The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bone Metastasis

Forums General Melanoma Community Bone Metastasis

Participant

We are looking for clinical trials to get my brother-in-law into for his Stage 4 Melanoma treatment. All of the trials we are finding say he has to have a "measurable lesion." He hs 3 lesions: one on his femur, one on his L2 vertebrae, and one on his 5th rib. They are all approximately 3/4 of an inch in size. So the main question here is: can bone mets actually be considered "measureable?" I have heard both yes and no. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        RJoeyB
        Participant

Sorry to hear that you're dealing with this frustrating situation.  My understanding is that, for the purposes of clinical trials, bone lesions are not considered "measurable".  I've had a number of bone lesions in my left humerus, left tibia, and left and right femurs.  I first heard this with my first bone lesion, the one in my humerus.  I had another tumor that we were able to use so it didn't prevent me from entering the trial in which I participated, but I did have a discussion about measurable vs. non-meaurable as it related to monitoring response to treatment (response vs. disease progression vs. stable disease), and the bone lesion could not be used for that either.

As I understand it, the reasoning for it has to do with how bone lesions appear on scans, even when they are responding to treatment.  While bone lesions often appear very clearly on CT or MRI, even if they respond to treatment (whether chemotherapy, radiation, immunotherapy, or other), they usually will still appear on scans without changing in size.  I have seen this with a few of the bone lesions I've had (at least those that haven't had to be surgically removed).  Years later, they still show up on scans and haven't changed much in size.  On PET scan, however, they are no longer metabolically active as would be seen with active disease.  Unfortunately, PET scans aren't nearly precise enough to be used for measurement of disease.

Trials often use a standard known as "RECIST" to measure disease — and measurement is a physical meaurement of lesion size, not metabolic activity as in a PET scan.  If you search the web for RECIST, you can read more about it.  Specifically, here's a link about RECIST and most bone lesions being unmeasurable:

http://www.recist.com/recist-comparative/04.html

I know it's frustrating, because with no other measurable disease, it can keep you out of many trials, putting you in the awkward position of needing needing a soft tissue lesion in order to get into a trial that may be your best treatment option.  However, has your brother-in-law already tried any or all of the newly approved therapies:  ipiliimumab, BRAF/MEK inhibitors (if he's BRAF positive), or pembrolizumab?  None of those should have the measurable disease requirement now that they're approved.

Joe

RJoeyB
          Participant

Sorry to hear that you're dealing with this frustrating situation.  My understanding is that, for the purposes of clinical trials, bone lesions are not considered "measurable".  I've had a number of bone lesions in my left humerus, left tibia, and left and right femurs.  I first heard this with my first bone lesion, the one in my humerus.  I had another tumor that we were able to use so it didn't prevent me from entering the trial in which I participated, but I did have a discussion about measurable vs. non-meaurable as it related to monitoring response to treatment (response vs. disease progression vs. stable disease), and the bone lesion could not be used for that either.

As I understand it, the reasoning for it has to do with how bone lesions appear on scans, even when they are responding to treatment.  While bone lesions often appear very clearly on CT or MRI, even if they respond to treatment (whether chemotherapy, radiation, immunotherapy, or other), they usually will still appear on scans without changing in size.  I have seen this with a few of the bone lesions I've had (at least those that haven't had to be surgically removed).  Years later, they still show up on scans and haven't changed much in size.  On PET scan, however, they are no longer metabolically active as would be seen with active disease.  Unfortunately, PET scans aren't nearly precise enough to be used for measurement of disease.

Trials often use a standard known as "RECIST" to measure disease — and measurement is a physical meaurement of lesion size, not metabolic activity as in a PET scan.  If you search the web for RECIST, you can read more about it.  Specifically, here's a link about RECIST and most bone lesions being unmeasurable:

I know it's frustrating, because with no other measurable disease, it can keep you out of many trials, putting you in the awkward position of needing needing a soft tissue lesion in order to get into a trial that may be your best treatment option.  However, has your brother-in-law already tried any or all of the newly approved therapies:  ipiliimumab, BRAF/MEK inhibitors (if he's BRAF positive), or pembrolizumab?  None of those should have the measurable disease requirement now that they're approved.

Joe

RJoeyB
            Participant

Joe

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Pretty much everything I have started in a bone. Like almost 2 dozen of them. Depending on how much the bone met increases it can involve soft tissue. Once that happens it is measurable. Otherwise they consider them not measurable. Mine were apparently measurable long before I visibly saw anything I just didn't know soft tissue was invovled.

However some doctors might consider it for their own trial rather than a national trial and utilize the pet as their measure. You might want to contact Dr Weber at Moffit and see if he would. I'm not sure who else might.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

Pretty much everything I have started in a bone. Like almost 2 dozen of them. Depending on how much the bone met increases it can involve soft tissue. Once that happens it is measurable. Otherwise they consider them not measurable. Mine were apparently measurable long before I visibly saw anything I just didn't know soft tissue was invovled.

However some doctors might consider it for their own trial rather than a national trial and utilize the pet as their measure. You might want to contact Dr Weber at Moffit and see if he would. I'm not sure who else might.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics