The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Big day tomorrow for me…

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Big day tomorrow for me…

Participant

I had my excision done on Nov 4th. Stitches come off tomorrow at 8:15am EST and my plastic surgeon will let me know if my margins were clear (is that what it's called?). I'm hoping and praying. The only thing keeping me from going insane is that my tumour was kinda small. On the Breslow scale, it was 0.39mm and very slow growing.

I had my excision done on Nov 4th. Stitches come off tomorrow at 8:15am EST and my plastic surgeon will let me know if my margins were clear (is that what it's called?). I'm hoping and praying. The only thing keeping me from going insane is that my tumour was kinda small. On the Breslow scale, it was 0.39mm and very slow growing.

I have to say that this has been ONE HECKUVA journey. From thinking "Melanoma? C'mon!! Not me…I am not a sun worshipper!" to "Melanoma? What the hell are you talking about??? You must be joking!!! How the f**k did I get melanoma???".

In my opinion, skin cancer in general is promoted as being caused by the sun so whoever doesn't sit and bake for hours on end is basically immune to this crap (pardon my language).  At least that's what I thought. Boy was I wrong. I guess it's like any other shitty (excuse my language again) cancer or disease…how many people die from lung cancer that never smoked a day in their life…how many people die from cardiac arrest even though they took care of their bodies, ate well, and exercised on a regular basis…how many people die from liver disease yet were not alcoholics…

What really grinds my gears is that it is so easily treated if caught early yet so many people ignore that "ugly duckling" mole…or like me, didn't even know the damn thing was there. Us women are always told to check for lumps in our boobs as soon as we hit our mid-twenties and to make sure we get our Pap smears done once yearly as soon as we begin having sex yet no one bothers to tell us to check our beauty marks/moles. Men are told to get their prostates checked as soon as they hit 40…no one bothers to tell them to check their beauty marks/moles.

Everyone is told to monitor their blood pressure. Everyone is told to eat healthy and exercise regularly. Don't smoke. Don't drink. Eat organic. Yet we are NOT told to always keep a watchful eye on the largest organ we own. We make sure we pluck it, wax it, shave it, laser it, Botox it, liposuction it, moisturize it. Meanwhile, a tiny little abnormal mole will throw a monkey wrench into our lives and send us on a journey that we really never thought we'd ever have to face. At least I never thought so.

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        Wendi Lynn
        Participant

Thinking good thoughts for you tomorrow!  Hope all goes perfect!

Wendi

Wendi Lynn
          Participant

Thinking good thoughts for you tomorrow!  Hope all goes perfect!

Wendi

triciad
            Participant

Good luck tomorrow.  I'm praying for you!

triciad
              Participant

Good luck tomorrow.  I'm praying for you!

dian in spokane
                Participant

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

dian

Melanoma Mom
                    Participant

Good luck! We find out of 14 year old son's staging and treatment options tomorrow. Hoping for some good news for both of us!

Melanoma Mom
                      Participant

Good luck! We find out of 14 year old son's staging and treatment options tomorrow. Hoping for some good news for both of us!

dian in spokane
                      Participant

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

dian

Dynasysman
                        Participant
                          Let’s all of us who get results tomorrow take deep breaths and share good thoughts…I’ll be thinking about you.
                          Dynasysman
                          Participant
                            Let’s all of us who get results tomorrow take deep breaths and share good thoughts…I’ll be thinking about you.
                            Suzan AB
                            Participant

Good Luck Mary…Seriously….waiting sucks!  Good luck to all of us who are waiting.

My best to all,

Suzan AB

Stage IV

Suzan AB
                              Participant

Good Luck Mary…Seriously….waiting sucks!  Good luck to all of us who are waiting.

My best to all,

Suzan AB

Stage IV

kellie1979
                                Participant

Mary,

I thought the same thing when I found out last week that I have Melanoma…..I dont spend alot of time in the sun..it never worked well for me.  I have two colors white and red, no tan!  I have learned that mine is from a genetic disorder (dysplastic nevi syndrome).  In the last month I have had 12 moles removed.  The first two sessions resulted in 8 being removed all but one came back as dysplastic nevi….that one was melanoma.  I switched doctors after my diagnosis and she removed 4 more tuesday.  I am scheduled for my surgery on the 30th (they are waiting for my biopsy results to come back so they can do all necessary surgeries at once).   This waiting absolutely SUCKS!!  The other thing that I find sucks is people thinking that Melanoma is no big deal.  I have found that many people think that all skin cancer is harmless and all you have to do is have the mole removed and go on with your life.  It has gotten a little tiring when I am stressed and worried having to explain to most people what Melanoma really is, and that it is a big deal! 

I am glad to see that everything came back well for you, I am hoping for the same news!

Kellie

MaryMary73
                                    Participant

Hi Kellie,

Yes, the waiting part is absolutely horrific. Not knowing is worse than knowing, in my opinion. And you are right, to most people, melanoma means having a mole that needs to be removed and that's where it ends. See, that's the problem with skin cancer. No one understands how deadly this disease is because everyone is focused on breast cancer and colon cancer. I mean, to have ANY cancer is absolutely terrible but I hate that people pass of melanoma like it's no big deal. Oh well.

For me, all I needed was surgery to remove some of the healthy skin where the mole used to be. If that is what you are being told then chances are, that is all that will need to be done. So try not to worry too much. I know that is easier said than done but please try. My prayers are with you.

MaryMary73
                                      Participant

Hi Kellie,

Yes, the waiting part is absolutely horrific. Not knowing is worse than knowing, in my opinion. And you are right, to most people, melanoma means having a mole that needs to be removed and that's where it ends. See, that's the problem with skin cancer. No one understands how deadly this disease is because everyone is focused on breast cancer and colon cancer. I mean, to have ANY cancer is absolutely terrible but I hate that people pass of melanoma like it's no big deal. Oh well.

For me, all I needed was surgery to remove some of the healthy skin where the mole used to be. If that is what you are being told then chances are, that is all that will need to be done. So try not to worry too much. I know that is easier said than done but please try. My prayers are with you.

MaryMary73
                                        Participant

Hi Kellie,

MaryMary73
                                          Participant

Hi Kellie,

kellie1979
                                          Participant

Mary,

I thought the same thing when I found out last week that I have Melanoma…..I dont spend alot of time in the sun..it never worked well for me.  I have two colors white and red, no tan!  I have learned that mine is from a genetic disorder (dysplastic nevi syndrome).  In the last month I have had 12 moles removed.  The first two sessions resulted in 8 being removed all but one came back as dysplastic nevi….that one was melanoma.  I switched doctors after my diagnosis and she removed 4 more tuesday.  I am scheduled for my surgery on the 30th (they are waiting for my biopsy results to come back so they can do all necessary surgeries at once).   This waiting absolutely SUCKS!!  The other thing that I find sucks is people thinking that Melanoma is no big deal.  I have found that many people think that all skin cancer is harmless and all you have to do is have the mole removed and go on with your life.  It has gotten a little tiring when I am stressed and worried having to explain to most people what Melanoma really is, and that it is a big deal! 

I am glad to see that everything came back well for you, I am hoping for the same news!

Kellie

glewis923
                                            Participant

my sentiments exactly.  I never worshipped sun either- just had a lot of moles- and some went "rouge".  Shit just happens, unfortunately.

glewis923
                                              Participant

my sentiments exactly.  I never worshipped sun either- just had a lot of moles- and some went "rouge".  Shit just happens, unfortunately.

LynnLuc
                                                Participant

If the margins are not clear, they will just go back and do it again…remember it doesn't mean it won't come back again..always be proactive and continue with regular check ups…I was told 3 times they got it all…until years later it showed up by my heart as stage 4.

LynnLuc
                                                  Participant

If the margins are not clear, they will just go back and do it again…remember it doesn't mean it won't come back again..always be proactive and continue with regular check ups…I was told 3 times they got it all…until years later it showed up by my heart as stage 4.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics