The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy – Now Worried

Forums General Melanoma Community Biopsy – Now Worried

Participant

Hi everybody:

I'm new here.  Here is a little background.  I am 27 years old, male, Asian.  I have been sunburnt before.  More importantly, I got sunburnt a lot in high school (I used to live near the beach) to the point my skin started to peel.  I have no history of skin cancer or melanoma.  I had no issues with it until now. 

Recently, I checked my already-existing mole (I think it is a mole).  I had it for a couple years (maybe 2 years).  It does not look like a mole.  It is circular with no middle (the middle is a normal skin patch).  There are no ABCDE signs.  What caught my eye was that it became darker.  Nothing changd about it, but it did grow darker.  Thus, the doctor wanted me to get a biopsy, which I did this morning.

I did go out to the sun last month.  One, in Las Vegas (swam outside for maybe an hour).  Second, July 4th (where I swam in the ocean for about an hour).  Would this make this scab/mole-looking thing darker?  Should I be worried?  The original color was a light brown.  Now it is a darker brown.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Waiting for biopsy results is no fun, we fully understand the anxiety there.

Yes, moles and freckles and most skin spots can get darker from sun exposure. It is good you've gotten this mole biopsied, but there is a very good chance that it is not melanoma. Not much you can do now except wait for the results. Try not to focus on the fact that you've been in the sun a lot… a lot of people can be lifelong sun worshipers and never get any form of skin cancer… (my mom is a big example)…. and others can never have had a bad sunburn and always have been super careful not to get too much sun and end up with melanoma (that would be me). 

Try and not think too hard about this, wishing for nothing but good results for you.

asdff12344
            Participant

Thank you very much for your reply and your wishes.  It makes me feel a lot better.  I will try not to think a lot about it, but that is hard to do.  Good luck to you too, and I also wish nothing but good results for you too.

asdff12344
              Participant

Thank you very much for your reply and your wishes.  It makes me feel a lot better.  I will try not to think a lot about it, but that is hard to do.  Good luck to you too, and I also wish nothing but good results for you too.

asdff12344
                Participant

jennunicorn
                Participant

Yes, moles and freckles and most skin spots can get darker from sun exposure. It is good you've gotten this mole biopsied, but there is a very good chance that it is not melanoma. Not much you can do now except wait for the results. Try not to focus on the fact that you've been in the sun a lot… a lot of people can be lifelong sun worshipers and never get any form of skin cancer… (my mom is a big example)…. and others can never have had a bad sunburn and always have been super careful not to get too much sun and end up with melanoma (that would be me). 

Try and not think too hard about this, wishing for nothing but good results for you.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

asdff12344
                    Participant

Hello everybody:

Fortunately, the mole was not cancerous.  However, it was extemely atypical.  If I waited a couple years it could have become cancerous.  So I was lucky I got it off early.  I just had the roots taken out.  It should be fine now.

thank you everybody and I hope everything works out for everybody here.

asdff12344
                      Participant

Hello everybody:

Fortunately, the mole was not cancerous.  However, it was extemely atypical.  If I waited a couple years it could have become cancerous.  So I was lucky I got it off early.  I just had the roots taken out.  It should be fine now.

asdff12344
                        Participant

Hello everybody:

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics