The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Mets & Progression

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Brain Mets & Progression

Participant

Hi all & sorry for dropping off the boards in between "scares" – time seems scattered lately and it passes in disjointed ways…

It has been about a year since my diagnosis of mucosal melanoma with brain mets, and tomorrow I go for the  results of my latest scans (MRI + CT). I've been through all 4 ipi/nivo treatments, dealt with a whole host of unnervving side effects, and then took a break when my last set of scans came up NED. But 2 months later, preliminary results show progression in the brain again, and I've been feeling "off" for weeks – off balance, faint sometimes (especially when I stand up after sitting for awhile), ringing in the ears, etc. 

Tomorrow is my appointment with my oncologist to hear what the new plan is, but I am quite nervous. One big worry I have is whether gamma knife (which I've had twice so far) ALWAYS works…is it possible for brain mets to dodge that big zapper? Has anyone heard of melanoma brain tumors being resistant to gamma knife treatment?

Many thanks in advance as always for the support & wealth of personal & specific experience shared on this board…am so thankful for this community!!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Patina
        Participant
          Hi,

You can have a brain met that has a reoccurrence. Doctors do not like to retreat these mets and recommend a craniotomy.

From what you have said it could be a reoccurrence or a met that had not been visible yet.

My Mom experienced this after she was treated with ipi, with otherwise excellent results. She had a craniotomy for the reoccurrence and gamma knife radiation for the new brain met and then went on Keytruda.

In the last MRI 26 brain mets could not be found and the evidence of the craniotomy and just 1 treated brain met was visible.

I would get in ASAP because of the risk of a seizure which can have significant effects.

Good luck.

Patina
          Participant
            Hi,

You can have a brain met that has a reoccurrence. Doctors do not like to retreat these mets and recommend a craniotomy.

From what you have said it could be a reoccurrence or a met that had not been visible yet.

My Mom experienced this after she was treated with ipi, with otherwise excellent results. She had a craniotomy for the reoccurrence and gamma knife radiation for the new brain met and then went on Keytruda.

In the last MRI 26 brain mets could not be found and the evidence of the craniotomy and just 1 treated brain met was visible.

I would get in ASAP because of the risk of a seizure which can have significant effects.

Good luck.

Patina
            Participant
              Hi,

Good luck.

Bubbles
              Participant

Hi Maria,

Sorry you are dealing with this AGAIN!!!!  I don't know of any brain tumor becoming "resistant" to radiation….if they can zap the tumor….given location and such….it is usually done for.  However, some folks have more trouble with the fact that different ones keep popping up, despite others having been treated. And, certainly…surgical removal is used at times as well.  However, we know that systemic therapy certainly aids radiaiton therapy in the body as well as the brain. I realize you've done ipi/nivo…but perhaps there are other options for you.  Here is the latests out of ASCO on brain mets…as well as one other article and some additional links:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/asco-2016-immunotherapy-in-melanoma.html

That may just be a review of what you already know.  But, for what it's worth…

I wish you my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Hi Maria,

Sorry you are dealing with this AGAIN!!!!  I don't know of any brain tumor becoming "resistant" to radiation….if they can zap the tumor….given location and such….it is usually done for.  However, some folks have more trouble with the fact that different ones keep popping up, despite others having been treated. And, certainly…surgical removal is used at times as well.  However, we know that systemic therapy certainly aids radiaiton therapy in the body as well as the brain. I realize you've done ipi/nivo…but perhaps there are other options for you.  Here is the latests out of ASCO on brain mets…as well as one other article and some additional links:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/asco-2016-immunotherapy-in-melanoma.html

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hi Maria,

Maria C
                    Participant

Hi Patina & Celeste –

Thanks so much for your response. This is getting scary & lonely so I really appreciate the community & information here. Truly invaluable.

The follow-up appt. yesterday with the cancer center did not go well. Apparently one of the brain mets escaped the gamma knife treatment and has grown these past 8 weeks beween scans. A craniotomy is now being recommended, followed by whole brain radiation, which is my understanding is a LAST resort. Naturally I'm petrified.

The location and size (over 4 cm) of the brain met necessitates a 5-hour operation. I've been off immunotherapy for at least 2 months because I was overly confident when the last MRI showed no new mets, and just 2 in "death" stages. Apparently one of those wasn't dying at all, and in fact has grown into a monster that now needs surgical attention.

So now, say the operation goes well, I'm facing a 6-week recovery during which time I can't go back on immunotherapy, giving opportunity for the 2 new small mets in the brain to grow unchecked.

Really trying not to lose hope … coming on my 1-year anniversary of battling melanoma with all serious threats going on in my brain; the rest of my body is clear.

Am feeling like I'm on count down…yet grateful I've had a year to prepare myself and my family with what lies ahead. The ups & downs of this past year is nothing compared to what I'm about to face next. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this board and the opportunity to give voice to our triumphs, our setbacks, and all our fears….

Bubbles
                        Participant

Hey Maria,

So sorry for all of it.  Perhaps Kyle Z will respond….he has dealt with many brain met recurrences…some requiring surgery and is still ticking right along!!  So there is hope….though I don't blame you for feeling the path has been more than sucky!!!  Are you BRAF+ by any chance…because BRAF inhibitors have been proven to be effective in brain mets as well….????  However, there are other systemic treatments you might ask about.  For instance, Kyle is doing nivo with lirilumab and I believe it has been working well for him.

Fingers crossed for you and yours.  Celeste

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hey Maria,

So sorry for all of it.  Perhaps Kyle Z will respond….he has dealt with many brain met recurrences…some requiring surgery and is still ticking right along!!  So there is hope….though I don't blame you for feeling the path has been more than sucky!!!  Are you BRAF+ by any chance…because BRAF inhibitors have been proven to be effective in brain mets as well….????  However, there are other systemic treatments you might ask about.  For instance, Kyle is doing nivo with lirilumab and I believe it has been working well for him.

Maria C
                            Participant

Thanks so much for responding, Celeste. I think I'm c-kit positive (I have mucosal melanoma), but at this point the tumor is growing too large too quickly to wait for systemic treatment. I have been wobbly & disoriented for months now, but when I called in my symptoms I was told that's "normal" for post gamma knife treatment.

I DO want to learn alternatives to the whole brain radiation though which is what my surgeon is recommending after surgery, if I make it through the operation. I don't understand why they won't try gamma knife again to get the other smaller mets. Setting up a second opinion at Sloan for next week, and will definitely ask about the nivo with lirilumab combo.

Any further thoughts most welcome. Thanks for all!

Maria C
                              Participant

Thanks so much for responding, Celeste. I think I'm c-kit positive (I have mucosal melanoma), but at this point the tumor is growing too large too quickly to wait for systemic treatment. I have been wobbly & disoriented for months now, but when I called in my symptoms I was told that's "normal" for post gamma knife treatment.

I DO want to learn alternatives to the whole brain radiation though which is what my surgeon is recommending after surgery, if I make it through the operation. I don't understand why they won't try gamma knife again to get the other smaller mets. Setting up a second opinion at Sloan for next week, and will definitely ask about the nivo with lirilumab combo.

Maria C
                                Participant

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Maria,

I'll keep thinking and looking. I am so glad that you are seeking a second opinion. I just don't see the point of WBR. The damage might (might!!!!!!!!!!) somehow be worth it IF the data showed outcomes were better. Sadly, that is not what the data shows us. Hang in there. Seek care and all your options! C

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Maria,

I'll keep thinking and looking. I am so glad that you are seeking a second opinion. I just don't see the point of WBR. The damage might (might!!!!!!!!!!) somehow be worth it IF the data showed outcomes were better. Sadly, that is not what the data shows us. Hang in there. Seek care and all your options! C

Bubbles
                                      Participant

Maria,

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Hey Maria,

kylez
                                          Participant

Hi Maria,

I was also very scared at the possibility of whole brain radiation/WBR. I am really glad that for my second brain surgery in 2011 I was able to be treated at UCSF. They did Gamma Knife afterwards, and there was no talk of WBR. That's the main thing I would strongly question if WBR was recommended to me at any point, especially depending on what doctors/facility I was being treated at.

Given that, if there's time before your upcoming craniotomy surgery, or right after, for myself I would seek a second opinion at a major cancer center on whether the radiation follow-up to surgery can be Gamma Knife or Cyber Knife (or etc) as opposed to WBR. I don't know where you're being treated. But major centers like Yale and UCSF will prefer to treat with Gamma Knife even if it's a dozen or twenty or more brain mets with Gamma Knife rather than WBR, depending on the circumstances. A big place like that is also good at fighting down insurance companies who may try to approve only cheaper WBR. A UCSF or Yale has the credibility to tell the insurance company when Gamma Knife (etc) is appropriate and has good results, even with more than 3 tumors, which is the obsolete insurance cut-off point for only recommending WBR. 

Anyway, like you, in 2011 one of my brain mets failed the CyberKnife treatment I got in 2010, and grew back to about 3.5 cm before surgery. It also spread to a few other places in my brain too. At that point UCSF did a double craniotomy, physically taking out two. Then very quickly after (two weeks only) they followed up with Gamma Knife to the two resected tumor beds. And also they radiated two much smaller spots that they didn't do surgery on.

One thing I'll say about actual brain surgery, is that it was nice to feel that they actually physically got that stuff out of my head. Opened it up, scraped it out, good and gone, knock on wood. 

Obviously I'm not a doctor so I don't know what reasons your doctors may be recommending WBR over follow-up with Gamma Knife. Even if it's a prestigious cancer center I would likely still ask for a second opinion if they were telling me WBR.

Good luck on your surgery and the radiation follow-up, whichever way it needs to go. 
                                            And on getting a second opinion if you choose to do that.

Maria C
                                            Participant

Wow, you guys are the absolute best. What a treasure trove of info & support during this incredibly scary time. Love you all!!

Kyle, I am a patient at Yale, getting the second opinion at Sloan. I was dismayed when my surgeon at Yale recommended WBR after the craniotomy over another gamma knife procedure because one of the tumors got away. I read up enough to know WBR is practically useless as a last resort which makes me now wonder why I should even go through the pain & recovery of the craniotomy if that's the next line of treatment. I believe my Yale surgeon also said that most other cancer centers wouldn't even attempt my surgery because of how difficult it will be (5 hour surgery).

Thrilled to hear that a double craniotomy might be a possibility, as my husband and I were thinking about inquiring about that option. Also, your timeline from brain surgery back to immunotherapy is extremely helpful…thank you SO MUCH for sharing this info. (Wow! Exactly the info I need to present to the doctors!!)

I have both my appointments at Yale & Sloan on Monday, back to back, and will definitely post again after the consultations. This community is such a treasure!!

Maria C
                                              Participant

Wow, you guys are the absolute best. What a treasure trove of info & support during this incredibly scary time. Love you all!!

Kyle, I am a patient at Yale, getting the second opinion at Sloan. I was dismayed when my surgeon at Yale recommended WBR after the craniotomy over another gamma knife procedure because one of the tumors got away. I read up enough to know WBR is practically useless as a last resort which makes me now wonder why I should even go through the pain & recovery of the craniotomy if that's the next line of treatment. I believe my Yale surgeon also said that most other cancer centers wouldn't even attempt my surgery because of how difficult it will be (5 hour surgery).

Thrilled to hear that a double craniotomy might be a possibility, as my husband and I were thinking about inquiring about that option. Also, your timeline from brain surgery back to immunotherapy is extremely helpful…thank you SO MUCH for sharing this info. (Wow! Exactly the info I need to present to the doctors!!)

I have both my appointments at Yale & Sloan on Monday, back to back, and will definitely post again after the consultations. This community is such a treasure!!

kylez
                                                Participant

Maria, the reason I mentioned Yale was because of this webinar on the Melanoma International web site, which was with Dr. Veronica Chiang, director of Yale's Gamma Knife program. Did she do your first Gamma Knife? In any case, since you're being treated at Yale this it should be worth viewing, even though you must be super busy getting ready for the appointments Monday. It may help in terms of asking questions when you interview the different doctors. See here, "Radiation Treatment of Melanoma Brain Metastases":

http://melanomainternational.org/webinar/2012/01/radiation-treatment-in-brain-metastases/

If the link doesn't work let us know — but it should. It's from 2012 but believe it's as current today as it was then. She talks quite a bit about WBR vs. Gamma Knife.

I lucked into UCSF being a very highly rated Neurosurgery progoram. I know UCSF was called in to consult on Ted Kennedy's brain tumor. According to one ranking (US News & World Report) their Neurosurgery program is ranked #4 in the US. They did a double craniotomy — left parietal tumor and right temporal tumor — each a little over 3cm. I recall reading I was on the table for a good 10 hours, although I don't know where I put the surgery summary notes. 

For what it's worth, here's that Neurosurgery program ranking. Several facilities near you are rated in the top ten, including NY Presbyterian and NYU. I believe NYU has a strong melanoma program as well. For whatever reason, strangely enough MSK is not so high up on this particular Neurosurgery program list:

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/neurology-and-neurosurgery

I did feel the difference between how I felt after UCSF and Kaiser surgeries. I will say that I have not had a recurrence in the tumor location Kaiser resected. And I'm surprised they could and did the double surgery, too. It's possible it's something some doctors and/or facilities might not be equipped to do. I think usually in general, any place will want a tumor to be over a certain size to do a craniotomy on it.

kylez
                                                  Participant

To be clear the place that did the double craniotomy was UCSF. Kaiser did a single one, on the left occipital area.

kylez
                                                    Participant

To be clear the place that did the double craniotomy was UCSF. Kaiser did a single one, on the left occipital area.

kylez
                                                      Participant

Maria C
                                                        Participant

Kyle, thanks for your follow-up, although now I'm getting really frightened. Dr. Chiang is my doctor at Yale, and from the video link you send me it sounds like she is already counting me as one of the patients who needs palliative care at this point in my treatment plan (AFTER the pain & drama of the surgery). I'm not ready to give up yet. I know I still have some fight in me and part of that fight is finding SOMEONE in the top medical community to believe I have other options!!

kylez
                                                          Participant

Maria, maybe the doctor will explain it to you differently when you see her. Which is on Monday? These are good questions to be armed with when you go in.

I can say there are some folks who have posted here, who had WBR and recovered. For them it was not just palliative. One size doesn't fit all, ie., the webinar. I hope she will explain to you in full detail what she feels your situation is, and what the reasoning is behind each part of the plan that is being put together. 

Maybe they want to use WBR as a kind of 'sensitizer' to boost the immunotherapy treatment that they are planning to resume. If that's the case, it would obviously be good to know. I would want to know the rationale for what is being done, including what they think they can do, what they think they can't, and why. 

More questions for her and any second opinion doc might be, do they view WBR as palliative only? 

How many tumors are candidates to be resected? Are there more candidatese than the neurosurgeon thinks can be handled in one surgery? 

How many tumors are not candidates for resection? 

What is the reason to do WBR rather than a second round of Gamma Knife/GK? Is it total volume? Or some other reason? If it is total volume, does that volume just include tumors that can't be resected? Or does it include some that in theory might be? 

If by magic, all the resectable tumors could be removed, would that reduce the volume of everything else to the point that GK could be used for the rest rather than WBR? 

I wonder if, back in 2011, I was being seen at Yale or MSK, whether they would they have been able to do the double craniotomy on me that UCSF did. Whether my case has any similarity to yours is hard to know since tumors/locations are bt nature different in any two patients.

If what UCSF did for me was something special, above and beyond the "average" place, I wonder if getting a second neurosurgery opinion at another facility that is also tops on that neurosurgery rating list, i.e., NYU or NY Presbyterian, would be useful or give any different answer than you are getting right now.

These are just questions to try to get the full story. And possibly see if there are different neurosurgery options. I don't want to "get your hopes up", but as you say you have a ton of fight left in you, and second opinions are sometimes valuable. And also, maybe the reasoning is different than that video would suggest.

I hope you get answers, and a plan you can have some hope and confidence in.

kylez
                                                            Participant

Maria, maybe the doctor will explain it to you differently when you see her. Which is on Monday? These are good questions to be armed with when you go in.

I can say there are some folks who have posted here, who had WBR and recovered. For them it was not just palliative. One size doesn't fit all, ie., the webinar. I hope she will explain to you in full detail what she feels your situation is, and what the reasoning is behind each part of the plan that is being put together. 

Maybe they want to use WBR as a kind of 'sensitizer' to boost the immunotherapy treatment that they are planning to resume. If that's the case, it would obviously be good to know. I would want to know the rationale for what is being done, including what they think they can do, what they think they can't, and why. 

More questions for her and any second opinion doc might be, do they view WBR as palliative only? 

How many tumors are candidates to be resected? Are there more candidatese than the neurosurgeon thinks can be handled in one surgery? 

What is the reason to do WBR rather than a second round of Gamma Knife/GK? Is it total volume? Or some other reason? If it is total volume, does that volume just include tumors that can't be resected? Or does it include some that in theory might be? 

If by magic, all the resectable tumors could be removed, would that reduce the volume of everything else to the point that GK could be used for the rest rather than WBR? 

I wonder if, back in 2011, I was being seen at Yale or MSK, whether they would they have been able to do the double craniotomy on me that UCSF did. Whether my case has any similarity to yours is hard to know since tumors/locations are bt nature different in any two patients.

If what UCSF did for me was something special, above and beyond the "average" place, I wonder if getting a second neurosurgery opinion at another facility that is also tops on that neurosurgery rating list, i.e., NYU or NY Presbyterian, would be useful or give any different answer than you are getting right now.

These are just questions to try to get the full story. And possibly see if there are different neurosurgery options. I don't want to "get your hopes up", but as you say you have a ton of fight left in you, and second opinions are sometimes valuable. And also, maybe the reasoning is different than that video would suggest.

kylez
                                                              Participant

Maria C
                                                                Participant

Kyle, thanks for your follow-up, although now I'm getting really frightened. Dr. Chiang is my doctor at Yale, and from the video link you send me it sounds like she is already counting me as one of the patients who needs palliative care at this point in my treatment plan (AFTER the pain & drama of the surgery). I'm not ready to give up yet. I know I still have some fight in me and part of that fight is finding SOMEONE in the top medical community to believe I have other options!!

Maria C
                                                                  Participant

kylez
                                                                    Participant

Maria, the reason I mentioned Yale was because of this webinar on the Melanoma International web site, which was with Dr. Veronica Chiang, director of Yale's Gamma Knife program. Did she do your first Gamma Knife? In any case, since you're being treated at Yale this it should be worth viewing, even though you must be super busy getting ready for the appointments Monday. It may help in terms of asking questions when you interview the different doctors. See here, "Radiation Treatment of Melanoma Brain Metastases":

http://melanomainternational.org/webinar/2012/01/radiation-treatment-in-brain-metastases/

If the link doesn't work let us know — but it should. It's from 2012 but believe it's as current today as it was then. She talks quite a bit about WBR vs. Gamma Knife.

I lucked into UCSF being a very highly rated Neurosurgery progoram. I know UCSF was called in to consult on Ted Kennedy's brain tumor. According to one ranking (US News & World Report) their Neurosurgery program is ranked #4 in the US. They did a double craniotomy — left parietal tumor and right temporal tumor — each a little over 3cm. I recall reading I was on the table for a good 10 hours, although I don't know where I put the surgery summary notes. 

For what it's worth, here's that Neurosurgery program ranking. Several facilities near you are rated in the top ten, including NY Presbyterian and NYU. I believe NYU has a strong melanoma program as well. For whatever reason, strangely enough MSK is not so high up on this particular Neurosurgery program list:

I did feel the difference between how I felt after UCSF and Kaiser surgeries. I will say that I have not had a recurrence in the tumor location Kaiser resected. And I'm surprised they could and did the double surgery, too. It's possible it's something some doctors and/or facilities might not be equipped to do. I think usually in general, any place will want a tumor to be over a certain size to do a craniotomy on it.

kylez
                                                                      Participant

Maria C
                                                                        Participant

kylez
                                                                          Participant

Hi Maria,

I was also very scared at the possibility of whole brain radiation/WBR. I am really glad that for my second brain surgery in 2011 I was able to be treated at UCSF. They did Gamma Knife afterwards, and there was no talk of WBR. That's the main thing I would strongly question if WBR was recommended to me at any point, especially depending on what doctors/facility I was being treated at.

Given that, if there's time before your upcoming craniotomy surgery, or right after, for myself I would seek a second opinion at a major cancer center on whether the radiation follow-up to surgery can be Gamma Knife or Cyber Knife (or etc) as opposed to WBR. I don't know where you're being treated. But major centers like Yale and UCSF will prefer to treat with Gamma Knife even if it's a dozen or twenty or more brain mets with Gamma Knife rather than WBR, depending on the circumstances. A big place like that is also good at fighting down insurance companies who may try to approve only cheaper WBR. A UCSF or Yale has the credibility to tell the insurance company when Gamma Knife (etc) is appropriate and has good results, even with more than 3 tumors, which is the obsolete insurance cut-off point for only recommending WBR. 

Anyway, like you, in 2011 one of my brain mets failed the CyberKnife treatment I got in 2010, and grew back to about 3.5 cm before surgery. It also spread to a few other places in my brain too. At that point UCSF did a double craniotomy, physically taking out two. Then very quickly after (two weeks only) they followed up with Gamma Knife to the two resected tumor beds. And also they radiated two much smaller spots that they didn't do surgery on.

One thing I'll say about actual brain surgery, is that it was nice to feel that they actually physically got that stuff out of my head. Opened it up, scraped it out, good and gone, knock on wood. 

Obviously I'm not a doctor so I don't know what reasons your doctors may be recommending WBR over follow-up with Gamma Knife. Even if it's a prestigious cancer center I would likely still ask for a second opinion if they were telling me WBR.

Good luck on your surgery and the radiation follow-up, whichever way it needs to go. 

kylez
                                                                            Participant

Hi Maria,

kylez
                                                                              Participant

Also, regarding treatment timing intervals in 2011 at UCSF, they were able to go from brain surgery to IPI in 4 weeks:

Craniotomy: June 1st

Gamma Knife follow-up: June 17th

IPI treatment start: June 28th

Maria C
                                                                                Participant

Kyle one more question … how much pain were you in with this aggressive schedule??

Maria C
                                                                                  Participant

Kyle one more question … how much pain were you in with this aggressive schedule??

kylez
                                                                                    Participant

Maria,

No pain anywhere after UCSF in 2011. Memory has faded a bit more for Kaiser craniotomy in 2010. In both cases they gave me some mild painkillers that I ate a few the few days after surgery. But I don't remember pain being an issue. 

kylez
                                                                                      Participant

Maria,

No pain anywhere after UCSF in 2011. Memory has faded a bit more for Kaiser craniotomy in 2010. In both cases they gave me some mild painkillers that I ate a few the few days after surgery. But I don't remember pain being an issue. 

kylez
                                                                                        Participant

Maria,

Maria C
                                                                                          Participant

kylez
                                                                                            Participant

Also, regarding treatment timing intervals in 2011 at UCSF, they were able to go from brain surgery to IPI in 4 weeks:

kylez
                                                                                              Participant

Patina
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Maria,

Like some of the others, I highly recommend getting a second opinion. Going to WBR is a OLD "first line of treatment" and has been shown not to offer the best results. Gamma Knife Radiation (SRS) is the way to go.

However, you must find a excellent team. My Mom's first experience with SRS was not good. The radiation oncologist said a brain met was a blood vessel the day of the treatment and then on followup… It wasn't and she ended up with 17 more 4 months later. We have learned the hard way that you need to get second or even third opinions even after treatment with your current team, as they may not really be the best…  Finding the best, even if it means travel or switching doctors has been the best choices we have made. And we've done that a few times and now have a excellent team of professionals that I can't recommend enough 🙂

My Mom had a craniotomy and was suppose to start Keytruda a month out last year. She ended up with a new brain met when she had the followup MRI. It was treated with Gamma Knife Radiation and started Keytruda 2 weeks later.  – Great results with this treatment!

Her radiation oncologist is Dr. Eric Chang at USC in Los Angeles. Besides his great personality, he's brilliant and caring. I also know that when he and his team are planning the treatment, after mapping the brain mets, he has a lot of "eyes" on the MRI's because he is at a teaching hospital and working with some of the best people in the field.  If you can find someone like him I'd recommend you go.

Good Luck!

Patina
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Maria,

Like some of the others, I highly recommend getting a second opinion. Going to WBR is a OLD "first line of treatment" and has been shown not to offer the best results. Gamma Knife Radiation (SRS) is the way to go.

However, you must find a excellent team. My Mom's first experience with SRS was not good. The radiation oncologist said a brain met was a blood vessel the day of the treatment and then on followup… It wasn't and she ended up with 17 more 4 months later. We have learned the hard way that you need to get second or even third opinions even after treatment with your current team, as they may not really be the best…  Finding the best, even if it means travel or switching doctors has been the best choices we have made. And we've done that a few times and now have a excellent team of professionals that I can't recommend enough 🙂

My Mom had a craniotomy and was suppose to start Keytruda a month out last year. She ended up with a new brain met when she had the followup MRI. It was treated with Gamma Knife Radiation and started Keytruda 2 weeks later.  – Great results with this treatment!

Her radiation oncologist is Dr. Eric Chang at USC in Los Angeles. Besides his great personality, he's brilliant and caring. I also know that when he and his team are planning the treatment, after mapping the brain mets, he has a lot of "eyes" on the MRI's because he is at a teaching hospital and working with some of the best people in the field.  If you can find someone like him I'd recommend you go.

Good Luck!

Patina
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Maria,

Good Luck!

kylez
                                                                                                      Participant

I'm thinking it must matter who one gets a second opinion from, too. In this situation would you go to an oncologist, a neurosurgeon or a radiation oncologist? If you go to an oncologist will they convene a "tumor board" for a second opinion? At both Kaiser and UCSF I know they convened a multidisciplinary tumor board (radiation oncogists, neurosurgeon, oncologist) to review my case each time and decide on the treatment path for the brain tumors. I don't know if that happens in a second opinion. I wonder who you would go to? The only second opinion l got was in 2010, I went to UCSF to get a second opinion on Kaiser who was treating me for the brain tumors. In 2011, I was being treated at UCSF and did not go for a second opiniom. 

Anyway, I wonder if it's best to go directly to a neurosurgeon. Or is that even possible? Would one get routed to an oncologist for the second opinion? I haven't tried that. I do know a second opinion is going to be from Dr. X, not from "UCSF", "MSK", etc. as a whole. Or could you go to the radiation oncology department? What do you think?

kylez
                                                                                                        Participant

I'm thinking it must matter who one gets a second opinion from, too. In this situation would you go to an oncologist, a neurosurgeon or a radiation oncologist? If you go to an oncologist will they convene a "tumor board" for a second opinion? At both Kaiser and UCSF I know they convened a multidisciplinary tumor board (radiation oncogists, neurosurgeon, oncologist) to review my case each time and decide on the treatment path for the brain tumors. I don't know if that happens in a second opinion. I wonder who you would go to? The only second opinion l got was in 2010, I went to UCSF to get a second opinion on Kaiser who was treating me for the brain tumors. In 2011, I was being treated at UCSF and did not go for a second opiniom. 

Anyway, I wonder if it's best to go directly to a neurosurgeon. Or is that even possible? Would one get routed to an oncologist for the second opinion? I haven't tried that. I do know a second opinion is going to be from Dr. X, not from "UCSF", "MSK", etc. as a whole. Or could you go to the radiation oncology department? What do you think?

kylez
                                                                                                          Participant

Maria C
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Patina & Celeste –

Thanks so much for your response. This is getting scary & lonely so I really appreciate the community & information here. Truly invaluable.

The follow-up appt. yesterday with the cancer center did not go well. Apparently one of the brain mets escaped the gamma knife treatment and has grown these past 8 weeks beween scans. A craniotomy is now being recommended, followed by whole brain radiation, which is my understanding is a LAST resort. Naturally I'm petrified.

The location and size (over 4 cm) of the brain met necessitates a 5-hour operation. I've been off immunotherapy for at least 2 months because I was overly confident when the last MRI showed no new mets, and just 2 in "death" stages. Apparently one of those wasn't dying at all, and in fact has grown into a monster that now needs surgical attention.

So now, say the operation goes well, I'm facing a 6-week recovery during which time I can't go back on immunotherapy, giving opportunity for the 2 new small mets in the brain to grow unchecked.

Really trying not to lose hope … coming on my 1-year anniversary of battling melanoma with all serious threats going on in my brain; the rest of my body is clear.

Am feeling like I'm on count down…yet grateful I've had a year to prepare myself and my family with what lies ahead. The ups & downs of this past year is nothing compared to what I'm about to face next. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this board and the opportunity to give voice to our triumphs, our setbacks, and all our fears….

Maria C
                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Patina & Celeste –

mary1233
                                                                                                              Participant

Hello Maria – so sorry for your struggles.

I am so happy you are going for a second opinion. Do you know who you will be seeing at Sloan? 

I am thinking of you and wish you all the best.

Mary

mary1233
                                                                                                                Participant

I am so happy you are going for a second opinion. Do you know who you will be seeing at Sloan? 

Mary

Maria C
                                                                                                                    Participant

Mary, I'll be seeing Dr. Philip Gutin at Sloan. Have you heard of him?

Thank you for your thoughts & well wishes!!

Maria C
                                                                                                                      Participant

Maria C
                                                                                                                        Participant

mary1233
                                                                                                                        Participant

Mary

ed williams
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Maria, just thought I would send you 2 links, one from UCLA (Dr.Isaac Yang) and a second one from Dr. Eric L Chang. They are current and very informative, best wishes!!!!Ed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnPN8YyfX_Y       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIxCAo8xzj0

ed williams
                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Maria, just thought I would send you 2 links, one from UCLA (Dr.Isaac Yang) and a second one from Dr. Eric L Chang. They are current and very informative, best wishes!!!!Ed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnPN8YyfX_Y       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIxCAo8xzj0

ed williams
                                                                                                                              Participant

kylez
                                                                                                                                Participant

Thinking about you, Maria. 

One thing I remember with my first brain surgery is that I had some misgivings about the surgeon I was assigned to. But it seemed like a train was in motion and had a momentum of its own, and it would be fighting the train to ask for another surgeron, so I just went with it. A path not taken would have been to interview another surgeon — even though it was at an HMO.

kylez
                                                                                                                                  Participant

One thing I remember with my first brain surgery is that I had some misgivings about the surgeon I was assigned to. But it seemed like a train was in motion and had a momentum of its own, and it would be fighting the train to ask for another surgeron, so I just went with it. A path not taken would have been to interview another surgeon — even though it was at an HMO.

kylez
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics