The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bone Mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Bone Mets

Participant

I would like to know how bone mets are detected???? Is there a special scan??? How are bone mets detected?

Thanks You for your reply, Douglas (wife Julie stage 4)

I would like to know how bone mets are detected???? Is there a special scan??? How are bone mets detected?

Thanks You for your reply, Douglas (wife Julie stage 4)

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lori C
        Participant

Hi,

Will had bone mets and they were detected with CT scans.    They caused a fair bit of pain at a certain point, which was treated with fentanyl patches.   The last chemo he was on (which was fairly effective for him) caused them to sclerose, or begin healing.

Lori C
          Participant

Hi,

Will had bone mets and they were detected with CT scans.    They caused a fair bit of pain at a certain point, which was treated with fentanyl patches.   The last chemo he was on (which was fairly effective for him) caused them to sclerose, or begin healing.

LynnLuc
            Participant

When I was first diagnosed with stage 4 they gave me a bone scan with dye…they didn't find anything and I remember the tech saying "what are you here for? There is nothing wrong with you! " I was always so tearful back then and could hardly hold it back…he was so accusing like I was faking something…I said I have stage 4 melanoma and didn't ask for this test!' I told my radiation oncologist and he said he was going to take of of him and it would never happen to another patient LOL

LynnLuc
              Participant

When I was first diagnosed with stage 4 they gave me a bone scan with dye…they didn't find anything and I remember the tech saying "what are you here for? There is nothing wrong with you! " I was always so tearful back then and could hardly hold it back…he was so accusing like I was faking something…I said I have stage 4 melanoma and didn't ask for this test!' I told my radiation oncologist and he said he was going to take of of him and it would never happen to another patient LOL

Carmon in NM
                Participant

Along with everything else, I have a ruptured disc and was experiencing extreme back and nerve pain. My onc assured me that if there were any bone mets to my spine that the PET scan and IV contrast CT scan would show them and that there is no sign of bone mets in my case. She told me to determine if I have new non-cancerous spinal damage, I would have to have an MRI ordered specificially for that.

I hope that helps and that you have a peaceful holiday – Carmon in NM Stage 4

Carmon in NM
                  Participant

Along with everything else, I have a ruptured disc and was experiencing extreme back and nerve pain. My onc assured me that if there were any bone mets to my spine that the PET scan and IV contrast CT scan would show them and that there is no sign of bone mets in my case. She told me to determine if I have new non-cancerous spinal damage, I would have to have an MRI ordered specificially for that.

I hope that helps and that you have a peaceful holiday – Carmon in NM Stage 4

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics