The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy on heel of foot?

Forums General Melanoma Community Biopsy on heel of foot?

Participant

Hi everyone,

I posted recently about my son's mystery bump on his forehead. They think it's a cyst (can be felt under the skin) but will remove if it doesn't resolve. The new dark spot on his heel (about 1mm) she thinks looks atypical with dermatoscope so we will remove. She said a punch biopsy on the heel would be difficult and recommened a "scoop"… thoughts on this? This is for my 9 year old son. I'm normally adamant about punches, but I can see how it would be hard to keep together on his heel. She thinks atypical, not mel, but of course one never knows! Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

There is a time and place for all biopsy methods and depending upon anatomy, a scoop may be the best choice.  I prefer punches, too, but I would consider a scoop if that made the most sense given the anatomy.  I'd say it would be unlikely to be melanoma, too, so would go with the scoop.  That will be inconvenient enough to get healed.

Treadlightly
            Participant

My heel biopsy was not a punch, but my doctor didn't describe it as a "scoop." He used a scalpel and carved out a sliver of tissue. My brown spot was much larger than your son's though and my doctor felt he wouldn't be able to get the entire spot out and still be able to close it. As it was, the stitches he put in didn't really close it the way you would hope, but it minimized the size of the wound which helped it to heal more quickly. 

I hope it doesn't turn out to be melanoma. But if it does, it sounds like you are catching it very early. 

In my case, I noticed a brown irregular blotch on my heel while in the shower, and just assumed I had stepped in grease somehow. It didn't wash off, but was much less evident when it was dry. I think this is because the layers of epidermis covering it were more translucent when wet. My lesion was never raised or ulcerated, just an irregular stip of brown the color of coffee (with cream) about the size and shape of a piece of Dentyne gum. My doctor was able to get about 3/4 of it with his biopsy excision.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Mark from California

Treadlightly
              Participant

My heel biopsy was not a punch, but my doctor didn't describe it as a "scoop." He used a scalpel and carved out a sliver of tissue. My brown spot was much larger than your son's though and my doctor felt he wouldn't be able to get the entire spot out and still be able to close it. As it was, the stitches he put in didn't really close it the way you would hope, but it minimized the size of the wound which helped it to heal more quickly. 

I hope it doesn't turn out to be melanoma. But if it does, it sounds like you are catching it very early. 

In my case, I noticed a brown irregular blotch on my heel while in the shower, and just assumed I had stepped in grease somehow. It didn't wash off, but was much less evident when it was dry. I think this is because the layers of epidermis covering it were more translucent when wet. My lesion was never raised or ulcerated, just an irregular stip of brown the color of coffee (with cream) about the size and shape of a piece of Dentyne gum. My doctor was able to get about 3/4 of it with his biopsy excision.

Mark from California

Treadlightly
                Participant

Mark from California

Janner
                Participant

There is a time and place for all biopsy methods and depending upon anatomy, a scoop may be the best choice.  I prefer punches, too, but I would consider a scoop if that made the most sense given the anatomy.  I'd say it would be unlikely to be melanoma, too, so would go with the scoop.  That will be inconvenient enough to get healed.

Janner
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics