is scary, but the sooner Derek gets a report, the better chance he has of zapping the mets while they're still small — if indeed there are any at all.

Hang in there!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
              Participant

Yes, Terra, get a copy of the Aug MRI to compare, for sure. It's always good to have one central location for all your scans, especially when you're goinf to different centres. I know the fear of brain mets is scary, but the sooner Derek gets a report, the better chance he has of zapping the mets while they're still small — if indeed there are any at all.

Hang in there!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics