The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy results… Help

Forums General Melanoma Community Biopsy results… Help

Participant

Hello all

I recently had an excisional biopsy on my forearm for a pink lesion (5mm diametre)… I had (perhaps stupidly) used a few topical treatments in a vain hope of eradicating it beforehand, whilst waiting for appointments. So at the time of excisional biopsy it was inflamed, and slightly sore.

Fast forward: Excisional biopsy was 1 month ago… I was told that results would be around 2 weeks (I am in UK). 

At the 2 week mark, I was informed that HALF the histology report was in, with various queries for the doctor… And although my dermatologist was unable to give me a report, she said that I should not worry about it (she had obviously seen the 1st half of report)…

So 2 weeks later, and various nuisance calls to the dermatologists office, nothing has come back yet??.

The dermatologists secretary, explained that sometimes biopsies go back for further staining, for further information etc… but that obviously she was unable to comment, but to listen to the dermatlogist and to not worry.

Easier said than done.

Surely if it was 'nothing' it would be back by now??

Why only half a report?? The secretary did say that this happens sometimes… Although, I never know when I am being fobbed off!

Anyone else only get half a report??

Would appreciate anyone's insight, I tried to take the dermatologists advice, but I'm feeling uneasy, as she initially told me, the longer a report takes the more worrying it is, as the pathology/histology get checked for a 2nd and 3rd time, for definitive diagnosis. This is how it works apparently here in UK…

Many thanks

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        sister of patient
        Participant

Hi –  Don't know if this is helpful but take solace in the fact that they are being thorough!!!

I know it is hard to wait while you're anxious! I once had a needle biopsy for a small mass in the right breast and it was more than two months before I got the word it was not cancer. The sample was ultimately tested and stained by three different labs as the first two results were inconclusive. As time went on, I just kept telling myself that this could not be cancer and the longer it took, the less I worried. Wishing you the best!

Barb

wildpoppy
            Participant

Thank you Barb, I am so glad yours turned out to be nothing, what a relief 🙂 Yes, I guess they are being thorough, at least I hope so… Its so traumatising… I have tried to stay off Google, tried to forget… But as my Dem said that the longer you wait, the more worrying, I guess, panic is now setting in… I can't believe you waited 2 months? Is that UK? Or US? I'm also anxious as half the biopsy came in… 

Its nearly Christmas too, I am SO hoping and praying for good news, I'm an anxious person by nature, and this is now taking its toll…

But thank you so much for replying, sincerey, its good to see that a long time can in some instances be a good thing…

Thanks again

sister of patient
              Participant

Hi WildPoppy – You are most welcome!!  I'm in Canada, so, a similar healthcare system to the UK. I don't think an over-burdened system was the cause of the wait though – just the time it took to send out and then receive results, send out again, etc. It was this time of year too so I suppose holidays came into play with labs. I was just thankful they kept testing until they received a definitive result.

As you say, it is nearly Christmas. Hopefully, you can put this out of your mind for a bit and really get into and enjoy the holiday season – maybe concentrating on the little things >> baking, decorating, wrapping gifts, will help to put your head in "another place."

For us, this will be the first Christmas in 4 where cancer's shadow will not be present. With no definitive results yet, please don't let the worry be part of yours!!

Wishing you totally clear results and a very happy and healthy holiday season and new year!!!

🙂

wildpoppy
                Participant

Thank you for such kind lovely words <3 Funnily enough I have a Christmas Cake baking in in the oven as we speak!! I suppose I hadn't factored in the Christmas thing, for the labs, I suppose it could get busy? I didn't realise Canada had a similar system to UK, it can get frustrating sometimes.

As you say, its best that they keep testing for definitive results… I just found it strange that half came through? I am hoping that there was something in that half report that my Dermatologist read, for her to say ' don't worry about it'… Fingers crossed! 

I am so happy to hear that its the 1st Christmas in 4 where you are not in cancer's shadow… I saw that you are a sisyter of a patient, so I hope and pray that your sister is well and happy. 

Again, thank you so much for replying, it means a lot, especially when there is a voice taunting you all day in your head… My husband provides no emotional support at all, so I am on my own with this… Trying to keep happy for my children…

Thank you, and may you have a WONDERFUL Christmas, and fantastic New Year, many hugs

Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics