The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bio-Chemo out of favor

Forums General Melanoma Community Bio-Chemo out of favor

Participant

Hi, I have noticed a few references to bio-chemo for Stage IIIC in particular.  Could be just one person here but the oncs we have talked with say that treatment was used more in the early 2000's and is now not really recommended.  One big reason is toxicity. 

I would be interested to hear what others think about bio-chemo.

Thanks!

Julie

husband stage IIIC

Hi, I have noticed a few references to bio-chemo for Stage IIIC in particular.  Could be just one person here but the oncs we have talked with say that treatment was used more in the early 2000's and is now not really recommended.  One big reason is toxicity. 

I would be interested to hear what others think about bio-chemo.

Thanks!

Julie

husband stage IIIC

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Hi Julie,

Here is an link to a incredible woman who has done bio-chemo,

perhaps you may want to contact her for more info?

Best wishes to you and your husband!

Best Wishes,

Gene

see:  http://melanomamom.blogspot.com/

Gene_S
          Participant

Hi Julie,

Best Wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
            Participant

Hi Julie,

Best Wishes,

Gene

Phil S
              Participant
                Biochemo is regularly done at MD Anderson, and I am in my husband’s hospital room right now as he finishes his last day of biochemo for this cycle. You need trained nurses and doctors who understand biochemo and all the side effects to administer it correctly. MD Anderson has a whole floor of patient rooms that are just for biochemo or high dose IL2. My husband’s side effects have been very well managed and so far so good. Will it help him, only time will tell, but since his tumors were growing fast, we decided against yervoy at this time, hoping biochemo can slow things down! Some people on this floor have had success with tumor reduction, but it’s like anything else with melanoma, no guarantees! My husband is Stage IV so we decided to take the risk! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                Phil S
                Participant
                  Biochemo is regularly done at MD Anderson, and I am in my husband’s hospital room right now as he finishes his last day of biochemo for this cycle. You need trained nurses and doctors who understand biochemo and all the side effects to administer it correctly. MD Anderson has a whole floor of patient rooms that are just for biochemo or high dose IL2. My husband’s side effects have been very well managed and so far so good. Will it help him, only time will tell, but since his tumors were growing fast, we decided against yervoy at this time, hoping biochemo can slow things down! Some people on this floor have had success with tumor reduction, but it’s like anything else with melanoma, no guarantees! My husband is Stage IV so we decided to take the risk! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                  Phil S
                  Participant
                    KevinM
                    Participant

Hi Julie,

I did bio-chemo over 5 years ago in a clinical trial at Beth Israel in Boston. The trial compared bio-chemo vs the standard 1 year interferon treatment for stage 3 patients as an adjuvant therapy. The trial closed a few years back (I'm not sure of actual close date).

Bio-chemo is very toxic and expensive. From what I have gathered, there was no real difference statistically in survival. I have been NED for over 5 years now. I'm not sure if it was due to bio-chemo or if I would be NED without treatment…… Having said that, I am glad I did the treatment and would do it  again if I had to.

please contact me if you'd like more info on my experiences

Thanks,

Kevin

[email protected]

KevinM
                      Participant

Hi Julie,

I did bio-chemo over 5 years ago in a clinical trial at Beth Israel in Boston. The trial compared bio-chemo vs the standard 1 year interferon treatment for stage 3 patients as an adjuvant therapy. The trial closed a few years back (I'm not sure of actual close date).

Bio-chemo is very toxic and expensive. From what I have gathered, there was no real difference statistically in survival. I have been NED for over 5 years now. I'm not sure if it was due to bio-chemo or if I would be NED without treatment…… Having said that, I am glad I did the treatment and would do it  again if I had to.

Thanks,

Kevin

[email protected]

KevinM
                        Participant

Hi Julie,

Thanks,

Kevin

[email protected]

RMcLegal
                          Participant

Hi Julie, I did biochemo in 2003 at the University of Colorado Cancer Center after a Stage IIIc diagnosis (14 malignant nodes removed) and I'm healthy and NED.  Like M.D. Anderson, UCCC is still doing biochemo because the docs there are convinced they are seeing significantly better results than with interferon alone.  UCCC was part of a multi-center study of biochemo that resulted in a paper being published in '06 or '07.  (If you google "Karl Lewis M.D. and biochemotherapy", you'll find a link to the article.)  It's rough stuff, but I'd do it again.  I had a very experienced team of doctors and nurses who knew how to manage the side effects, and was pretty heavily sedated during the hospital stays– probably a rougher time on my wife than me.  And 8 years later, they're probably better at managing the toxicity of the treatment than they were in 2003.

Best wishes to you.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

RMcLegal
                            Participant

Hi Julie, I did biochemo in 2003 at the University of Colorado Cancer Center after a Stage IIIc diagnosis (14 malignant nodes removed) and I'm healthy and NED.  Like M.D. Anderson, UCCC is still doing biochemo because the docs there are convinced they are seeing significantly better results than with interferon alone.  UCCC was part of a multi-center study of biochemo that resulted in a paper being published in '06 or '07.  (If you google "Karl Lewis M.D. and biochemotherapy", you'll find a link to the article.)  It's rough stuff, but I'd do it again.  I had a very experienced team of doctors and nurses who knew how to manage the side effects, and was pretty heavily sedated during the hospital stays– probably a rougher time on my wife than me.  And 8 years later, they're probably better at managing the toxicity of the treatment than they were in 2003.

Best wishes to you.

Rich

RMcLegal
                              Participant

Best wishes to you.

Rich

BrianP
                                Participant

Hey Julie,

I don't have much to add other than to tell you that I have also recently joined the IIIc club and have received the same opinion about bio-chem from the oncologists I have spoken with.  Most say that they wouldn't go that route due to the toxicity.  I personally wouldn't care about the toxicity if I had proof that it could make a difference.  Thanks for starting this thread.  I've been wondering the same thing.

Brian

BrianP
                                  Participant

Hey Julie,

I don't have much to add other than to tell you that I have also recently joined the IIIc club and have received the same opinion about bio-chem from the oncologists I have spoken with.  Most say that they wouldn't go that route due to the toxicity.  I personally wouldn't care about the toxicity if I had proof that it could make a difference.  Thanks for starting this thread.  I've been wondering the same thing.

Brian

BrianP
                                    Participant

Hey Julie,

Brian

RMcLegal
                                      Participant

Here's a link to an article on a study of biochemo for Stage III patients:

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/24/19/3157.full 

Rich

NYKaren
                                          Participant

Hi Julie,

I'm going back to Yale-New Haven on Tuesday to finish up my IL-2 treatment.  Being Stage IIIc, having done radiation and Ipi, and being braf negative, I made the decision in favor of IL-2 based on the fact that I wanted to do it while I was still healthy enough.

I trust my docs (Jedd Wolchuck @ Sloan & Mario Sznol @ Yale) who work in conjuction on my care.

I know I've had some response to it, so even it's only partial, I hope it will hold me until something better comes along. and who knows, I might be one of the lucky ones!

The side effects are rough but maneagable.

take care,

karen

NYKaren
                                            Participant

Hi Julie,

I'm going back to Yale-New Haven on Tuesday to finish up my IL-2 treatment.  Being Stage IIIc, having done radiation and Ipi, and being braf negative, I made the decision in favor of IL-2 based on the fact that I wanted to do it while I was still healthy enough.

I trust my docs (Jedd Wolchuck @ Sloan & Mario Sznol @ Yale) who work in conjuction on my care.

I know I've had some response to it, so even it's only partial, I hope it will hold me until something better comes along. and who knows, I might be one of the lucky ones!

take care,

karen

NYKaren
                                              Participant

Hi Julie,

take care,

karen

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

Sounding good, Gal.

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant

Sounding good, Gal.

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

Sounding good, Gal.

NYKaren
                                                      Participant

Thanks, Jerry.  Gearing up to go back Tuesday.  It's always nerve-wracking knowing what I'm in for.  Remember that '70's song (or was it the '80's) I will Survive by Gloria Gaynor.  Always thought hat song was annoying, but it's my theme song now!

be well,

karen

NYKaren
                                                        Participant

Thanks, Jerry.  Gearing up to go back Tuesday.  It's always nerve-wracking knowing what I'm in for.  Remember that '70's song (or was it the '80's) I will Survive by Gloria Gaynor.  Always thought hat song was annoying, but it's my theme song now!

be well,

karen

NYKaren
                                                          Participant

be well,

karen

RMcLegal
                                                          Participant

Rich

RMcLegal
                                                            Participant

Rich

SuzannefromCA
                                                              Participant

Hi Julie,

I was not at stage III, but stage IV. I did 18 months of Biochemo and IL-2. That was the ONLY treatment option I was given. It saved my life! I was diagnosed back in November of 2006 and I was only given 6 to 9 months to live if I did not choose to do this. As you have read from the other posts, it's extremely toxic. I was 46 and in otherwise good health. I would do this again in a heartbeat! Please keep us posted.

Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                                                                Participant

Hi Julie,

I was not at stage III, but stage IV. I did 18 months of Biochemo and IL-2. That was the ONLY treatment option I was given. It saved my life! I was diagnosed back in November of 2006 and I was only given 6 to 9 months to live if I did not choose to do this. As you have read from the other posts, it's extremely toxic. I was 46 and in otherwise good health. I would do this again in a heartbeat! Please keep us posted.

Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                                                                  Participant

Hi Julie,

Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                                                                    Participant

Hi Julie,

Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                                                                      Participant

Hi Julie,

Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                                                                        Participant

Hi Julie,

Suzanne

jag
                                                                          Participant

I don't even remember when I did biochemo, it was a while back.  If you look through my patnet, you will see it didn't eliminate melanoma 100% but it did stop it in it's tracks.  Sloan Kettering no longer does biochemo which doesn't mean it doesn't work.  I was on the bone marrow floor for a couple of months, the key thing is to research the protocol and find somebody who has done a lot of it.  The right place and protocol really will make every little bit count.  Aweful to go through, but if I had to do it all over again, I would not hesitate.   Surgery is always the best strategy for removable tumors.  Biochemo was my treatment of choice because things became systemic.  Should your husband progress, it is always good to have options on the table.  I took the same approach as KarenNY, to tough out the hard treatments early on(before my body became too weak to take on the other ones)

In the meantime, I would look into a trial that includes melanoma vaccines rather than interferon.  They haven't been proven to benefit anybody, but I definitely believe my long term survival may be related to my immune system being primed by a melanoma vaccine, and then getting systemic immunotherapy.

NYKaren
                                                                              Participant

Hi Jag,

I see we share the same doctor!  Sloan no longer does biochemo, but refers its patients to Dr. Sznol and team at Yale/New Haven.  Apparently those guys collaborate on a lot–I know they're both doing the Curetech Anti PD-1 trial.  Interestingly, other hospitals closer to NYC do it, NY Presby for one, but the prefer the protocol/nursing at Yale.  Those nurses are really terrific!

take care,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                Participant

Hi Jag,

I see we share the same doctor!  Sloan no longer does biochemo, but refers its patients to Dr. Sznol and team at Yale/New Haven.  Apparently those guys collaborate on a lot–I know they're both doing the Curetech Anti PD-1 trial.  Interestingly, other hospitals closer to NYC do it, NY Presby for one, but the prefer the protocol/nursing at Yale.  Those nurses are really terrific!

take care,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Jag,

take care,

karen

jag
                                                                                  Participant

I don't even remember when I did biochemo, it was a while back.  If you look through my patnet, you will see it didn't eliminate melanoma 100% but it did stop it in it's tracks.  Sloan Kettering no longer does biochemo which doesn't mean it doesn't work.  I was on the bone marrow floor for a couple of months, the key thing is to research the protocol and find somebody who has done a lot of it.  The right place and protocol really will make every little bit count.  Aweful to go through, but if I had to do it all over again, I would not hesitate.   Surgery is always the best strategy for removable tumors.  Biochemo was my treatment of choice because things became systemic.  Should your husband progress, it is always good to have options on the table.  I took the same approach as KarenNY, to tough out the hard treatments early on(before my body became too weak to take on the other ones)

In the meantime, I would look into a trial that includes melanoma vaccines rather than interferon.  They haven't been proven to benefit anybody, but I definitely believe my long term survival may be related to my immune system being primed by a melanoma vaccine, and then getting systemic immunotherapy.

jag
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics