The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biochemo Experience

Forums General Melanoma Community Biochemo Experience

Participant
      My brother John has just completed his 4th round of biochemo, so far (everything crossed) he has a good response to the treatment. He has developed vitiligo and experienced the usual side effects once he is home. My question to all those who have been through the treatment, is whether it is normal to have such a variation in the side effects during the treatment? Treatment one was tough, treatment two was a bit better, treatment three was loads better but treatment four was really tough again. Is this normal?

My brother John has just completed his 4th round of biochemo, so far (everything crossed) he has a good response to the treatment. He has developed vitiligo and experienced the usual side effects once he is home. My question to all those who have been through the treatment, is whether it is normal to have such a variation in the side effects during the treatment? Treatment one was tough, treatment two was a bit better, treatment three was loads better but treatment four was really tough again. Is this normal?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          I don’t think there really is a “normal” reaction when it comes to melanoma treatment, especially a very difficult one like biochemo. Everyone bodies and what they can tolerate are so different. But, its cumulative, especially the cisplatin, so I think Phil felt a like worse after his last two rounds. However, I learned never to read too much into how he was recuperating after each individual treatment, they set our goal at six rounds and he made. Just take one day at a time, when he isn’t felling well, let him get plenty of rest. Phil slept a lot, which was good for him. God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
            squirrell68
            Participant
              Thank you Valerie, I think your advice makes sense, you can get hung up on what you read and then you end up worrying if it doesn’t match. I also think we need to encourage John to rest, he pushes himself hard and then gets down because he is so exhausted. All the best Tracey
              squirrell68
              Participant
                Thank you Valerie, I think your advice makes sense, you can get hung up on what you read and then you end up worrying if it doesn’t match. I also think we need to encourage John to rest, he pushes himself hard and then gets down because he is so exhausted. All the best Tracey
                squirrell68
                Participant
                Phil S
                Participant
                  I don’t think there really is a “normal” reaction when it comes to melanoma treatment, especially a very difficult one like biochemo. Everyone bodies and what they can tolerate are so different. But, its cumulative, especially the cisplatin, so I think Phil felt a like worse after his last two rounds. However, I learned never to read too much into how he was recuperating after each individual treatment, they set our goal at six rounds and he made. Just take one day at a time, when he isn’t felling well, let him get plenty of rest. Phil slept a lot, which was good for him. God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                  Phil S
                  Participant
                Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics