The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

bone metasis pain management

Forums General Melanoma Community bone metasis pain management

Participant

I have been on this forum for the past five years fighting my Stage 3C melanoma.  I have learned so much from all of you!  I know in the past, I have read information regarding how to handle excruciating pain when bone mets are involved.  A friend is suffering and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience managing this type of pain.

Thanks so much for your help!

Tricia

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

I hope that others here can give you specific information about what works to manage pain from bone mets. I did find a very helpful webinar about pain management on the Melanoma International web site. You can view it here: http://melanomainternational.org/webinar/2012/03/strategies-for-pain-management/#.Uv-CTygq8wE

There is a relatively new, FDA approved treatment for intractable pain called ziconotide (trade name Prialt) . It is said to work extremely well but it needs to be administered via a port into the spinal column. It might be worth checking out, though. 

triciad
            Participant

Thank you SO much for this information.  I've passed it along to my friend…I hope she can get some relief.

I am amazed at how much you know about melanoma.  Your brother was so lucky to have an advocate like you, and we are so lucky that you have stayed with us during our journeys.  Blessings to you and all of the warriors for being my extended family.  As they say, "It takes a village!"

Thank you again for your help!!

triciad
              Participant

Thank you SO much for this information.  I've passed it along to my friend…I hope she can get some relief.

I am amazed at how much you know about melanoma.  Your brother was so lucky to have an advocate like you, and we are so lucky that you have stayed with us during our journeys.  Blessings to you and all of the warriors for being my extended family.  As they say, "It takes a village!"

triciad
                Participant

POW
                Participant

I hope that others here can give you specific information about what works to manage pain from bone mets. I did find a very helpful webinar about pain management on the Melanoma International web site. You can view it here: http://melanomainternational.org/webinar/2012/03/strategies-for-pain-management/#.Uv-CTygq8wE

There is a relatively new, FDA approved treatment for intractable pain called ziconotide (trade name Prialt) . It is said to work extremely well but it needs to be administered via a port into the spinal column. It might be worth checking out, though. 

POW
                  Participant

jim Breitfeller
                    Participant

Tricia,

there is a new drug that may help for bone mets called cometriq. Your friend may be able to use it as off-label use.(Cometriq) Shows Promise in Prostate Cancer Spread to Bone

In addition to the improvements seen on bone scans, 67% of patients with bone pain reported an improvement in pain control, and 56% of patients decreased …

I believe it may help with the bone mets in melanoma

jim breitfeller
                        triciad
                        Participant

Jim,

It's so good to have you back!  Thank you for this information.  I will pass it along to her as well. 

I thought about you during the MRF synposium in NYC last weekend.  I kept thinking, "Jimmy B. should be on this panel!!!"

Thanks again for this and ALL the information you've shared with us throughout the years!

Tricia

triciad
                          Participant

Jim,

It's so good to have you back!  Thank you for this information.  I will pass it along to her as well. 

I thought about you during the MRF synposium in NYC last weekend.  I kept thinking, "Jimmy B. should be on this panel!!!"

Thanks again for this and ALL the information you've shared with us throughout the years!

Tricia

triciad
                            Participant

Jim,

Tricia

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

Tricia,

there is a new drug that may help for bone mets called cometriq. Your friend may be able to use it as off-label use.(Cometriq) Shows Promise in Prostate Cancer Spread to Bone

In addition to the improvements seen on bone scans, 67% of patients with bone pain reported an improvement in pain control, and 56% of patients decreased …

jim breitfeller
                              jim Breitfeller
                              Participant

Tricia,

jim breitfeller
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics