The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy today – scar tissue or melanoma??

Forums General Melanoma Community Biopsy today – scar tissue or melanoma??

Participant

Hi everyone.

I haven't posted on here in quite some time. No news is good news, right? =)

Hi everyone.

I haven't posted on here in quite some time. No news is good news, right? =)

My primary melanoma was on my forehead. I have had three wide excision surgeries on my forehead since 2007 because it has recurred twice in the same area. My last surgery was September of 2009. I have had a couple of bumps on the edge of the scar line for as long as I can remember since the last surgery. Over the last couple of months, I noticed that every day they seemed different in size. Some days they seemed more swollen than others and they have also had some slight coloration under the skin. They sort of looked blue. The surgeon that performed the surgery has seen them several times but not been worried about them. My oncologist does not like that they seem to be changing, so he orderd a biopsy.

The biopsy was performed today at my plastic surgeon's office. He said that the tissue was grissly, which typically means scar tissue. He said it was a little darker in color though. He said it was a little bluish grey. With all of my biopsies in the past, grey has been melanoma. Pink tissue has been benign. Have any of you had an experience where scar tissue looked colored under the skin? My oncologist thought it was possible that I had stitches that had never dissolved from the prior surgery causing these bumps.

Now I begin the oh so fun waiting game. It's always hurry up and wait isn't it!? Drives me crazy sometimes.  Since there was some color to it, I'm preparing myself for the worst. Sometimes it is easier to expect the worst so that I'm prepared for it. I'm just looking for other people's experiences, thoughts, encouragement. =)

Thanks!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sherron
        Participant

Angela, I have no advice for you, but am hoping and praying that your results come back okay….

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Sherron
          Participant

Angela, I have no advice for you, but am hoping and praying that your results come back okay….

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Janis B.
            Participant

Angela, I have had several scares related to suspicious bumps inside scar tissue (I've had two WLE's in the same place, on my right forearm).  Each time, it turned out to be stitches that did not dissolve or were not removed following surgery (and I have a really GREAT surgeon – hate to think what might have been left behind with a poor surgeon:)  Anyway, I hope this gives you some encouragement and relieves some of your fears.  Like most of us, I go on living my life as fully as possible one day at a time, but when something pops up (literally), the fear returns with a vengeance, so I understand what you're going through.

Praying for you and hoping for the very best.

Janis

Stage IIIC  NED since 11/10

Angela C
                Participant

Janis,

Thanks so much for your reply! That does make me feel a little better.

These bumps have been there for at least nine months and they have barely changed in shape at all. That makes me feel more confident that it might not be anything. But, the color has me concerned. At the very least, if it is melanoma, I caught it very early.

Thanks!

Angela C
                  Participant

Janis,

Thanks so much for your reply! That does make me feel a little better.

These bumps have been there for at least nine months and they have barely changed in shape at all. That makes me feel more confident that it might not be anything. But, the color has me concerned. At the very least, if it is melanoma, I caught it very early.

Thanks!

Janis B.
                  Participant

Angela, I have had several scares related to suspicious bumps inside scar tissue (I've had two WLE's in the same place, on my right forearm).  Each time, it turned out to be stitches that did not dissolve or were not removed following surgery (and I have a really GREAT surgeon – hate to think what might have been left behind with a poor surgeon:)  Anyway, I hope this gives you some encouragement and relieves some of your fears.  Like most of us, I go on living my life as fully as possible one day at a time, but when something pops up (literally), the fear returns with a vengeance, so I understand what you're going through.

Praying for you and hoping for the very best.

Janis

Stage IIIC  NED since 11/10

brethlady
                    Participant

Hi Angela ..  I'm new to this website but saw your post.  I have something similar going on in my leg where I had surgery.  I've had two surgeries in the same location, the last one in April of this year.  In June, I had a small lump show up in my thigh area.  Went to onc but he didn' t seem too concerned since he couldn't really feel it.  It kept changing size and he insisted that mel doesn't just come and go like that.  Okay …  what do I know!  I'm still freaked out.  Then, since June, I've had three more little lumps show up.  They keep changing size too, sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller.  I think they seem kind of bluish to me, but don't know if it's just my paranoia.  I have been super fatigued since the first one showed up in June though, which has me worried, since that's been a characteristic of my mel the last two times I've had it.  I see my onc in two weeks and I'm hoping he'll schedule a PT scan, or a least a needle biopsy.  Hope yours turn out to be nothing grim.  I can definitely relate to your fear around it.  I worry about mine all the time.  You are in my thoughts and prayers for sure. 

brethlady <3

brethlady
                      Participant

Hi Angela ..  I'm new to this website but saw your post.  I have something similar going on in my leg where I had surgery.  I've had two surgeries in the same location, the last one in April of this year.  In June, I had a small lump show up in my thigh area.  Went to onc but he didn' t seem too concerned since he couldn't really feel it.  It kept changing size and he insisted that mel doesn't just come and go like that.  Okay …  what do I know!  I'm still freaked out.  Then, since June, I've had three more little lumps show up.  They keep changing size too, sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller.  I think they seem kind of bluish to me, but don't know if it's just my paranoia.  I have been super fatigued since the first one showed up in June though, which has me worried, since that's been a characteristic of my mel the last two times I've had it.  I see my onc in two weeks and I'm hoping he'll schedule a PT scan, or a least a needle biopsy.  Hope yours turn out to be nothing grim.  I can definitely relate to your fear around it.  I worry about mine all the time.  You are in my thoughts and prayers for sure. 

brethlady <3

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics