The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

biopsy site

Forums General Melanoma Community biopsy site

Participant
      I am wondering if anyone knows what it means when the flesh that is now exposed due to the biopsy is black. I am waiting for the results to come back in a few days, and I am at a 99% belief that it is going to come back positive for (another) melanoma. But I’m wondering if the black coloring is a tell-tale sign of cancer or not… Can’t seem to find an answer in my online searching…
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bobman
        Participant
          Hi abbeylee,
          I’ve had plenty of biopsies, and a variety of healing responses depending on what type of biopsy was conducted, and where it was located. Many different colors have occurred during the healing process. Back when I used to get shave biopsies, the dermatologist performing those was fond of cauterizing the wound, which made it look black, but since it was cooked skin, that’s why. Personally, I’ve seen red, Brown, dark brown, black, yellow, and pink colors during the healing process. I scrutinize my wounds closely, every one has been unique, but no colors of my healing flesh were indicative of malignancy. I demand punch biopsies now , for a couple of reasons. The healing, and wound care is much easier on me, and I’m a bit paranoid at this stage of the game playing whack-a-mole of catching a bisected lesion. Waiting on results is a tough thing, no doubt. Hang in there, and try not to stress too hard. I’ve had the same certainty on some biopsies, only to be proven wrong by the pathology. I hope this for you as well. Let us know how it goes, and if the wound doesn’t appear to be healing properly, you can always call the doctor to tell them.
          Aloha,
          Bob
            Johnjk04
            Participant
              Bob – terrific answer. Thank you for sharing this helpful information with abbylee.
              abbylee77
              Participant
                Thanks! I have always had shave or scoop biopsies. A doctor I saw awhile ago was also keen on cauterizing which to me looked like the end of a half eaten breakfast sausage link… This biopsy is just the shave and some of the area is a normal white/fleshy color, with the dark area in the middle where the actual mole was. I actually work for my dermatologist in reception so I can easily have them check for infection or anything weird and I’ll get my results Wednesday, I was just wondering if there is a way to tell just by looking. I have had 30+ moles/spots removed in my life so far and only 2 have been melanoma, not counting the 6 I’m waiting to hear back on. I am going to ask for a referral for a CT scan to check my entire body before the year is over.

I will keep you updated! Thanks for your response!

sks2019
              Participant
                Any insights for the mucosal linings ? My mom was diagnosed with Vaginal melanoma in Oct 2018 . Her PEt in august for the groin area was clean , she just saw a gyn who examined her and said she sees some discoloration which could be melanoma, I am wondering if this is something new developing or this has always been there .
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics