The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF positive stage 3 long term survivors?

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF positive stage 3 long term survivors?

Participant
      Hi everyone,
      I just read about a young girl only 29 who has only a few months to live and she is BRAF positive so of course I’m freaking out again. I just wanted to know if there are any long term stage 3 BRAF positive patients? I’m 33 myself and I understand everyone is different but just looking for some reassurance.
      Thank you
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hi SydnelMel20,

I'm BRAF+ and have been stage 3c for 11 years now.  There are many others here.  It's very possible!

I've not always been No Evidence of Disease (NED) but I'm still on this side, enjoying life!

Take heart!  No one knows your expiration date.

Wishing you peace and courage.

Shalom,

Julie

SydneyMel29
            Participant
              Thank you so much. Good to hear xx
            Bubbles
            Participant

I'm not sure what is frightening you the most, Sydney – the fact that you are Stage 3 or BRAF positive.  Stage 3 is what it is.  Yes, there is greater risk for progression than if you were Stage 1, but…there are treatments for melanoma available now that work for many, though, as must be in the case you referenced, not all.  As far as being BRAF positive…about half of melanoma patients are.  There is no greater association between being BRAF positive or BRAF negative and death rate from melanoma.  

On a personal note…and in answer to your question….I was diagnosed with Stage 3b melanoma at the age of 39 in 2003.  Unfortunately, I did progress to Stage IV in 2010, but was treated with Opdivo from 2010 to 2013 and remain NED (having no evidence of disease) for melanoma with no further treatment.  AND….I am BRAF positive.

Hope that helps.  Celeste

SydneyMel29
                Participant
                  Hi Celeste,
                  This helps a lot.
                  Thank you
                  jen.bren
                  Participant

Hi there,

I just started in this support group and i’d like to jump in and say that I was dx stage 3 with centinal nodes positive and had surgery and interferon (didn’t work) in 2002. In 2004 it returned as bumps from the inside on my thigh, knee, and groin lymph nodes. I then had 3 chemos and surgery and 3 chemos. I have been NED since 2005! I do not know if I am Braf positive or negative and have wondered if it makes a difference in survival rates as well.

I am here now because I have a nodule in my calf and will be having it removed and a PET scan on the 11th of April. Removal on the 18th.

All my greatest feats have come rushing back to me but I see there are new drugs now since way back, and I do know friends that unfortunately they failed. I am now 44 yrs old and was 30 when I was positive last.

Prayers for us all!

So glad there are survivors.

Hope this helps-some.

Jennifer

Riven
                    Participant

Dearest Celeste,

If I may, I would like to ask you about your experance with Opdivo. I see that you were on it for 3 years, was that the original plan? Is it different than it used to be? I have been perscribed to be treated with it for 1 year (13 rounds once every 4 weeks), but have concernes that it might not be enough. I've seen that a lot of my fellow warriors were on Opdivo much longer than I will have been, and it does give me pause. 

Thanks for your insite and guidence.

Becca

ed williams
                      Participant

Hi Becca, not trying to answer for Celeste but looking at your history page it shows stage 3, which would mean you are getting Nivo in the adjuvant setting which has only been approved for less than a year. The approval is for one year of treatment trying to hit things early so that it doesn't progress to stage 4 in brain or organs. Here is a link to ASCO series of videos on Onclive from last summer talking about all the pro and cons of adjuvant treatments. If you look at the video down below you will see #'s if you click on # 5 or # 4 you will see several videos that deal with stage 3 folks. https://www.onclive.com/peer-exchange/advanced-melanoma-paradigms/adjuvant-therapy-options-in-melanoma

Bubbles
                        Participant

Hey Becca, 

Ed's my brother from another mother…so he pretty much CAN answer for me, HA!!!  But…for MY answer to your question ~ Ed's major point is well taken.  You are a Stage 3 patient.  I was a Stage IV patient having had 2 cutaneous lesions, positive lymph nodes, brain, lung and tonsilar mets when I entered my Phase 1 trial of Nivo back in December of 2010.  (Actually it was called MDX1106 at that time, then went through a BMS name, then Nivolumab, to become today's Opdivo.)  I and my fellow ratties, half of us with active disease at the start of the trial and half of us NED at that point, took nivo for 2 1/2 years.  My last dose was in June of 2013.  My doctor, Jeff Weber, has told me many times since, that he thinks we took the medicine for far too long…because he believed that a "certain" amount will serve you well.  Taking more of the drug will do no additional good and just put the recipient at greater risk for side effects.  Now…figuring out that "certain" amount has engendered many discussions and studies in the recent years….with docs now mostly agreeing on about 2 years for folks with active disease who respond and 1 year for NED high risk Stage 3 patients.  Melanoma is no fun for anybody at any Stage.  Current FDA approved treatments only began to be so in 2011.  We have a long way yet to go, but – if one must deal with melanoma at all – I think being able to deal with it as you are now…with 1 year of nivo…you are in a good place.  Hope this helps.  Yours, celeste

sister of patient
                        Participant

Hi SydneyMel – I deliberately seek out good stories to counteract the bad!! It works (for me). Best wishes to you 🙂

Barb

Riven
                          Participant

Hey Sydney, 

Fellow 20something stage 3 BRAF positive melanoma warrior here. 

I was diagnosed with this just weeks after turning 27, in May of last year. I'm with you in trying to find reassurance, but I wanted to add that meditating on my own circumstances and trying to live my best life daily has helped me stay relitivly calm though out this. It is good to remind yourself that everyone truly is different and that your fate as not been written in the stars by another person's hand. This is your journey, and you will continue to thrive if you believe in yourself and keep yourself going!

Much love, Becca.

SydneyMel29
                              Participant
                                Thank you so much
                                Nicky
                                Participant

Hi, I don’t know whether I am BRAF positive or not. Diagnosed Stage 3b in 2001. Currently NED. There are many long term survivors out there, they just don’t necessarily post. I have had 3 more primary melanomas but none have metastasized thanks to early detection every 3 months. I wish you all the best.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics