The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bonnie…found this

Forums General Melanoma Community Bonnie…found this

Participant

I was reading an article about Daniel, the Beagle mix, that survived the gas chamber:

Mindy Gilbert, Alabama director for the Humane Society of the United States, said Daniel's story explains why the group pushed the Alabama Legislature to ban gas chambers for euthanizing dogs, effective December 31. She said many states still use them.

'They are still considered a humane method in many parts of the country.'

I was reading an article about Daniel, the Beagle mix, that survived the gas chamber:

Mindy Gilbert, Alabama director for the Humane Society of the United States, said Daniel's story explains why the group pushed the Alabama Legislature to ban gas chambers for euthanizing dogs, effective December 31. She said many states still use them.

'They are still considered a humane method in many parts of the country.'

At least 15 states, including New Jersey and New York, have banned carbon monoxide for euthanizing shelter animals.

The ASPCA recommends injections of sodium pentobarbital for euthanizing shelter animals because it is faster, quicker and safer than carbon monoxide.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2055691/Miracle-dog-Daniel-beagle-adoption-surviving-gas-chamber.html#ixzz1cUAzFCkC 

John was right though…there is no good way for a dog to die.  This little guy will find a good home, but there are so many unwanted animals.

Big sigh.

k.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        BonnieLea
        Participant

I know Kim, but I kept on thinking of the horrors we all learned about from WW2 and the two words gas chamber.  Why even hhorrific scoundrals get 'lethat injection'  we had to have our dear LabXBorder Collie put down due to cancer in the gut, and a compressed disk.  She was 14  it was a so much better way to see her just slip away head on my lap. To imagine dogs all barking perhaps, then silence.

But Daniel came through…the article stated a higher stature or if he climbed up?  are they not even in cages?  No No I guess I dont wanna know.

But Thanks!

Bonnie

BonnieLea
          Participant

I know Kim, but I kept on thinking of the horrors we all learned about from WW2 and the two words gas chamber.  Why even hhorrific scoundrals get 'lethat injection'  we had to have our dear LabXBorder Collie put down due to cancer in the gut, and a compressed disk.  She was 14  it was a so much better way to see her just slip away head on my lap. To imagine dogs all barking perhaps, then silence.

But Daniel came through…the article stated a higher stature or if he climbed up?  are they not even in cages?  No No I guess I dont wanna know.

But Thanks!

Bonnie

BonnieLea
            Participant

But Thanks!

Bonnie

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics