The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BMS is approved!

Forums General Melanoma Community BMS is approved!

• Replies
      Maureen038
      Participant

Fantastic news!! Thank you so much for posting this article!!

Maureen

Maureen038
        Participant

Maureen

Maureen038
          Participant

Maureen

DZnDef
            Participant

Always great news to have another option in the arsenal.

Could someone clarify for me the following statement in the article linked above?:

"Results showed that 32 percent of participants receiving Opdivo had their tumors shrink (objective response rate). This effect lasted for more than six months in approximately one-third of the participants who experienced tumor shrinkage."

So 1/3rd of 32% of the patients had a durable response (longer than six months)?  So roughly 11% of the patients had a durable response?  Am I doing the math right?

Squash
                Participant

That is how i calculate it.

Then you also have to consider side effects i guess.

It doesnt seem all that great unless it works well in combo with other drugs.

Squash
                  Participant

Squash
                    Participant

DZnDef
                    Participant

Could someone clarify for me the following statement in the article linked above?:

"Results showed that 32 percent of participants receiving Opdivo had their tumors shrink (objective response rate). This effect lasted for more than six months in approximately one-third of the participants who experienced tumor shrinkage."

So 1/3rd of 32% of the patients had a durable response (longer than six months)?  So roughly 11% of the patients had a durable response?  Am I doing the math right?

DZnDef
                      Participant

Bubbles
                        Participant

Merck's anti-PD1, Pembrolizumab, now called Keytruda and BMS's anti-PD1, Nivolumab, now called Opdivo are, per most melanoma experts – basically the same drug.  You can find one study here and another study there that puts this one over that one on particular points….but ultimately they have basically the same side effects and the same rate of response and generally efficacy.  As for as duration of response…y'all gonna have to see what happens to the ratties who took it first.  Both drugs are relatively new in human data….I began a Nivo trial in 2010, as did 32 of my fellow ratties.  10 are dead.  The rest of us are alive and kicking.  But "duration" of response takes time to ascertain.  In some ways, Opdivo has more clinical data than Keytruda.  I was hoping that Nivo/Opdivo was holding back on FDA approval because they were seeking approval as a first line drug for melanoma since they have some data to back that up.  But…that is not what materialized today.  Not what I was hoping for…but still gives more options for others, despite the required prerequisite treatments of ipi/yervoy and BRAFi…if BRAF positve. Oh, well….  what more can a rattie do?  Here is an analysis from the June ASCO reports comparing the anti-PD1 products if you're interested:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/07/nivoipi-combo-nivo-vs-pembro-pd-l1.html

I wish you all my best! Celeste

Bubbles
                          Participant

Merck's anti-PD1, Pembrolizumab, now called Keytruda and BMS's anti-PD1, Nivolumab, now called Opdivo are, per most melanoma experts – basically the same drug.  You can find one study here and another study there that puts this one over that one on particular points….but ultimately they have basically the same side effects and the same rate of response and generally efficacy.  As for as duration of response…y'all gonna have to see what happens to the ratties who took it first.  Both drugs are relatively new in human data….I began a Nivo trial in 2010, as did 32 of my fellow ratties.  10 are dead.  The rest of us are alive and kicking.  But "duration" of response takes time to ascertain.  In some ways, Opdivo has more clinical data than Keytruda.  I was hoping that Nivo/Opdivo was holding back on FDA approval because they were seeking approval as a first line drug for melanoma since they have some data to back that up.  But…that is not what materialized today.  Not what I was hoping for…but still gives more options for others, despite the required prerequisite treatments of ipi/yervoy and BRAFi…if BRAF positve. Oh, well….  what more can a rattie do?  Here is an analysis from the June ASCO reports comparing the anti-PD1 products if you're interested:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/07/nivoipi-combo-nivo-vs-pembro-pd-l1.html

Bubbles
                            Participant

Bubbles
                                Participant

Sorry guys, just realized I mis-spoke!!  Only 5 of the souls who put their lives on the line in my cohort of the nivo trial have passed.  10 have RELAPSED!!  Big difference, my error.  Of the remaining 5, 4 are currently NED.  One is doing well on a BRAF/MEK combo.  Sorry for the error and any confusion.  In a week of big news regarding nivo/opdivo…the results of my NED Nivo/Opdivo trial were finally published.  My synopsis of the full report is here…if you are interested.  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/12/cest-moi-results-from-33-raties-in-my.html

My best to all of you.  C

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Sorry guys, just realized I mis-spoke!!  Only 5 of the souls who put their lives on the line in my cohort of the nivo trial have passed.  10 have RELAPSED!!  Big difference, my error.  Of the remaining 5, 4 are currently NED.  One is doing well on a BRAF/MEK combo.  Sorry for the error and any confusion.  In a week of big news regarding nivo/opdivo…the results of my NED Nivo/Opdivo trial were finally published.  My synopsis of the full report is here…if you are interested.  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/12/cest-moi-results-from-33-raties-in-my.html

Squash
                                    Participant

The results from your fellow ratties seem a lot better than what has been published.

How selective were they for the trials?

I mean by excluding all sorts of people they can effectively bias the results in favour of the drug they want marketed.

Squash
                                      Participant

The results from your fellow ratties seem a lot better than what has been published.

I mean by excluding all sorts of people they can effectively bias the results in favour of the drug they want marketed.

Bubbles
                                        Participant

The entire report…exclusions and all…are in the link. My study was the one conducted on Nivo and vaccine every 2 weeks for 6 months, followed by nivo alone every three months for 2 additional years.  There were three dosage levels, 1mg/kg, 3 mg/kg, 10mg/kg.  There were two arms:  One – a nonresected stage IV melanoma group (there are multiple reports out on this group…on my blog and elsewhere…as well as data on additional cohorts that were added later).  Two – mine, for whom the results are just now being published – which was Stage IV/Stage IIIC (only 2 Stage III) resected.  So…yes.  These data are different from the non-resected group…and time will tell where it falls out in the end. Yours, c

Bubbles
                                          Participant

The entire report…exclusions and all…are in the link. My study was the one conducted on Nivo and vaccine every 2 weeks for 6 months, followed by nivo alone every three months for 2 additional years.  There were three dosage levels, 1mg/kg, 3 mg/kg, 10mg/kg.  There were two arms:  One – a nonresected stage IV melanoma group (there are multiple reports out on this group…on my blog and elsewhere…as well as data on additional cohorts that were added later).  Two – mine, for whom the results are just now being published – which was Stage IV/Stage IIIC (only 2 Stage III) resected.  So…yes.  These data are different from the non-resected group…and time will tell where it falls out in the end. Yours, c

Bubbles
                                            Participant

Squash
                                              Participant

Bubbles
                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics