The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Mets – Options?

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain Mets – Options?

Participant

Hi everyone,

Things are moving fast with my brother.  His scans show numerous mets everywhere (easier to list where they aren't) including his brain.  The largest one in his brain is 1.2cm.  He has no symptoms.  The report doesn't list a total count.  He is with Kaiser and they just booked him an appointment to meet with a radiologist Wednesday (two days from now).  He hasn't even met with an oncologist yet (was supposed to be Friday but pushed back to the 23rd).

Anyway, I know individual radiologists have their own way of operating so I thought I would ask first here:  what are the radiology options for brain mets these days?  Pros and cons to each?  Personal experience?  Any and all guidance and information will be much appreciated.

You guys are awesome!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        khubes
        Participant

Hi Maggie,

So sorry to hear about your brother.  May I ask which Kaiser location he is being treated at?  My husband (also stage IV w/ multiple brain mets) has Kaiser insurance and is being treated at the Sunset location in LA.  We have been very impressed with our doctors (oncologist, radiation oncologist, neurosurgeon, etc.) and if he's at the same location, I have some recommendations.  

To answer your question re: radiation oncology – my husband has had all 9 brain mets treated with SRS with little to no side effects, and a very good response.  The radiation treatment was very managable and quick for him and has had no long lasting neurological issues.  

Please feel free to message me privately if you'd like to discuss further (especially if you're brother is being treated at the same Kaiser location!).  

Best,

Katie 

DZnDef
            Participant

Thanks for the response, Katie.  I'm glad your husband is doing so well.  My brother is at the Harbor City location as it is the closest to him but the Sunset location would not be a ridiculous drive.  Does Kaiser refer to other nearby locations?  I'll PM you.  Thanks again.

DZnDef
              Participant

Thanks for the response, Katie.  I'm glad your husband is doing so well.  My brother is at the Harbor City location as it is the closest to him but the Sunset location would not be a ridiculous drive.  Does Kaiser refer to other nearby locations?  I'll PM you.  Thanks again.

DZnDef
                Participant

khubes
                Participant

Hi Maggie,

So sorry to hear about your brother.  May I ask which Kaiser location he is being treated at?  My husband (also stage IV w/ multiple brain mets) has Kaiser insurance and is being treated at the Sunset location in LA.  We have been very impressed with our doctors (oncologist, radiation oncologist, neurosurgeon, etc.) and if he's at the same location, I have some recommendations.  

To answer your question re: radiation oncology – my husband has had all 9 brain mets treated with SRS with little to no side effects, and a very good response.  The radiation treatment was very managable and quick for him and has had no long lasting neurological issues.  

Please feel free to message me privately if you'd like to discuss further (especially if you're brother is being treated at the same Kaiser location!).  

Best,

Katie 

khubes
                  Participant

Hi Maggie,

Best,

Katie 

jamieth29
                    Participant
                      From what i learned in the past couple days….whole braid radiation is not the way to unless there is many many tumers. It can create bad cognitive issues. I have just met one radiation oncologist that suggested srs but wanted to wait 3-4 weeks to rescan me. Waiting is not the way to go so push for quick treatment. I am starting nivo tomorrow then going to have another mri thursday and possible srs monday. Just the way my experience is going so far.
                        DZnDef
                        Participant

Thank you, Jamie, this is helpful.  My brother seems to want to wait a few weeks for another scan to gauge growth as he has no symptoms and there were indications that these might be "old" (???).  As this was his first MRI ever there is just nothing to compare them to.  He had a blockage in his liver which is what sent him to the emergency room.  That's been cleared and he feels better so now he wants to carefully weigh his options rather than rush into something.  He might feel differently if he had mental symptoms but he doesn't so that's that.  I'm trying to get him to read up on this but he isn't interested at the moment.  I of course told him that the treatments today are so promising but he seems to have taken it to mean he has nothing to worry about.  Either that or he is unusually pragmatic about death (he told me he figures his "natural expiration date" is age 56 and he's now just curious to see what, if anything, modern medicine can do about that).

Good luck on your Nivo treatments.  I look forward to you posting on your progress.

Cheers,

Maggie

DZnDef
                          Participant

Thank you, Jamie, this is helpful.  My brother seems to want to wait a few weeks for another scan to gauge growth as he has no symptoms and there were indications that these might be "old" (???).  As this was his first MRI ever there is just nothing to compare them to.  He had a blockage in his liver which is what sent him to the emergency room.  That's been cleared and he feels better so now he wants to carefully weigh his options rather than rush into something.  He might feel differently if he had mental symptoms but he doesn't so that's that.  I'm trying to get him to read up on this but he isn't interested at the moment.  I of course told him that the treatments today are so promising but he seems to have taken it to mean he has nothing to worry about.  Either that or he is unusually pragmatic about death (he told me he figures his "natural expiration date" is age 56 and he's now just curious to see what, if anything, modern medicine can do about that).

Good luck on your Nivo treatments.  I look forward to you posting on your progress.

Cheers,

Maggie

DZnDef
                            Participant

Cheers,

Maggie

jamieth29
                            Participant
                              From what i learned in the past couple days….whole braid radiation is not the way to unless there is many many tumers. It can create bad cognitive issues. I have just met one radiation oncologist that suggested srs but wanted to wait 3-4 weeks to rescan me. Waiting is not the way to go so push for quick treatment. I am starting nivo tomorrow then going to have another mri thursday and possible srs monday. Just the way my experience is going so far.
                              jamieth29
                              Participant
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics