The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

bleeding brain met, liver inflammation

Forums General Melanoma Community bleeding brain met, liver inflammation

Participant

Hi

My husband, Pete, found out yesterday that one of his many brain mets is bleeding and his liver is very inflamed. He finished 5 days of whole brain radiation last week and was scheduled to have his 3rd Ippi infusion today.   He has to take a break from the Ippi and switch from Dexamethasone to Prednisone to try to address the liver and brain bleeding.  We'll be meeting with the oncologist weekly for blood work.  If he develops very bad headaches, we are to go to emerg.  I did a search on brain bleeds here on the forums and all the posts that I could find seemed to indicate that bleeding brain mets signalled "the end".  Is that the case?  No one has mentioned hospice to us at this point.  Pete isn't in pain, his only symptom is extreme fatigue and some unsteadiness with walking.  I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Yasmin

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sha20vs
        Participant

Hi Yasmin,

My understanding is that they can still continue to do treatement even with a brain met that is bleeding and that it doesn't necessarily mean "the end".  WIth that being said, I would have the conversation with your doctor.  Does he still plan on giving him the Ipi?  I know with my family memeber who had Melanom, we had the conversation with the doctor that their may become a point there is a "hard stop" meaning based on the progression, the treatment would no long be beneficial.  His doctor was very firm when that point came and we moved him to hospice. 

yazziemac
            Participant

Thanks for your reply—at this point the doctor says they will wait a few weeks and do blood work weekly, to see if the liver inflammation gets resolved.  The liver is the primary reason the Ipi is on hold currently. If Pete were to get the Ipi now, there is a chance he would go into liver failure.  The bleeding brain met was not the reason for the Ipi to be on hold, as  I understand it.  If the liver calms down, Ipi will resume in a few weeks.  I'm just feeling really scared about this bleeding brain met and the lack of treatment (other than steroids) for a period of a few weeks.  Pete's tumours grow so rapidly that a few weeks seems like a very long time to wait for the next Ipi…

Yasmin

BrianP
              Participant

Yasmin,

Is moving to an anti-pd1 drug an option?  I think disease progression is not the only reason you could be considered a ipi failure. Severe side effects could also make you a ipi failure and hence eligible for anti-pd1. Wish you and your husband well. 

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Yasmin,

Is moving to an anti-pd1 drug an option?  I think disease progression is not the only reason you could be considered a ipi failure. Severe side effects could also make you a ipi failure and hence eligible for anti-pd1. Wish you and your husband well. 

Brian

yazziemac
                  Participant

Thanks, Brian–I think he is ineligible for anti-pd1 at this point because he has unstable brain mets, unfortunately…

Yasmin

yazziemac
                    Participant

Thanks, Brian–I think he is ineligible for anti-pd1 at this point because he has unstable brain mets, unfortunately…

Yasmin

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

Since pd1 is fda approved unstable brain Mets should not be a reason for not getting it like the strict rules they had when it was in trial. Now the liver on the other hand could be a reason just like ipi however for keytruda at least the liver toxicity is way less than ipi from what I've seen. So it could be an option in my opinion. Rick's wife has had a great comeback with pd1 and the taf mek combo for her brain stuff. Good luck to you folks too.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Since pd1 is fda approved unstable brain Mets should not be a reason for not getting it like the strict rules they had when it was in trial. Now the liver on the other hand could be a reason just like ipi however for keytruda at least the liver toxicity is way less than ipi from what I've seen. So it could be an option in my opinion. Rick's wife has had a great comeback with pd1 and the taf mek combo for her brain stuff. Good luck to you folks too.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

Artie

yazziemac
                            Participant

Yasmin

BrianP
                              Participant

Yasmin,

Brian

yazziemac
                                Participant

Thanks for your reply—at this point the doctor says they will wait a few weeks and do blood work weekly, to see if the liver inflammation gets resolved.  The liver is the primary reason the Ipi is on hold currently. If Pete were to get the Ipi now, there is a chance he would go into liver failure.  The bleeding brain met was not the reason for the Ipi to be on hold, as  I understand it.  If the liver calms down, Ipi will resume in a few weeks.  I'm just feeling really scared about this bleeding brain met and the lack of treatment (other than steroids) for a period of a few weeks.  Pete's tumours grow so rapidly that a few weeks seems like a very long time to wait for the next Ipi…

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                  Participant

Yasmin

Sha20vs
                                  Participant

Hi Yasmin,

My understanding is that they can still continue to do treatement even with a brain met that is bleeding and that it doesn't necessarily mean "the end".  WIth that being said, I would have the conversation with your doctor.  Does he still plan on giving him the Ipi?  I know with my family memeber who had Melanom, we had the conversation with the doctor that their may become a point there is a "hard stop" meaning based on the progression, the treatment would no long be beneficial.  His doctor was very firm when that point came and we moved him to hospice. 

Sha20vs
                                    Participant

Hi Yasmin,

Patina
                                      Participant

My Mom has had 2 of 25 brain tumors with some bleeding. She was treated with gamma knife radiation not whole brain followed by ipi.  She's doing fine and you'd never know that anything was ever wrong.  – 1 year since last gamma knife treatment and the doctors do not see any reason she won't be around for a long time.

Concentrate on the liver and look into long term results of whole brain vs gamma knife. There is some speculation that whole brain does not "work" as long and gamma knife and gamma knife works as well.

“The essential criticism of employing Gamma Knife radiosurgery without WBRT for patients with several lesions is that microscopic tumors might go untreated, necessitating salvage stereotactic radiosurgery or an alternative therapy,” he adds. “Thus, WBRT is widely advocated. However, a recent study showed that WBRT is only able to prevent the emergence of new tumors for no more than six months post-treatment. Many patients with brain mets can survive for more than a year, thereby outliving the effects of WBRT.

http://www.elekta.com/press/9381f384-ff4a-4561-80c7-5175f5e0f381/study-finds-gamma-knife-radiosurgery-alone-yields-equal-survival-outcomes-for-patients-with-two-to-10-tumors.html

Patina
                                        Participant

My Mom has had 2 of 25 brain tumors with some bleeding. She was treated with gamma knife radiation not whole brain followed by ipi.  She's doing fine and you'd never know that anything was ever wrong.  – 1 year since last gamma knife treatment and the doctors do not see any reason she won't be around for a long time.

Concentrate on the liver and look into long term results of whole brain vs gamma knife. There is some speculation that whole brain does not "work" as long and gamma knife and gamma knife works as well.

“The essential criticism of employing Gamma Knife radiosurgery without WBRT for patients with several lesions is that microscopic tumors might go untreated, necessitating salvage stereotactic radiosurgery or an alternative therapy,” he adds. “Thus, WBRT is widely advocated. However, a recent study showed that WBRT is only able to prevent the emergence of new tumors for no more than six months post-treatment. Many patients with brain mets can survive for more than a year, thereby outliving the effects of WBRT.

http://www.elekta.com/press/9381f384-ff4a-4561-80c7-5175f5e0f381/study-finds-gamma-knife-radiosurgery-alone-yields-equal-survival-outcomes-for-patients-with-two-to-10-tumors.html

yazziemac
                                            Participant

Thanks, Patina.  Pete did have gamma knife in Nov/14 for one large brain met.  This time, however, he had to have WBR because there were far too many mets to do gamma knife again, unfortunately.  The WBR finished last week.

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                              Participant

Thanks, Patina.  Pete did have gamma knife in Nov/14 for one large brain met.  This time, however, he had to have WBR because there were far too many mets to do gamma knife again, unfortunately.  The WBR finished last week.

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                                Participant

Yasmin

Patina
                                                  Participant

How many does he have?  My Mom had 8 treated in the first treatment and 17 in the second.

Patina
                                                    Participant

How many does he have?  My Mom had 8 treated in the first treatment and 17 in the second.

yazziemac
                                                      Participant

I don't know the exact number of brain mets that he has, but he was assessed by a brain mets team of doctors at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto and they said gamma knife was not possible.  This could also be due to the location of the tumours, not just the number of them.  At this point, the whole brain radiation has already been completed.  We are just hoping that he can get back on immunotherapy asap, once his liver calms down.  It's very hard to wait for this to happen…

yazziemac
                                                        Participant

I don't know the exact number of brain mets that he has, but he was assessed by a brain mets team of doctors at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto and they said gamma knife was not possible.  This could also be due to the location of the tumours, not just the number of them.  At this point, the whole brain radiation has already been completed.  We are just hoping that he can get back on immunotherapy asap, once his liver calms down.  It's very hard to wait for this to happen…

Beezer
                                                          Participant

Hi Yasmin. I hope your husband is feeling better and that his liver is healing up. My sister had also finished WBRT and she is having her first ipi treatment this Friday, we are all anxious to see how it goes for her as she has reacted so poorly to the radiation she was on very strong steroids but they finished now but she still on keppra for the seizures she had before the radiation. Did your husband have ipi before his radiation

Beezer
                                                            Participant

Hi Yasmin. I hope your husband is feeling better and that his liver is healing up. My sister had also finished WBRT and she is having her first ipi treatment this Friday, we are all anxious to see how it goes for her as she has reacted so poorly to the radiation she was on very strong steroids but they finished now but she still on keppra for the seizures she had before the radiation. Did your husband have ipi before his radiation

yazziemac
                                                              Participant

My husband is now in hospital on IV steroids to try to reduce liver inflammation.  He hasn't been able to get his 3rd dose of Ipi because of this.  He had one dose of Ipi before his WBR and one dose afterwards, but now hasn't been able to continue.  Good luck to your sister!

yazziemac
                                                                Participant

My husband is now in hospital on IV steroids to try to reduce liver inflammation.  He hasn't been able to get his 3rd dose of Ipi because of this.  He had one dose of Ipi before his WBR and one dose afterwards, but now hasn't been able to continue.  Good luck to your sister!

yazziemac
                                                                  Participant

Beezer
                                                                    Participant

yazziemac
                                                                      Participant

Patina
                                                                        Participant

Patina
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics