The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Braftovi/Mektovi update

Forums General Melanoma Community Braftovi/Mektovi update

Participant

HI everyone,

I wanted to provide an update after my PET/CT after 5 weeks on BRAFTOV/MEKTOVI plus Keytruda.
      When I first started this combo the tumor on my arm was shrinking. However, it started growing again and it’s about 1 cm now. Also  3 liver mets almost doubled in size from my last CTscan in May. I guess the one good thing is that it did not show any lung or intestinal mets which it previously did. They did see a new hot spot on a lymph node near my abdomen. So now the plan is to continue with the target therapy(BRAFTOVIMEKTOVI) but stop the Keytruda infusions. I will update after my next appt.
      This wasn’t the news I was hoping for but I’m still hopeful that something will work if not these particular meds.
      Bless you all and stay strong. You are not alone.
      My prayers to all of you.
      Vince

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Shoot!  Sorry, Vince.  Melanoma sucks great big green stinky hairy wizard balls!!!  I'm sure your docs will find a viable treatment path for you!!  What's their thinking re stopping Keytruda vs the targeted therapy since "the tumor on my arm was shrinking" when you first started the combo?  Not doubting your docs, just wondering what rationale they had.  Hang in there!!! celeste

VinceMart
            Participant

Hi Celeste,

I was on Keytruda back in the beginning of the year for several months and things were progressing, so they tried TAF/MEK and things started slowing down, but then I could not handle the side effects.  Dr. wants to see how things go with this targeted therapy alone and said I may need a different immunotherapy rather than Keytruda. Thanks for your encouragement, it is so frustrating getting excited to see some positive responses on treatments, but then it stops working quickly-The Melanoma Rollercoaster!

Vince

Bubbles
              Participant

Makes sense.  Hang in there!!!  Fingers crossed!! – c

Edwin
              Participant

My melanoma is BRAF negative.  It spread to several more bones, while I received Keytruda immunotherapy.   After switching to Yervoy-Opdivo immunotherapy, my bone cancer disappeared. There is still cancer below my jaw.  Since your cancer is BRAF positive, you have more treatment options than I had.

VinceMart
                  Participant

Hi Edwin,

Thank you, my doctor did say that I may need a different immunotherapy.  I am happy to hear Ipi-Nivo worked for you and pray that you have full NED in the near future.

Vince

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics