The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Best Hospital/Doctors for High Risk Monitoring- NYC Area

Forums General Melanoma Community Best Hospital/Doctors for High Risk Monitoring- NYC Area

Participant

I had Melanoma Stage 0 in 2012 so am now at higher risk for melanoma I am told. I also have breast cancer stage 1 and there is a strong link between the two so i want to be monitored by a good doctor in the NYC area so i can hopefully catch any other melanomas at stage 0.

I had Melanoma Stage 0 in 2012 so am now at higher risk for melanoma I am told. I also have breast cancer stage 1 and there is a strong link between the two so i want to be monitored by a good doctor in the NYC area so i can hopefully catch any other melanomas at stage 0.

I am not sure which hospitals are best at monitoring for melanoma high risk patients in the NYC area. I tried getting in to sloan to see a top doc there for monitoring but apparently i do not qualify becuase i only have stage 0. i don't quite understand this because i would think it is important to catch it early, but i don't seem to be able to find doctors who specialize in melanoma who are willing to monitor stage 0 patients. The dermatologist i am seeing does not seem to be the best and does not really specialize in melanoma. In fact, he indicated that the melanoma stage 0 was nothing on several exams until i requested that it be removed and tested.

So far, i have an appointment at molesafe at NYU which i heard is the only one in the nation, but i was wondering if anyone can recommend a doctor/hospital that is considered good for melanoma monitoring high risk patients. Thank you. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        JakeinNY
        Participant

I would recommend going to the Sloan Kettering Skin Cancer Center in Hauppauge on Long Island to have your skin monitored for melanomas or any other skin cancers.

JakeinNY
          Participant

I would recommend going to the Sloan Kettering Skin Cancer Center in Hauppauge on Long Island to have your skin monitored for melanomas or any other skin cancers.

njmom
              Participant

ok thanks jake… i will definitely look into… thank you

njmom
                Participant

njmom
                  Participant

JakeinNY
                  Participant

jag
                    Participant
                      Hands down sloan kettering
                      jag
                      Participant
                        jag
                        Participant
                          Janner
                          Participant

It's not uncommon for an oncologist to refuse to see a stage 0 patient.  The survival rate of nearly 100% means it just doesn't qualify as cancer in their book.  Many oncologists only see stage III and higher.  I think that getting photography done and possibly finding a derm who focuses more on skin cancers would be the way to go.  As for high risk for more melanomas, only about 8% of the melanoma population ever have more than one melanoma primary.  So while it is good to be vigilant and your risk is certainly higher than the general population, it is still relatively low overall.  Watch for CHANGE!

Best wishes,

Janner

NYKaren
                              Participant
                                Since my melanoma is cutaneous, the first doc at Sloan kettering I was seen by (and still do see) is Dr. Allen Halpern, an oncological dermatologist. He is one of the warmest, kindest, most caring individuals I have ever met and of course an excellent doctor.
                                Perhaps you can get a consult with him and if he can’t monitor you, he might be able to recommend a derm well-versed in Melanoma. I was very lucky, my local derm diagnosed the mel -she really knows what to watch for.
                                Good luck–let us know how you make out.
                                Karen
                                NYKaren
                                Participant
                                  Since my melanoma is cutaneous, the first doc at Sloan kettering I was seen by (and still do see) is Dr. Allen Halpern, an oncological dermatologist. He is one of the warmest, kindest, most caring individuals I have ever met and of course an excellent doctor.
                                  Perhaps you can get a consult with him and if he can’t monitor you, he might be able to recommend a derm well-versed in Melanoma. I was very lucky, my local derm diagnosed the mel -she really knows what to watch for.
                                  Karen
                                  NYKaren
                                  Participant
                                    Karen
                                    njmom
                                    Participant

Karen, thank you. believe it or not that is who i tried to get into. he did sound amazing on his bio. i was being treated at sloan for breast cancer stage 1 so i was hoping i could get a consult but i understand that they don't really consider stage 0 to be cancer so he could not see me. i understand that completely. i figured i would try tho. i guess i was just thinking those are the docs that know how to best spot melanoma the best. i have been trying to look everywhere for regular derms who specialize in melanoma detection and can't seem to find many who list that on their bios. i guess it is just a matter of going to a few and seeing how they are. i just haven't had much luck as of yet and i was a little shaken when i was told the premelanoma was absolutely fine on multiple visits only to have it come back as melanoma stage 0. im going to keep looking though. thank you so much. 

kylez
                                      Participant

The melanoma clinic I go to has not just oncologists, but a dermatologist as well (and surgeons). Perhaps many melanoma clinics/centers are like that. My skin checks are done by the dermatologist at the melanoma clinic, NOT my melanoma-specializing oncologist. 

kylez
                                        Participant

The melanoma clinic I go to has not just oncologists, but a dermatologist as well (and surgeons). Perhaps many melanoma clinics/centers are like that. My skin checks are done by the dermatologist at the melanoma clinic, NOT my melanoma-specializing oncologist. 

kylez
                                          Participant

NYKaren
                                            Participant
                                              Where do you live?
                                              NYKaren
                                              Participant
                                                Where do you live?
                                                NYKaren
                                                Participant
                                                  Sorry, Kyle,
                                                  I was asking the original poster where she lives. . Why are so many people named Anonymous? It sure gets confusing.
                                                  NYKaren
                                                  Participant
                                                    Sorry, Kyle,
                                                    I was asking the original poster where she lives. . Why are so many people named Anonymous? It sure gets confusing.
                                                    NYKaren
                                                    Participant
                                                      Sorry, Kyle,
                                                      NYKaren
                                                      Participant
                                                        Where do you live?
                                                        njmom
                                                        Participant

Karen, thank you. believe it or not that is who i tried to get into. he did sound amazing on his bio. i was being treated at sloan for breast cancer stage 1 so i was hoping i could get a consult but i understand that they don't really consider stage 0 to be cancer so he could not see me. i understand that completely. i figured i would try tho. i guess i was just thinking those are the docs that know how to best spot melanoma the best. i have been trying to look everywhere for regular derms who specialize in melanoma detection and can't seem to find many who list that on their bios. i guess it is just a matter of going to a few and seeing how they are. i just haven't had much luck as of yet and i was a little shaken when i was told the premelanoma was absolutely fine on multiple visits only to have it come back as melanoma stage 0. im going to keep looking though. thank you so much. 

njmom
                                                          Participant

NYKaren
                                                            Participant
                                                              Karen
                                                              NYKaren
                                                              Participant
                                                                Karen
                                                                NYKaren
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Karen
                                                                  NYKaren
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Karen
                                                                    NYKaren
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Karen
                                                                      NYKaren
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Karen
                                                                        njmom
                                                                        Participant

Janner, thank you. yes i understand that completely. i knew it was a long shot. it is just hard to find a really good derm. who takes a long time to look, at least in my experience. the one i have currently looks for like 1 minute (literally) and then sends me on my way and he is from a top rated hospital in ny and came highly recommended! i have SO many moles and im trying to look for change, but the stage 0 really didn't look to bad to me. It was pretty small and just a dark brown. Didn't look too out of the ordinary so i guess i worry its hard to even tell.  i didn't know the 8% fact though. that is very interesting. does that still hold true for stage 0 or does that refer to invasives? since i have the stage 1 breast cancer, i guess i am just feeling like my body is a little out of whack so i wanna catch anything on the skin early if i can and there is a possible link between the bc and melanoma so i don't know if that could mean i would fall into the 8% ; /. thank you for the info and i am hoping the risk is very small. thank you. 

Janner
                                                                          Participant

The 8% is for all melanoma patients regardless of stage.  If you have a lot of moles, then getting mole mapping or body photography or whatever is the best way to go.  Then you have an independent eye looking for changes and the imagination doesn't get to play a role.  I've had 3 primaries over 20 years and change was the most important factor for me.  I have baseline pics and they help me stay sane.  Do a search for a cutaneous oncologist — these are derms who specialize in skin cancer – not botox.  My doc is a cutaneous oncologist and probably takes 2-3 minutes to look everywhere (I do not feel slighted).  I do not have a ton of moles, though, and things have been stable a long time for me.  It does take time to get over the shock of a diagnosis- you will find your new normal over time.

Janner
                                                                            Participant

The 8% is for all melanoma patients regardless of stage.  If you have a lot of moles, then getting mole mapping or body photography or whatever is the best way to go.  Then you have an independent eye looking for changes and the imagination doesn't get to play a role.  I've had 3 primaries over 20 years and change was the most important factor for me.  I have baseline pics and they help me stay sane.  Do a search for a cutaneous oncologist — these are derms who specialize in skin cancer – not botox.  My doc is a cutaneous oncologist and probably takes 2-3 minutes to look everywhere (I do not feel slighted).  I do not have a ton of moles, though, and things have been stable a long time for me.  It does take time to get over the shock of a diagnosis- you will find your new normal over time.

Janner
                                                                              Participant

njmom
                                                                                Participant

Dear Janner,

Thank you. Ok, that is good to hear. Hopefully i am not at as high risk as i feel that i am. it may be just the shock of the bc diagnosis and the stage 0 melanoma all within the same year! i am definitely going to do mole mapping though. I am going to start with mole safe at NYU because i think that is just what they do and i will also start searching for a cutaneous oncologist. I must have near 100 moles (big, medium and very tiny) on my legs, arms, back, neck, stomach, etc…and other skin spots (not sure if they are all called moles per se) so I guess it is just a worry when my doc is so speedy. its also hard to find good eye doctors who know how to look for the ocular kind of melanoma. i definitely do self checks and thats how i found the stage 0 and have really been trying to watch for changes. actually though, if i am being honest, my daughter was the one who spotted the mole on my arm and then i was the one who insisted after the third go around that it be tested! 

i guess i was also just wondering if some hospitals were better than others for skin cancers to start my search. i know the top 3 are md anderson, sloan and johns hopkins for cancer in general but i wasn't sure if there is maybe a cancer hospital that is top in the field for skin cancer. i know sometimes it requires insider information to find this stuff out. i really appreciate the info though. thank you very much.

njmom
                                                                                  Participant

Dear Janner,

Thank you. Ok, that is good to hear. Hopefully i am not at as high risk as i feel that i am. it may be just the shock of the bc diagnosis and the stage 0 melanoma all within the same year! i am definitely going to do mole mapping though. I am going to start with mole safe at NYU because i think that is just what they do and i will also start searching for a cutaneous oncologist. I must have near 100 moles (big, medium and very tiny) on my legs, arms, back, neck, stomach, etc…and other skin spots (not sure if they are all called moles per se) so I guess it is just a worry when my doc is so speedy. its also hard to find good eye doctors who know how to look for the ocular kind of melanoma. i definitely do self checks and thats how i found the stage 0 and have really been trying to watch for changes. actually though, if i am being honest, my daughter was the one who spotted the mole on my arm and then i was the one who insisted after the third go around that it be tested! 

i guess i was also just wondering if some hospitals were better than others for skin cancers to start my search. i know the top 3 are md anderson, sloan and johns hopkins for cancer in general but i wasn't sure if there is maybe a cancer hospital that is top in the field for skin cancer. i know sometimes it requires insider information to find this stuff out. i really appreciate the info though. thank you very much.

dani66
                                                                                    Participant

For the ocular melanoma I went to an eye doctor, its a standard test where they dialate your pupil, it was a bit uncomfortable but not painful, it lets them look behing the eye. 

Dani

dani66
                                                                                      Participant

For the ocular melanoma I went to an eye doctor, its a standard test where they dialate your pupil, it was a bit uncomfortable but not painful, it lets them look behing the eye. 

Dani

dani66
                                                                                        Participant

Dani

njmom
                                                                                          Participant

Dear Janner,

Thandster
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              I understand the overwhelming sense of trying to monitor sooooo many moles. When meeting with the dermatologist at the melanoma clinic where I’m being treated, I told her that I feel hopeless in trying to track them there are so many. My moles have moles;) They are constantly changing with new ones showing up all the time. Of everything they tell you to watch for, I have dozens that match each of those.

The way she explained it to me is that for someone with MANY moles, the way to do the checks is from 2-3 feet away and scan with the “ugly duckling” mindset. If you look too closely at every single mole you will go insane over every little thing. People with a lot of moles have ‘families’ of moles. If a mole seems odd, see if there are others similar to that in other areas. If it stands out as the ugly duckling, not fitting into any of the families of moles you have, this is what definitely needs to be checked by a dermatologist. The fact that this mole you had was noticed by your daughter as being different, seems like this is the method you should be using.

I certainly agree that you need to find a good dermatologist and I am not suggesting that you give up the search. I just know that it was incredibly helpful for me to get a better understanding of how to try to monitor my MANY moles. My derm said that I’m the front line of defense and to do these body scans monthly. Hope this is helpful and can help you not to obsess about every single mole.

Good luck in your search,
                                                                                              Thandster

Thandster
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                I understand the overwhelming sense of trying to monitor sooooo many moles. When meeting with the dermatologist at the melanoma clinic where I’m being treated, I told her that I feel hopeless in trying to track them there are so many. My moles have moles;) They are constantly changing with new ones showing up all the time. Of everything they tell you to watch for, I have dozens that match each of those.

The way she explained it to me is that for someone with MANY moles, the way to do the checks is from 2-3 feet away and scan with the “ugly duckling” mindset. If you look too closely at every single mole you will go insane over every little thing. People with a lot of moles have ‘families’ of moles. If a mole seems odd, see if there are others similar to that in other areas. If it stands out as the ugly duckling, not fitting into any of the families of moles you have, this is what definitely needs to be checked by a dermatologist. The fact that this mole you had was noticed by your daughter as being different, seems like this is the method you should be using.

I certainly agree that you need to find a good dermatologist and I am not suggesting that you give up the search. I just know that it was incredibly helpful for me to get a better understanding of how to try to monitor my MANY moles. My derm said that I’m the front line of defense and to do these body scans monthly. Hope this is helpful and can help you not to obsess about every single mole.

Thandster

Thandster
                                                                                                Participant

Thandster

njmom
                                                                                                  Participant

Janner, thank you. yes i understand that completely. i knew it was a long shot. it is just hard to find a really good derm. who takes a long time to look, at least in my experience. the one i have currently looks for like 1 minute (literally) and then sends me on my way and he is from a top rated hospital in ny and came highly recommended! i have SO many moles and im trying to look for change, but the stage 0 really didn't look to bad to me. It was pretty small and just a dark brown. Didn't look too out of the ordinary so i guess i worry its hard to even tell.  i didn't know the 8% fact though. that is very interesting. does that still hold true for stage 0 or does that refer to invasives? since i have the stage 1 breast cancer, i guess i am just feeling like my body is a little out of whack so i wanna catch anything on the skin early if i can and there is a possible link between the bc and melanoma so i don't know if that could mean i would fall into the 8% ; /. thank you for the info and i am hoping the risk is very small. thank you. 

njmom
                                                                                                    Participant

Janner
                                                                                                    Participant

It's not uncommon for an oncologist to refuse to see a stage 0 patient.  The survival rate of nearly 100% means it just doesn't qualify as cancer in their book.  Many oncologists only see stage III and higher.  I think that getting photography done and possibly finding a derm who focuses more on skin cancers would be the way to go.  As for high risk for more melanomas, only about 8% of the melanoma population ever have more than one melanoma primary.  So while it is good to be vigilant and your risk is certainly higher than the general population, it is still relatively low overall.  Watch for CHANGE!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                                                                      Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

POW
                                                                                                        Participant

If you are looking for a good dermatologist with experience with melanoma, why don't you try this? Google the name of each physician in the Sloan Kettering Dermatology Service  ( mskcc.org/doctor/department/department-medicine ). Just search using the name and "dermatology". I found several who have private practices as well as being "affiliated" with Sloan Kettering like Erica Lee and Liang Deng.  Depending on your location, you might find a good fit for you.

POW
                                                                                                          Participant

If you are looking for a good dermatologist with experience with melanoma, why don't you try this? Google the name of each physician in the Sloan Kettering Dermatology Service  ( mskcc.org/doctor/department/department-medicine ). Just search using the name and "dermatology". I found several who have private practices as well as being "affiliated" with Sloan Kettering like Erica Lee and Liang Deng.  Depending on your location, you might find a good fit for you.

Carole K
                                                                                                              Participant

Without a doubt for Dermatology it is Dr. Halpern at Sloane Kettering.  Dr., Halpern is so busy not only with his practice but many demands I am sure that are made on him for speakin, running the Dermatolgoy Dept. at Sloane Kettering, his patients which he is truly dedicated to, the Skin Cancer Foundation, and somewhere trying to manage family time.  He is by far one of the most incredible doctors I have been blessed to have on my team.

I was his patient for many years but don't see him unless the need arises.  He is way too busy to see me, eventhough I am a stage IV.  I am not one who has many moles, thankfully but when I needed him he was there for me.  There are many other capable Dermatologists at Sloane Kettering.  You can also try NYU Cancer Center.   They too have great Dermatologists. 

As a stage 0 stage vigilant and make sure you see your derm when anyting changes.  I am sure you will be fine and I am just glad you acknowledge the severity of Melanoma.   My best to you and please to KEEP VIGILANT. 

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                                                                                                                Participant

Without a doubt for Dermatology it is Dr. Halpern at Sloane Kettering.  Dr., Halpern is so busy not only with his practice but many demands I am sure that are made on him for speakin, running the Dermatolgoy Dept. at Sloane Kettering, his patients which he is truly dedicated to, the Skin Cancer Foundation, and somewhere trying to manage family time.  He is by far one of the most incredible doctors I have been blessed to have on my team.

I was his patient for many years but don't see him unless the need arises.  He is way too busy to see me, eventhough I am a stage IV.  I am not one who has many moles, thankfully but when I needed him he was there for me.  There are many other capable Dermatologists at Sloane Kettering.  You can also try NYU Cancer Center.   They too have great Dermatologists. 

As a stage 0 stage vigilant and make sure you see your derm when anyting changes.  I am sure you will be fine and I am just glad you acknowledge the severity of Melanoma.   My best to you and please to KEEP VIGILANT. 

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                                                                                                                  Participant

Love and Light

Carole K

dani66
                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi, I'm in the same boat, had a stage 0 removed last year and history of BCC 3 year ago. I followed your advice here and contaced Erica Lee's office. None of these derms at Sloan see patients for body screens; they only do surgery. However, the friendly lady on the phone from Sloan's derm dept. emailed me a list of derms that they recommend and whow work closely with them.

I see 2 derms at http://www.laserskinsurgery.com in NYC who I'm very happy with. Dr. Bernstein did my Melanoma surgery and is just about the nices man you'd ever find and very knowledgeable. Dr. Lori Brightman I see for my 3 months check ups as I prefer a female for that. She really takes her time with me, checking my head, even my mouth and sent me to get my eyes checked (for eye melanoma) which I had no idea existed. Together, the both of them take good care of me and its easy to get in with them, they call back promptly and take my insurance (GHI) which not eveyone takes. My BCC Moh's surgery was done there as well (2 stages) and I have NO scar in my face. Amazing work! 

All the best,

Dani

dani66
                                                                                                                      Participant

PS:  just checked the list of referrals from Sloan and happy to report: my derm Dr. Leonard Bernstein is top on the list!  I heighly recommend him.  He doesn't do checkups, but many in his clinic do, and he's always present (small clinic). 

dani66
                                                                                                                        Participant

PS:  just checked the list of referrals from Sloan and happy to report: my derm Dr. Leonard Bernstein is top on the list!  I heighly recommend him.  He doesn't do checkups, but many in his clinic do, and he's always present (small clinic). 

dani66
                                                                                                                          Participant

dani66
                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi, I'm in the same boat, had a stage 0 removed last year and history of BCC 3 year ago. I followed your advice here and contaced Erica Lee's office. None of these derms at Sloan see patients for body screens; they only do surgery. However, the friendly lady on the phone from Sloan's derm dept. emailed me a list of derms that they recommend and whow work closely with them.

I see 2 derms at http://www.laserskinsurgery.com in NYC who I'm very happy with. Dr. Bernstein did my Melanoma surgery and is just about the nices man you'd ever find and very knowledgeable. Dr. Lori Brightman I see for my 3 months check ups as I prefer a female for that. She really takes her time with me, checking my head, even my mouth and sent me to get my eyes checked (for eye melanoma) which I had no idea existed. Together, the both of them take good care of me and its easy to get in with them, they call back promptly and take my insurance (GHI) which not eveyone takes. My BCC Moh's surgery was done there as well (2 stages) and I have NO scar in my face. Amazing work! 

All the best,

Dani

dani66
                                                                                                                              Participant

All the best,

Dani

POW
                                                                                                                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics