The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Baylor Sammon Yervoy (Ipilimumab) vs. OPDIVO (Nivolumab) Phase III Clinical Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Baylor Sammon Yervoy (Ipilimumab) vs. OPDIVO (Nivolumab) Phase III Clinical Trial

Participant

Back on April 14, 2015, I was patient #1 for the  Yervoy (Ipilimumab) vs. OPDIVO (Nivolumab) Phase III clinical trial for Stage III metastatic melanoma patients – resected tumors, No Evidence of Disease. 

Who else is in and what are you experiencing?  I"m super pleased with the entire team there having had a less that stellar experince at MD Anderson, which is an amazing resource none the less. .

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        dentholla
        Participant

My husband really liked Baylor and preferred it over UT Southwestern.  The staff is very friendly and Dr. Cowey made us feel comfortable, answered our questions, and we just knew it was where he wanted to seek care.

He is Stage 3b although it's debatable if he was really 3a or 3b however Dr. Cowey wants to be more aggressive – we are going with 3b nonetheless.  He hasn't started it yet and was just filling out the paperwork yesterday.  He's nervous about the side effects.  I'm curious to know what you've been experiencing.  How often do you go?  I wish you all the best and would love to stay in touch along the way.

Speedster
            Participant

I've had three treatmetns, which means I've gotten the actual medication twice as part of the double-blind study.  On Monay (5/11), when I was to get my fourth, I was unable to get it as my liver function was out of bounds.  Having tested it again to day, it's gone even further, which is a real concern and puts me on indefinite hold. 

So, yes, toxicity is a reall issue and I've had a long list of minor and a little more severe issues inclunding a bad reaction to Doxycycline that cause a terrible rash and high fever, another rash that makes me crazy at night, headaches, chills, sweats, joint and body aches…).  Yet I'm confiendt this is the right course as Interferon is horrid and has littiel curative effect.  Doing nothing is high rish as melanoma does not sleep. 

I hope my liver recovers soon and I can get rolling again.   

Speedster
              Participant

As of today's blood test, my liver is almost back to normal after 10 days of Predisone steroids.  We discovered today my pancreas is stressed, yet within a Grade I toxicity event, so I can be treated this Tuesady, May 26.  It will be interesting to see how I tolerate my third treatment assuming I'm on the ipi leg of the trial.   Hopefully my liver, pancreas and skin tolerate it well.  

dentholla
                Participant

So glad to hear you are able to continue!  My husband submitted all the paperwork and now we are waiting to have his full day of testing and then we're off!  Let us know if you are able to continue – here's to hoping the pancreas settles down.   Do you think you are on the ipi leg based off symptoms?

Speedster
                  Participant

As my liver has recovered and the seroids are being tapered down, I'll be treated again next Monday June 8, then June 15 and June 22.   I pray my system tolderates what I beleive will be my last high dose of  Ipilumumab if I"m on that leg of the trail, yet that's not certain.

Speedster
                    Participant

As my liver has recovered and the seroids are being tapered down, I'll be treated again next Monday June 8, then June 15 and June 22.   I pray my system tolderates what I beleive will be my last high dose of  Ipilumumab if I"m on that leg of the trail, yet that's not certain.

Speedster
                      Participant

dentholla
                        Participant

So glad to hear you are able to continue!  My husband submitted all the paperwork and now we are waiting to have his full day of testing and then we're off!  Let us know if you are able to continue – here's to hoping the pancreas settles down.   Do you think you are on the ipi leg based off symptoms?

dentholla
                          Participant

Speedster
                            Participant

As of today's blood test, my liver is almost back to normal after 10 days of Predisone steroids.  We discovered today my pancreas is stressed, yet within a Grade I toxicity event, so I can be treated this Tuesady, May 26.  It will be interesting to see how I tolerate my third treatment assuming I'm on the ipi leg of the trial.   Hopefully my liver, pancreas and skin tolerate it well.  

Speedster
                              Participant

Speedster
                                Participant

I've had three treatmetns, which means I've gotten the actual medication twice as part of the double-blind study.  On Monay (5/11), when I was to get my fourth, I was unable to get it as my liver function was out of bounds.  Having tested it again to day, it's gone even further, which is a real concern and puts me on indefinite hold. 

So, yes, toxicity is a reall issue and I've had a long list of minor and a little more severe issues inclunding a bad reaction to Doxycycline that cause a terrible rash and high fever, another rash that makes me crazy at night, headaches, chills, sweats, joint and body aches…).  Yet I'm confiendt this is the right course as Interferon is horrid and has littiel curative effect.  Doing nothing is high rish as melanoma does not sleep. 

Speedster
                                  Participant

dentholla
                                  Participant

My husband really liked Baylor and preferred it over UT Southwestern.  The staff is very friendly and Dr. Cowey made us feel comfortable, answered our questions, and we just knew it was where he wanted to seek care.

He is Stage 3b although it's debatable if he was really 3a or 3b however Dr. Cowey wants to be more aggressive – we are going with 3b nonetheless.  He hasn't started it yet and was just filling out the paperwork yesterday.  He's nervous about the side effects.  I'm curious to know what you've been experiencing.  How often do you go?  I wish you all the best and would love to stay in touch along the way.

dentholla
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics