The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF testing results

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF testing results

Participant

We meet with Dr Zager on Monday, but I saw the test results on the Moffitt web site.  I need help understanding and in hopes you can help explain to me.

This is from the last surgery to remove the rest of the lymph nodes on my husband's right side.  I think this is good news, but do not know.

It reads tha the BRAF result is "Not Detected"

We meet with Dr Zager on Monday, but I saw the test results on the Moffitt web site.  I need help understanding and in hopes you can help explain to me.

This is from the last surgery to remove the rest of the lymph nodes on my husband's right side.  I think this is good news, but do not know.

It reads tha the BRAF result is "Not Detected"

The BRAF Interpretation – No point mutation is identified in BRAF gene, codon 600.  This assay uses pyrosequencing technology, targeting BRAF utations on codon  yoo.  A negative result indicates that no mutation is identified in these targeted areas with a sensitivity of 5%.  The test covers  over 95% of known BRAF mutations with a specificity of 100% during validation against the V600E results.

Thanks, Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        pd1gal
        Participant

Hi Mary,

Unforunately the results indicate that he is not BRAF positive. This means that the tumor does not have the "mutation" in the 600 gene. The BRAF targeted therapies (Zelboraf, and Tafinalar) will normally only be effective on BRAF positive melanoma.

Ann

pd1gal
          Participant

Hi Mary,

Unforunately the results indicate that he is not BRAF positive. This means that the tumor does not have the "mutation" in the 600 gene. The BRAF targeted therapies (Zelboraf, and Tafinalar) will normally only be effective on BRAF positive melanoma.

Ann

pd1gal
            Participant

Hi Mary,

Ann

5374brian
              Participant

The BRAF test indicates to the oncologist if the gene is positive or negative. This guides the doctor on what treatment plans will work best. I know many people on here can explain in much more detail. My wife was negative so her taking Zelboraf would not have been any benefit and had possible of causing more issues. So we went right into IPI. My understanding is the positive gives more options of treatment. This is the short and sweet but sometimes it is easier for me to understand. good luck and i am sure someone will be able to get into all the V600 locations and responses.. 

5374brian
                Participant

The BRAF test indicates to the oncologist if the gene is positive or negative. This guides the doctor on what treatment plans will work best. I know many people on here can explain in much more detail. My wife was negative so her taking Zelboraf would not have been any benefit and had possible of causing more issues. So we went right into IPI. My understanding is the positive gives more options of treatment. This is the short and sweet but sometimes it is easier for me to understand. good luck and i am sure someone will be able to get into all the V600 locations and responses.. 

5374brian
                  Participant

flvermonter
                    Participant
                      thanks for clarifying and the more I learn theote confused. is I understand then being nraf negative means some of the normal drugs won’t be an option. he would get other types?

I am wondering if we will find out what treatment he will get in addition to radiation. and wondering if we misunderstood and the radiation is only for the lung cancer

flvermonter
                      Participant
                        thanks for clarifying and the more I learn theote confused. is I understand then being nraf negative means some of the normal drugs won’t be an option. he would get other types?

I am wondering if we will find out what treatment he will get in addition to radiation. and wondering if we misunderstood and the radiation is only for the lung cancer

flvermonter
                        Participant

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

1. Does your father have lung cancer  or have metastised melanoma to the lungs?

2. being nraf negative means thaat the new Anti-BRAF drugs will not work for him.  They are currently used more to quickly reduce tumor load in advanced patients.  Ipi Has a aslightly higher chance of giving a long term remission, possibly approaching a cure.  Being BRAF negative only wipes out those new drugs, just approved, from his options..

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

2. being nraf negative means thaat the new Anti-BRAF drugs will not work for him.  They are currently used more to quickly reduce tumor load in advanced patients.  Ipi Has a aslightly higher chance of giving a long term remission, possibly approaching a cure.  Being BRAF negative only wipes out those new drugs, just approved, from his options..

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

The chat room is being worked on.  The newer software has problems.  (Such as letting people on the BB know that someone has gone into it.

If the lung problem is lung cancer and not a metastisis of the melanoma, radiation might help.  Radiation is of  limited value in Melanoma tumors and metastissis. 

Treatment options are limited for stage III melanoma that has been resected.  There are a few clinical trials that can be entered if one doesn't want to do the "Watch and Wait".

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

The chat room is being worked on.  The newer software has problems.  (Such as letting people on the BB know that someone has gone into it.

If the lung problem is lung cancer and not a metastisis of the melanoma, radiation might help.  Radiation is of  limited value in Melanoma tumors and metastissis. 

Treatment options are limited for stage III melanoma that has been resected.  There are a few clinical trials that can be entered if one doesn't want to do the "Watch and Wait".

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

flvermonter
                                      Participant
                                        1 father died from lung cancer. that was 35 years ago. they msu not HV split out whether it was metastic melanoma on the lung or lung cancer
                                        2 yes, understand it Will have to be other treatments

Thanks msry

flvermonter
                                        Participant
                                          1 father died from lung cancer. that was 35 years ago. they msu not HV split out whether it was metastic melanoma on the lung or lung cancer

Thanks msry

flvermonter
                                          Participant

Thanks msry

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics