The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Blood test

Forums General Melanoma Community Blood test

Participant

I have never been that person who goes to the doctor for checkups, but with all the Melanoma mess I decided to do the right thing. I had a blood test to check all the usual suspects, cholesterol etc. They are way out of the ball park and I am going to work on that. However, he also tested a couple of things I never heard of. They have to with inflammation and the possibility of heart disease. They are hs-CRP and Fibrinogen. The results are off the charts. High for the first one 2.9 and mine was 32.2. For the second one high is 464 amd mine is 658.

I have never been that person who goes to the doctor for checkups, but with all the Melanoma mess I decided to do the right thing. I had a blood test to check all the usual suspects, cholesterol etc. They are way out of the ball park and I am going to work on that. However, he also tested a couple of things I never heard of. They have to with inflammation and the possibility of heart disease. They are hs-CRP and Fibrinogen. The results are off the charts. High for the first one 2.9 and mine was 32.2. For the second one high is 464 amd mine is 658. He says this show a really large amount of inflammation somewhere in my body. Said it could be a result of cancer or the surgery, but there is no way to know for sure. Anyone out there familiar with this?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

no, never heard of these, just heard of LDH

JC
          Participant

JC
            Participant

lou2
              Participant

Infections can do this (produce high fibrinogen) because one of the body's defenses against them are hypercoagulation, to prevent spread.  But it would be hard to say which ones you should be tested for.  Some people use enzymes in this situation–note the contraindications:

http://www.vrp.com/heart-health/fibrinogen-an-under-recognized-enemy-to-cardiovascular-health

Don't know how surgery/cancer affects blood dynamics.

lou2
                Participant

Infections can do this (produce high fibrinogen) because one of the body's defenses against them are hypercoagulation, to prevent spread.  But it would be hard to say which ones you should be tested for.  Some people use enzymes in this situation–note the contraindications:

http://www.vrp.com/heart-health/fibrinogen-an-under-recognized-enemy-to-cardiovascular-health

lou2
                  Participant

Tina D
                    Participant

I have not. Did he offer any ideas of narrowing it down or follow up?

Tina

mama1960
                        Participant

No, except to make sure that I am seeing my oncologist. I am. Scan February 5. He will recheck levels in 2 months.

mama1960
                          Participant

No, except to make sure that I am seeing my oncologist. I am. Scan February 5. He will recheck levels in 2 months.

mama1960
                            Participant

Tina D
                              Participant

Well, that sounds like a good plan, just to be safe. A PET CT can put your mind to ease while you wait for time to recheck those levels.

Tina

Tina D
                                Participant

Well, that sounds like a good plan, just to be safe. A PET CT can put your mind to ease while you wait for time to recheck those levels.

Tina

Tina D
                                  Participant

Tina

Tina D
                                  Participant

Tina

Tina D
                                    Participant

Tina

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Never hearad of those terms for blood checks.  Will look them up.  WhatI find very interesting about your post is that there have been being more articles and studies about work being that indicates that a daily 325 grain aspirin appears to reduce the chances one will experience either or both; the initial occufrance of cancer and the re-occurance.  Some studies say they don't understaand the relaationship, others speculate that it is because aspirin reduces the inflamation in the body and therefore reduces the growth of new blood passaages that would feed cancer tumors.  You've given me something else to look up – THANKS !

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Never hearad of those terms for blood checks.  Will look them up.  WhatI find very interesting about your post is that there have been being more articles and studies about work being that indicates that a daily 325 grain aspirin appears to reduce the chances one will experience either or both; the initial occufrance of cancer and the re-occurance.  Some studies say they don't understaand the relaationship, others speculate that it is because aspirin reduces the inflamation in the body and therefore reduces the growth of new blood passaages that would feed cancer tumors.  You've given me something else to look up – THANKS !

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics