The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain mets…now what

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain mets…now what

Participant
      My husband had a craniotomy yesterday. All went well. The surgeon had to leave a little bit of the tumor, so as to not cause any motor damage. Before he was even out of surgery, the neurosurgeon was telling me that he would need WBR. The oncologist is recommending gamma knife. We’re so confused. What are pros and cons to each? How soon after a craniotomy can they safely do radiation. He’s just begun recovery from the craniotomy and we’re already overwhelmed with the next step. Any advice would be appreciated.

My husband had a craniotomy yesterday. All went well. The surgeon had to leave a little bit of the tumor, so as to not cause any motor damage. Before he was even out of surgery, the neurosurgeon was telling me that he would need WBR. The oncologist is recommending gamma knife. We’re so confused. What are pros and cons to each? How soon after a craniotomy can they safely do radiation. He’s just begun recovery from the craniotomy and we’re already overwhelmed with the next step. Any advice would be appreciated.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I'm glad that your husband was successfully completing the surgery!   Now you have 2 opinions,  start arranging for other opinions while your husband is recouperating.  During this time if there was still no other tumors I personally would be looking into either gamma or SRS.  They can always do the WBR later.

How is your husband actually feeling today?  

Linda

brain met:  SRS on Oct 4th, results coming Dec 6th

lhaley
          Participant

I'm glad that your husband was successfully completing the surgery!   Now you have 2 opinions,  start arranging for other opinions while your husband is recouperating.  During this time if there was still no other tumors I personally would be looking into either gamma or SRS.  They can always do the WBR later.

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Linda

HelperDaughter
              Participant

I'm glad to hear all went well with your husband's surgery.

My mom just had a craniotomy on Tuesday (11/29/11), which also went well, fortunately.  The neurosurgeon told us the surgery was going to go 2.5 – 3.5 hours.  About 1 hour into surgery, we were called up to the surgical suite.  I started to panic, thinking the surgeon was going to come out and tell us she had had some horrible intra-op complication.  But nope, the surgery went much faster than expected and they got all of it.  Before surgery they told us it was 1.5 cm and bleeding.  When the surgeon spoke with us, she told us it was "a bit bigger" and made a circle with her fingers bigger than a quarter, which made me unhappy, as the imaging study had just been done weeks before (seemed like fast growth to me). Anyway, be grateful for whatever you can, i try to keep remembering – they got it all.

This was my mom's second brain mass.  The first one (1 cm) was completely eliminated a few months ago with SRS, which I think is the same thing as gamma knife.  The worst thing about that procedure, according to my mom, was the head cage.  I think one of the screws was too tight and pretty painful for the duration (why she didn't tell them is beyond me).  She had a headache afterward and that spot on her head was sore from the screws, but that was pretty much it.  A subsequent scan showed some swelling to the area that they thought might be somehow related to the ipi my mom was taking.  They said they see that sometimes with ipi patients and that they think it's a good sign (must have been in my mom's case since that particular tumor was eradicated).

I would go with SRS if you can, especially if it's the radiation oncologist recommending it.  That's what they do.  Surgeons don't do radiation.  I guess they do make recommendations, though, since after surgery my mom's neurosurgeon also said that she wanted some radiation to the area.  I'm assuming it's the SRS again since she says she got the whole tumor.  I think there's a 1 cm limit on SRS.  I think WBR is also associated with increased problems, like cognitive deficits, memory loss, whatnot.  If the oncologist thinks they can keep the radiation confined to the area, I say why irradiate the whole brain? 

I hope this helps.

HelperDaughter
                Participant

My mom just had a craniotomy on Tuesday (11/29/11), which also went well, fortunately.  The neurosurgeon told us the surgery was going to go 2.5 – 3.5 hours.  About 1 hour into surgery, we were called up to the surgical suite.  I started to panic, thinking the surgeon was going to come out and tell us she had had some horrible intra-op complication.  But nope, the surgery went much faster than expected and they got all of it.  Before surgery they told us it was 1.5 cm and bleeding.  When the surgeon spoke with us, she told us it was "a bit bigger" and made a circle with her fingers bigger than a quarter, which made me unhappy, as the imaging study had just been done weeks before (seemed like fast growth to me). Anyway, be grateful for whatever you can, i try to keep remembering – they got it all.

This was my mom's second brain mass.  The first one (1 cm) was completely eliminated a few months ago with SRS, which I think is the same thing as gamma knife.  The worst thing about that procedure, according to my mom, was the head cage.  I think one of the screws was too tight and pretty painful for the duration (why she didn't tell them is beyond me).  She had a headache afterward and that spot on her head was sore from the screws, but that was pretty much it.  A subsequent scan showed some swelling to the area that they thought might be somehow related to the ipi my mom was taking.  They said they see that sometimes with ipi patients and that they think it's a good sign (must have been in my mom's case since that particular tumor was eradicated).

I would go with SRS if you can, especially if it's the radiation oncologist recommending it.  That's what they do.  Surgeons don't do radiation.  I guess they do make recommendations, though, since after surgery my mom's neurosurgeon also said that she wanted some radiation to the area.  I'm assuming it's the SRS again since she says she got the whole tumor.  I think there's a 1 cm limit on SRS.  I think WBR is also associated with increased problems, like cognitive deficits, memory loss, whatnot.  If the oncologist thinks they can keep the radiation confined to the area, I say why irradiate the whole brain? 

I hope this helps.

HelperDaughter
                  Participant

I hope this helps.

HelperDaughter
                    Participant

I hope this helps.

lhaley
                        Participant

I'm glad that the crainectomy went well.  I had SRS 6 weeks ago.. The tumor was 21mm and was told that  it's at the larger number.  Scan will be on Tuesday, the first one was after 2 weeks after the procedure and was stable. 

When they do the WBR it can cause more cognitive deficits and memory ect.  Just casually irradicating the entire brain, especially if someone is older can give quality of life issues unless this is needed.

Linda

lhaley
                          Participant

I'm glad that the crainectomy went well.  I had SRS 6 weeks ago.. The tumor was 21mm and was told that  it's at the larger number.  Scan will be on Tuesday, the first one was after 2 weeks after the procedure and was stable. 

When they do the WBR it can cause more cognitive deficits and memory ect.  Just casually irradicating the entire brain, especially if someone is older can give quality of life issues unless this is needed.

Linda

lhaley
                            Participant

Linda

HelperDaughter
                            Participant

I hope this helps.

HelperDaughter
                              Participant

I hope this helps.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics