The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Black lesion on tonsil

Forums General Melanoma Community Black lesion on tonsil

Participant
      I started last week with a sore, scratchy throat and a cough. Sunday of this week I felt like there was something stuck in the back of my throat so I got the flashlight out and looked around back there. I was surprised to find a black lesion that takes up about 1/4 of my right tonsil. I texted my onc office and got in on Monday. They said they have never seen anything like it before. I did alot of reading and the good news is melanoma in the tonsil seems to be rare, but what in the world could it be? Right now I am scheduled for a biopsy next Thursday. I am hoping it is a blood clot or some type of infection that will be gone by then,but so far there has been no changes. Anyone have any experience they can share? I am nervous what this may mean for the Clinical trial I have invested so much time travel in. Trying not to worry and take it one day at a time.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hi, Lisa.

Tonsilar melanome IS indeed pretty rare, but I managed to have it!!  Even so, I had a right tonsillectomy back in 2010 (after having a brain met zapped with SRS and a right upper lobectomy of my lung due to bronchial melanoma), joined a nivo trial for 2 1/2 years and remain NED with no treatments since June of 2013.  BUT!!!!  The fact that you had a sore throat and cough is NOT consistent with melanoma and makes other things more likely in your case!!!!  Exudate from viruses and even thrush can at times have a "black" appearance.  However, once we've been down this path you have no choice but to do the biopsy and find out for sure.  I'm going to keep fingers crossed for you on Thursday and hope that your results are negative for melanoma.  Hang in there.  Sorry you are having to deal with this, but the odds are that it is something else!!!  Keep us posted.  Yours, Celeste

rabbits68
            Participant
              Thank you Celeste. Your response is encouraging. As we all know, the waiting game is difficult. I thought all of my symptoms sounded viral, but I will be glad to see a report confirming that. It is amazing what you have gone through and are NED. God is still working miracles!
        Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics