The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

best treatment for liver mets

Forums General Melanoma Community best treatment for liver mets

Participant

I have some new liver mets and was wondering what are the most effective treatments for liver mets.  I do not think they are good candidates for surgical removal, it is more multiple areas of uptake spread throughout the liver.

Any ideas?

I have some new liver mets and was wondering what are the most effective treatments for liver mets.  I do not think they are good candidates for surgical removal, it is more multiple areas of uptake spread throughout the liver.

Any ideas?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Delcath is actively enrolling patients in a Phase III clinical trial testing its proprietary drug delivery system, known as Percutaneous Hepatic Perfusion (“PHP”), with melphalan for the treatment of ocular and cutaneous melanoma metastatic to the liver.

This NCI-led trial is enrolling patients at leading cancer centers throughout the United States. Commenting on these orphan-drug designations, Richard L. Taney, President and CEO of Delcath, stated, “These favorable designations are important steps in our efforts to secure Delcath’s commercial position upon conclusion of our pivotal Phase III trial for metastatic melanoma. We remain steadfast in our commitment to become the leader in the regional treatment of liver cancers and we continue to enroll patients in this study, and advance our technology and the promise that it offers to patients with these deadly forms of melanoma and other cancers of the liver, all with limited treatment options.”

Orphan drug designation, when granted by the FDA’s Office of Orphan Products Development, allows for up to seven years of market exclusivity upon FDA approval, as well as clinical study incentives, study design assistance, waivers of certain FDA user fees, and potential tax credits.

Current Trial Centers

Phase I Study of Hepatic Arterial Melphalan Infusion and Hepatic Venous Hemofiltration Using
          Percutaneously Placed Catheters in Patients With Unresectable Hepatic Malignancies

James F. Pingpank, Jr., MD, FACS
          Associate Professor of Surgery
          Division of Surgical Oncology
          Suite 406, UPMC Cancer Pavillion
          5150 Centre Avenue
          Pittsburgh, PA 15232
          412-692-2852 (Office)
          412-692-2520 (Fax)
          [email protected]

Xena
            Participant

I have had multiple systemic treatments and am in search of treatment of liver mets  Checked the clinical trial website and there are no open trials.  Contacted Delcath directly and confirmed they have completed their trials and waiting for FDA (the black hole) approval.  They also said Delcath PHP is not available on a "compassionate" or "expanded use" basis.

If anyone has any other information or suggestions, please let me know.

Xena

Xena
              Participant

I have had multiple systemic treatments and am in search of treatment of liver mets  Checked the clinical trial website and there are no open trials.  Contacted Delcath directly and confirmed they have completed their trials and waiting for FDA (the black hole) approval.  They also said Delcath PHP is not available on a "compassionate" or "expanded use" basis.

If anyone has any other information or suggestions, please let me know.

Xena

jim Breitfeller
              Participant

Delcath is actively enrolling patients in a Phase III clinical trial testing its proprietary drug delivery system, known as Percutaneous Hepatic Perfusion (“PHP”), with melphalan for the treatment of ocular and cutaneous melanoma metastatic to the liver.

This NCI-led trial is enrolling patients at leading cancer centers throughout the United States. Commenting on these orphan-drug designations, Richard L. Taney, President and CEO of Delcath, stated, “These favorable designations are important steps in our efforts to secure Delcath’s commercial position upon conclusion of our pivotal Phase III trial for metastatic melanoma. We remain steadfast in our commitment to become the leader in the regional treatment of liver cancers and we continue to enroll patients in this study, and advance our technology and the promise that it offers to patients with these deadly forms of melanoma and other cancers of the liver, all with limited treatment options.”

Orphan drug designation, when granted by the FDA’s Office of Orphan Products Development, allows for up to seven years of market exclusivity upon FDA approval, as well as clinical study incentives, study design assistance, waivers of certain FDA user fees, and potential tax credits.

Current Trial Centers

Phase I Study of Hepatic Arterial Melphalan Infusion and Hepatic Venous Hemofiltration Using
                Percutaneously Placed Catheters in Patients With Unresectable Hepatic Malignancies

James F. Pingpank, Jr., MD, FACS
                Associate Professor of Surgery
                Division of Surgical Oncology
                Suite 406, UPMC Cancer Pavillion
                5150 Centre Avenue
                Pittsburgh, PA 15232
                412-692-2852 (Office)
                412-692-2520 (Fax)
                [email protected]

LynnLuc
                Participant

Have you considered a trial like this? Dose-escalation Study of Combination BMS-936558 (MDX-1106) and Ipilimumab in Subjects With Unresectable Stage III or Stage IV Malignant Melanoma .

http://www.cancer.gov/search/ViewClinicalTrials.aspx?cdrid=661267&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=8709493

MDX-1106 is the Anti-PD-1 and has show great results in kidney cancer and other solid tumors. It is also part of my vaccine trial.

Good luck and blessings!

LynnLuc
                  Participant

Have you considered a trial like this? Dose-escalation Study of Combination BMS-936558 (MDX-1106) and Ipilimumab in Subjects With Unresectable Stage III or Stage IV Malignant Melanoma .

http://www.cancer.gov/search/ViewClinicalTrials.aspx?cdrid=661267&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=8709493

MDX-1106 is the Anti-PD-1 and has show great results in kidney cancer and other solid tumors. It is also part of my vaccine trial.

Good luck and blessings!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics