The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF V600E Thrives on Fat

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF V600E Thrives on Fat

• Replies
      cancersnewnormal
      Participant

Holy wow! Our diets are going to have to become as tailored as our cancer treatments, depending upon the specific mutation. And the second article about Glutamine Metabolism is particularly unsettling. Not that livestrong.com is a completely reliable scientific source, but it did spawn from Lance Armstrong's battle with cancer (they might need to do some additional research and updating!)… and this is what they have posted:  "Glutamine isn't just any amino acid, it's the most abundant one found in your body — stored mostly in the muscles and the lungs. Because your body can synthesize its own glutamine, it's considered a non-essential amino acid. Glutamine helps remove ammonia, a waste product, from your body and supports your immune system, tissue repair, brain function and digestion. People with inflammatory bowel disease, severe physical trauma, cancer, muscle breakdown from endurance events and HIV/AIDS might benefit from consuming more glutamine, as these stresses increase your body's requirement for the amino acid." — http://www.livestrong.com/article/249890-list-of-foods-that-contain-glutamine/

It's as if we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. High carbs aren't good because of the sugar, and now fish, poultry, and many raw leafy vegetables should be minimized because they are a primary source with high levels of glutamine. YIKES! I guess, at this point, balance in our diet is the best we can do. Gads… coffee and ice cubes… it's what's for dinner! ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Thanks for the links and new insight! : )

cancersnewnormal
        Participant

Holy wow! Our diets are going to have to become as tailored as our cancer treatments, depending upon the specific mutation. And the second article about Glutamine Metabolism is particularly unsettling. Not that livestrong.com is a completely reliable scientific source, but it did spawn from Lance Armstrong's battle with cancer (they might need to do some additional research and updating!)… and this is what they have posted:  "Glutamine isn't just any amino acid, it's the most abundant one found in your body — stored mostly in the muscles and the lungs. Because your body can synthesize its own glutamine, it's considered a non-essential amino acid. Glutamine helps remove ammonia, a waste product, from your body and supports your immune system, tissue repair, brain function and digestion. People with inflammatory bowel disease, severe physical trauma, cancer, muscle breakdown from endurance events and HIV/AIDS might benefit from consuming more glutamine, as these stresses increase your body's requirement for the amino acid." — http://www.livestrong.com/article/249890-list-of-foods-that-contain-glutamine/

It's as if we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. High carbs aren't good because of the sugar, and now fish, poultry, and many raw leafy vegetables should be minimized because they are a primary source with high levels of glutamine. YIKES! I guess, at this point, balance in our diet is the best we can do. Gads… coffee and ice cubes… it's what's for dinner! ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

cancersnewnormal
          Participant

Nicklindner
            Participant

It seems that even the cancer community is split about diet and sugar.  I wish there was someway to know what effects our diet has on our cancer.  Do we give up sugar, flour, red meat?  Does a vegan diet promote a better long term cancer free outcome?  It seems like postive outlook and no stress are strongly prescribed for cancer patients but we dont really want to make any recommendations on diet.  That seems very unusual. 

jennunicorn
                Participant

That's because it's not so cut and dry with diet. Many people who have been diagnosed with cancer quickly jump to a vegan no sugar diet… and some of those people beat their cancer and the others don't. There just isn't enough strict research devoted to what kind of diet is best for a cancer patient. Myths and facts all seemed to be woven together in this world wide web causing much confusion. A balanced healthy diet and a healthy attitude is the best thing I've found so far.. because I'd rather eat healthy with a few treats now and then instead of torture myself with a vegan no sugar diet and then end up dying of cancer anyway! Whatever makes us happy, that's what we should go with. Haven't met an oncologist that suggests any sort of diet change, so there's no jumping on bandwagons over here.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

That's because it's not so cut and dry with diet. Many people who have been diagnosed with cancer quickly jump to a vegan no sugar diet… and some of those people beat their cancer and the others don't. There just isn't enough strict research devoted to what kind of diet is best for a cancer patient. Myths and facts all seemed to be woven together in this world wide web causing much confusion. A balanced healthy diet and a healthy attitude is the best thing I've found so far.. because I'd rather eat healthy with a few treats now and then instead of torture myself with a vegan no sugar diet and then end up dying of cancer anyway! Whatever makes us happy, that's what we should go with. Haven't met an oncologist that suggests any sort of diet change, so there's no jumping on bandwagons over here.

jennunicorn
                    Participant

Nicklindner
                    Participant

It seems that even the cancer community is split about diet and sugar.  I wish there was someway to know what effects our diet has on our cancer.  Do we give up sugar, flour, red meat?  Does a vegan diet promote a better long term cancer free outcome?  It seems like postive outlook and no stress are strongly prescribed for cancer patients but we dont really want to make any recommendations on diet.  That seems very unusual. 

Nicklindner
                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics