The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Blood vessels?

Forums General Melanoma Community Blood vessels?

Participant

Dr said that they were concerned becasue there were alot of blood vessels running into the spot they removed on my sons shoulder.  What does that mean?

Dr said that they were concerned becasue there were alot of blood vessels running into the spot they removed on my sons shoulder.  What does that mean?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        W.
        Participant

Tumors often have the ability to induce the growth of new blood vessels.

However, this does not necessary mean that it is a malignant thing.

Benign nevi also make new blood vessels. This is often the case with "Spitz nevi" which are somewhat common in children.

Here is a study that compares the vessel growth of melanoma and Spitz nevi: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9194579

alicat
            Participant

My son is 17 yrs old and we have a strong family historty of Melanoma.  My husband had stage 3 and my mother  inlaw died from melaonoma when she was 29. The spot they biopsied looked suspious.  I was just taken back by the docters concern.  

WayneG
              Participant

Concern is better than my dermatologist who looked at the mole behind my ear and said, no problem, that I "might" want to get it removed, and that the incidence of melanoma was not increasing.  That was 13 years ago and yes, it was melanoma.  Needless to say I fired that doctor.  Always better to be vigilent.

Wayne

WayneG
                Participant

Concern is better than my dermatologist who looked at the mole behind my ear and said, no problem, that I "might" want to get it removed, and that the incidence of melanoma was not increasing.  That was 13 years ago and yes, it was melanoma.  Needless to say I fired that doctor.  Always better to be vigilent.

Wayne

WayneG
                  Participant

Wayne

alicat
                    Participant

My son is 17 yrs old and we have a strong family historty of Melanoma.  My husband had stage 3 and my mother  inlaw died from melaonoma when she was 29. The spot they biopsied looked suspious.  I was just taken back by the docters concern.  

alicat
                      Participant

W.
                      Participant

Benign nevi also make new blood vessels. This is often the case with "Spitz nevi" which are somewhat common in children.

Here is a study that compares the vessel growth of melanoma and Spitz nevi: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9194579

W.
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics