The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy

Participant

I had the mole on my back removed yesterday at the University of Chicago, and it is being biopsied.  The doctor thinks it's one mole, rather than two, because she could see scar tissue, from the excision ten years' ago, separating the two "halves."  The mole measured 7mm long, by 3.5 mm wide.  The doctor performed a shave biopsy, because it was the only way she could get the mole in one piece, and she wanted to preserve it in one piece for pathology.  She said that sometimes moles grow back, where they have previously been removed, and they look like melanoma, but they aren't.  The only way to tell is microscopically.  Finally, she said that I would receive a call regarding the pathalogy report within 2 days to two weeks.  My impression is that the longer it takes, the more likely that it's melanoma, because they perform additional tests. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        stars
        Participant

Diana – glad you had the biopsy done. Like your dr said, there's a good chance that this is nothing at all. Re pathology: I've found that you get bad news much quicker than good. I've found out within 2 days each time my pathology showed melanoma, whereas 'clear' pathology has taken five. My clinic seems to prioritise bad/urgent cases. Good luck and I hope the waiting is not too long or hard.

DianaD
            Participant

Thank you, Stars.  That's interesting about getting bad news quickly.  

DianaD
              Participant

DianaD
                Participant

stars
                Participant

Diana – glad you had the biopsy done. Like your dr said, there's a good chance that this is nothing at all. Re pathology: I've found that you get bad news much quicker than good. I've found out within 2 days each time my pathology showed melanoma, whereas 'clear' pathology has taken five. My clinic seems to prioritise bad/urgent cases. Good luck and I hope the waiting is not too long or hard.

stars
                  Participant

ldub
                    Participant

I got my results (melanoma) from a shave biopsy back within one week.

DianaD
                        Participant

Ugh.  That's a long time to wait. 

DianaD
                          Participant

DianaD
                            Participant

ldub
                            Participant

ldub
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics