The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain mets back

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain mets back

Participant
      After 6 months of stability my brain mets came back this week. Going in for more resection next week.

In terms of clinical trials, it’s frustrating that brain mets remain a forbidding zone where research and trials fear to tread. As far as systematic approaches, my body is on it’s own. No body mets sounded great, but also has precluded me from any trials that might have somehow helped with cranial mets too.

I don’t know if anybody looks at melanoma subtypes for brain mets. I guess if there’s nothing to do, there’s no reason to ask that question.

After 6 months of stability my brain mets came back this week. Going in for more resection next week.

In terms of clinical trials, it’s frustrating that brain mets remain a forbidding zone where research and trials fear to tread. As far as systematic approaches, my body is on it’s own. No body mets sounded great, but also has precluded me from any trials that might have somehow helped with cranial mets too.

I don’t know if anybody looks at melanoma subtypes for brain mets. I guess if there’s nothing to do, there’s no reason to ask that question.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

Kyle,

I'm sorry to learn this. Question: and keep in mind, I don't know how this stuff works, but could you talk with your dr and volunteer to be a guinea pig and ask them to let you try maybe something they wouldn't normally think of and let you take it out for a test drive?  It just seems to me that if you're willing to try whatever you can, someone ought to be able to offer you something to try…to tread where angels fear. Are you, by chance, going to a research facility?

Just thoughts. Hope someone will work with you and a door will open for you.

Lord, in Your mercy. Amen.

Grace and peace Kyle,

Carol

Carol Taylor
          Participant

Kyle,

I'm sorry to learn this. Question: and keep in mind, I don't know how this stuff works, but could you talk with your dr and volunteer to be a guinea pig and ask them to let you try maybe something they wouldn't normally think of and let you take it out for a test drive?  It just seems to me that if you're willing to try whatever you can, someone ought to be able to offer you something to try…to tread where angels fear. Are you, by chance, going to a research facility?

Just thoughts. Hope someone will work with you and a door will open for you.

Lord, in Your mercy. Amen.

Grace and peace Kyle,

Carol

NicOz
            Participant

I hear your frustration, Kyle. I spent 3 years searching for something for brain mets before finally finding this:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01266967?term=gsk+113929&rank=1

Like you, the brain mets without extracranial disease left it impossible for one to get on a trial. It was somewhat frustrating that after 3 years of no extracranial disease and finally finding something that looked promising, mel went on a rampage a mere 2-3? weeks before I commenced the study- had cutaneous nodules popping up everywhere daily, lymph node involvement in the neck and axilla, subq's throughout the abdomen (one of which completely prevented a ureter from working), liver mets and adrenal met. I could have done with THOSE a couple of years ago- certainly would have helped to get on a study!!! But no… they rock up and throw a party when I don't require extracranial disease as an inclusion criteria (inconvenient party poopers!)

Anyhoo, so far I'm having good results so thought maybe it might be something for you to consider? At the very least, it's an example that brain mets trials are out there now. It does require a BRAF mutation to be eligible- I had previous tumour tissue sitting there from all of the past craniotomies, so it was a simple matter of sending some to the US and their testing (only around a 5-7 day turnaround)

Don't know if this will be of any help to you, but it might give you some hope regarding looking for some trials that may be out there (I know I'd almost given up looking!)

Nic

kylez
                Participant

Nic,

Your note about melanoma coming back right as you qualified for a clinical trial, remind me what a shaky option clinical trials are, depending on one's disease profile. There was one I was interested in where they would take stable treated brain mets — but I probably wouldn't have made it through qualifying even if I started 2 months ago.

One of my friends just got booted off a BRAF trial after several years — he's applying for an anti-PD1 trial now. I think he has a good chance of getting in. Like you he is BRAF+. Mine is wild-type (didn't mention that). That also puts me out in the wilderness — although we're all really out in the wilderness on this.

That's great you're responding to the GSK drug, that'll be an interesting one for the rest of us to follow too. I've been talking to my doc, I do think I may find something.

kylez
                  Participant

Nic,

Your note about melanoma coming back right as you qualified for a clinical trial, remind me what a shaky option clinical trials are, depending on one's disease profile. There was one I was interested in where they would take stable treated brain mets — but I probably wouldn't have made it through qualifying even if I started 2 months ago.

One of my friends just got booted off a BRAF trial after several years — he's applying for an anti-PD1 trial now. I think he has a good chance of getting in. Like you he is BRAF+. Mine is wild-type (didn't mention that). That also puts me out in the wilderness — although we're all really out in the wilderness on this.

That's great you're responding to the GSK drug, that'll be an interesting one for the rest of us to follow too. I've been talking to my doc, I do think I may find something.

NicOz
                  Participant

I hear your frustration, Kyle. I spent 3 years searching for something for brain mets before finally finding this:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01266967?term=gsk+113929&rank=1

Like you, the brain mets without extracranial disease left it impossible for one to get on a trial. It was somewhat frustrating that after 3 years of no extracranial disease and finally finding something that looked promising, mel went on a rampage a mere 2-3? weeks before I commenced the study- had cutaneous nodules popping up everywhere daily, lymph node involvement in the neck and axilla, subq's throughout the abdomen (one of which completely prevented a ureter from working), liver mets and adrenal met. I could have done with THOSE a couple of years ago- certainly would have helped to get on a study!!! But no… they rock up and throw a party when I don't require extracranial disease as an inclusion criteria (inconvenient party poopers!)

Anyhoo, so far I'm having good results so thought maybe it might be something for you to consider? At the very least, it's an example that brain mets trials are out there now. It does require a BRAF mutation to be eligible- I had previous tumour tissue sitting there from all of the past craniotomies, so it was a simple matter of sending some to the US and their testing (only around a 5-7 day turnaround)

Don't know if this will be of any help to you, but it might give you some hope regarding looking for some trials that may be out there (I know I'd almost given up looking!)

Nic

nickmac56
                    Participant

I share your frustration and feel for you – my wife is in exactly the same spot. I have scoured the internet and clinical trials and found nothing – and she is BRAF negative which means the one cited on this post doesn;t apply to her. I found a study yesterday in my research, which I couldn't dig up right now for the life of me, but it was buried really deep in my google search page numbers – that essentially indicated that based on meta analysis, there was not a profound difference in outcomes between patients with treated and/or stable brain mets and those without. I think the study is spitting in the wind though, If you have brain mets and extracranial disease you are pretty screwed. Right now the only thing my wife can do is complete her brain radiation, and then wait two months for the brain to calm down and then maybe just maybe there is a shot at a clinical trial if she stays clear.  But in the meantime melanoma is going along in her lungs and we presume elsewhere. It just reflects the dismal state of research on skin cancer. The Economist has an article on cancer in its most recent edition and according to the numbers in a table while in 2010 there were over 900 clinical trials for cancer, only about 70 were for dermatological. The drug companies want to make money and get drugs approved and they neeed to show efficacy and it is highly inconvenient to getting FDA approval if you have brain met patients in your study group – based on common wisdom. 

Even so – the quote from the cheife medical officer of the American Cancer Society was " we are not buying a lot of life prolongation with these drugs". 

kylez
                        Participant

So brain mets with or without extracranial disease, are just tough row to hoe. Obviously the clinical trials just about all avoid them. I can certainly see how studies might conclude that for someone with brain mets it might all just be p***ing in the wind, I dunno. Seems to be the status of quite a few cancers before better treatments were found. I did get life extension from my first craniotomy and SRS I believe, and I'm grateful for that.

Glad you like your "Lenore"!

I think they'll figure it out more about melanoma some day. Maybe even brain mets. I just finished 'The Emperor of All Maladies' which gave me a perspective abou the history of cancer research and treatment and different kinds of cancers, that I didn't have before. 

kylez
                          Participant

So brain mets with or without extracranial disease, are just tough row to hoe. Obviously the clinical trials just about all avoid them. I can certainly see how studies might conclude that for someone with brain mets it might all just be p***ing in the wind, I dunno. Seems to be the status of quite a few cancers before better treatments were found. I did get life extension from my first craniotomy and SRS I believe, and I'm grateful for that.

Glad you like your "Lenore"!

I think they'll figure it out more about melanoma some day. Maybe even brain mets. I just finished 'The Emperor of All Maladies' which gave me a perspective abou the history of cancer research and treatment and different kinds of cancers, that I didn't have before. 

nickmac56
                          Participant

I share your frustration and feel for you – my wife is in exactly the same spot. I have scoured the internet and clinical trials and found nothing – and she is BRAF negative which means the one cited on this post doesn;t apply to her. I found a study yesterday in my research, which I couldn't dig up right now for the life of me, but it was buried really deep in my google search page numbers – that essentially indicated that based on meta analysis, there was not a profound difference in outcomes between patients with treated and/or stable brain mets and those without. I think the study is spitting in the wind though, If you have brain mets and extracranial disease you are pretty screwed. Right now the only thing my wife can do is complete her brain radiation, and then wait two months for the brain to calm down and then maybe just maybe there is a shot at a clinical trial if she stays clear.  But in the meantime melanoma is going along in her lungs and we presume elsewhere. It just reflects the dismal state of research on skin cancer. The Economist has an article on cancer in its most recent edition and according to the numbers in a table while in 2010 there were over 900 clinical trials for cancer, only about 70 were for dermatological. The drug companies want to make money and get drugs approved and they neeed to show efficacy and it is highly inconvenient to getting FDA approval if you have brain met patients in your study group – based on common wisdom. 

Even so – the quote from the cheife medical officer of the American Cancer Society was " we are not buying a lot of life prolongation with these drugs". 

washoegal
                            Participant

Kyle,

So sorry, that is the worse news of all to hear and one that scares the hell out of all of us.  I checked your profile, at least you are with one of the best with Dr Daud.  The body does such a good job of protecting the brain that once something does get past that barrier, researchers seem to be at a loss at what to do about it.

Wishing all the best for you.  Keep asking the questions, too many answers are popping up these days.

Mary

Stage 3

kylez
                                Participant

Thanks Mary. Yes, I'm grateful to be getting care at UCSF now. I'm talking with my doctors. We'll see what we can do. Wish I had more interesting things to talk with Dr. Daud about, like clinical trials! I wanted to be in that world, just couldn't get there with BRAF – / brain mets.

kylez
                                  Participant

Thanks Mary. Yes, I'm grateful to be getting care at UCSF now. I'm talking with my doctors. We'll see what we can do. Wish I had more interesting things to talk with Dr. Daud about, like clinical trials! I wanted to be in that world, just couldn't get there with BRAF – / brain mets.

washoegal
                                  Participant

Kyle,

So sorry, that is the worse news of all to hear and one that scares the hell out of all of us.  I checked your profile, at least you are with one of the best with Dr Daud.  The body does such a good job of protecting the brain that once something does get past that barrier, researchers seem to be at a loss at what to do about it.

Wishing all the best for you.  Keep asking the questions, too many answers are popping up these days.

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics