The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Blood clots relation to reoccurrence??

Forums General Melanoma Community Blood clots relation to reoccurrence??

Participant
      Quick overview: diagnosed 2b melanoma…surgery, 1 yr interferon now 1 year since completion of interferon, (2 yrs NED). Stopped interferon last may. Jan comes along and I have this terrible pain in my left upper back, to the point I drive myself to ER at midnight. Doc does chest X-ray, then ct scan. Sent home with diagnosis of pulm embolism in right lung. Started blood thinner xalrato. Md says that’s a head scratcher stay on blood thinners for about a year and call me if any problems. ( at this same time, my hemoglobin drops from 11.5 to 8.2 for no reason.

Quick overview: diagnosed 2b melanoma…surgery, 1 yr interferon now 1 year since completion of interferon, (2 yrs NED). Stopped interferon last may. Jan comes along and I have this terrible pain in my left upper back, to the point I drive myself to ER at midnight. Doc does chest X-ray, then ct scan. Sent home with diagnosis of pulm embolism in right lung. Started blood thinner xalrato. Md says that’s a head scratcher stay on blood thinners for about a year and call me if any problems. ( at this same time, my hemoglobin drops from 11.5 to 8.2 for no reason. I get so weak & fatigued that I request a d iron infusion and iv fluids to pull myself together) So, here it is five months later and my oncologist finds out about PE . He sets up appt to see local hematologist and talk about relation with blood clots and reoccurrence.
      My question…..is this all really necessary? I’m 36, active with three kids. I don’t have all the time to keep going to appts. I am feeling fine. Had a pet scan done in jan that was clear. Has anyone else dealt with blood clots? We’re they related to reoccurrence ?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cindy VT
        Participant

I don't kno.  I have had 3 blood clots.  One after surgery in my leg.  One that caused a stroke, it was from my heart. Then another clot in my heart last summer.  But I'm 56 years old.  So maybe its my age.  I'm a melanoma patient for 29  years.

Stage IIIB

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
          Participant

I don't kno.  I have had 3 blood clots.  One after surgery in my leg.  One that caused a stroke, it was from my heart. Then another clot in my heart last summer.  But I'm 56 years old.  So maybe its my age.  I'm a melanoma patient for 29  years.

Stage IIIB

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
            Participant

Stage IIIB

Cindy VT

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics