The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

boston symposium

Forums General Melanoma Community boston symposium

Participant

hi,

I had hoped to go to the melanoma symposium last night but couldnt make it down from Maine.  Did anyone go?  I really like Dr Lawrence and Dr Hodi and would be interested to hear how it went and if any new info was brought up.  I was also hoping to run into people from this site, oh well.

thanks

laurie from maine

hi,

I had hoped to go to the melanoma symposium last night but couldnt make it down from Maine.  Did anyone go?  I really like Dr Lawrence and Dr Hodi and would be interested to hear how it went and if any new info was brought up.  I was also hoping to run into people from this site, oh well.

thanks

laurie from maine

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jerry from Cape Cod
        Participant

Hi Laurie,

I made it in.  The three Doctors, Lawrence of MGH, Hodi of DF, and Mohadevan of BIDMC had excellent info from their areas of expertise.  The event was videotaped and will be available online soon. I'll make sure to get you a link.

Jerry from Cape Cod

King
            Participant

Yes, Jerry, would you post a link to the video when it's available?  I'm very interested in seeing/hearing it.

Thanks

Stay Strong

King (Born and raised in MA)

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

Jerry from Cape Cod
              Participant

King,

Born & raised in MA.. you forgot to add escaped!!!

Jerry

ChristineL
                Participant

I concur. I'd like the link, and I escaped. 🙂

ChristineL

ChristineL
                  Participant

I concur. I'd like the link, and I escaped. 🙂

ChristineL

Jerry from Cape Cod
                    Participant

King,

Born & raised in MA.. you forgot to add escaped!!!

Jerry

King
                      Participant

Yes, Jerry, would you post a link to the video when it's available?  I'm very interested in seeing/hearing it.

Thanks

Stay Strong

King (Born and raised in MA)

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

Jerry from Cape Cod
                      Participant

Hi Laurie,

I made it in.  The three Doctors, Lawrence of MGH, Hodi of DF, and Mohadevan of BIDMC had excellent info from their areas of expertise.  The event was videotaped and will be available online soon. I'll make sure to get you a link.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Rocco
                        Participant

Hi Laurie,

I attended last evening. Here are some of my notes:   The theme last night was 'hope'.  Mel Foundation of NE started with a short video of 4 survivors who gave testimony of their journey with melanoma.   Dr. Lawrence started by providing a slide deck presentation on "Melanoma 2010 – Targeted Therapy – Just the Beginning" which noted the amount of recent progress since 2009 in development of melanoma trials/treatment, including overviews of BRAF/NRAS/C-Kit mutations, PLX-4032, GSK112012 (MEK inhibitor), and mention of possible combinations of these in the future (some very early Phase IB/II trials).  Dr. Hodi (DFCI) didn't use a slide deck but spoke on the subject of Immunotherapy focusing on Ipilimumab (what is it, how it works, current status of FDA approval process). He mentioned that there were about a 1/2 dozen new drugs in the pipeline with even more still in the planning stages – again hope for the future.  Dr. Mahadevan from BIDMC provided the Radiation Oncologist viewpoint of changes in radiation therapy over the years and provided info on ablation, sterostatic radiation (typically for brain mets) and for Sterostatic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) – when to use it, etc.  This is often under the names: Novalis, Trilogy, CyberKnife (which he has most experience with).  He also discussed side effects of radiation.  About an hour of the symposium was spent with Q&A to the panel of 3 doctors.  A number of great questions from the audience.  I was happy to hear a brief positive mention by Dr. Lawrence on the early phase trial (Adoptive Cell Transfer of Mart1/Melan-A) run by Dr. Marc Butler that I was a participant in back in early 2008.  This was brought up when an individual was asking for an update on the NCI Cell Transfer trails.  Hope this helps…..

Jerry from Cape Cod
                            Participant

Hey Rocco,

Much better synopsis than I could have done!!!

I wish I knew you were there so we could have met…. maybe next time.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Laurie from maine
                              Participant

Hi

Thank you I would love the link when you see it and thank you for the great info.   It would be good to put faces to the names you see on this site, next time I will be sure to come.

thanks

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                Participant

Hi

Thank you I would love the link when you see it and thank you for the great info.   It would be good to put faces to the names you see on this site, next time I will be sure to come.

thanks

laurie from maine

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                  Participant

Hey Rocco,

Much better synopsis than I could have done!!!

I wish I knew you were there so we could have met…. maybe next time.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Rocco
                                  Participant

Hi Laurie,

I attended last evening. Here are some of my notes:   The theme last night was 'hope'.  Mel Foundation of NE started with a short video of 4 survivors who gave testimony of their journey with melanoma.   Dr. Lawrence started by providing a slide deck presentation on "Melanoma 2010 – Targeted Therapy – Just the Beginning" which noted the amount of recent progress since 2009 in development of melanoma trials/treatment, including overviews of BRAF/NRAS/C-Kit mutations, PLX-4032, GSK112012 (MEK inhibitor), and mention of possible combinations of these in the future (some very early Phase IB/II trials).  Dr. Hodi (DFCI) didn't use a slide deck but spoke on the subject of Immunotherapy focusing on Ipilimumab (what is it, how it works, current status of FDA approval process). He mentioned that there were about a 1/2 dozen new drugs in the pipeline with even more still in the planning stages – again hope for the future.  Dr. Mahadevan from BIDMC provided the Radiation Oncologist viewpoint of changes in radiation therapy over the years and provided info on ablation, sterostatic radiation (typically for brain mets) and for Sterostatic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) – when to use it, etc.  This is often under the names: Novalis, Trilogy, CyberKnife (which he has most experience with).  He also discussed side effects of radiation.  About an hour of the symposium was spent with Q&A to the panel of 3 doctors.  A number of great questions from the audience.  I was happy to hear a brief positive mention by Dr. Lawrence on the early phase trial (Adoptive Cell Transfer of Mart1/Melan-A) run by Dr. Marc Butler that I was a participant in back in early 2008.  This was brought up when an individual was asking for an update on the NCI Cell Transfer trails.  Hope this helps…..

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics