The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Battling Metastatic Melanoma is a Lonely Experience

Forums General Melanoma Community Battling Metastatic Melanoma is a Lonely Experience

Participant
      I’m 6 months into my journey and would benefit from connecting with others who are in the same position.
    Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        ThinkingPositive
        Participant
          Hi BTM,
          I have always received great support in this forum. Melanoma is one word but has so many facets. What has your treatment been so far? My info is in my bio.
          In the forum You can search topics such as side effects and learn what others done to deal with it. For me, my latest issue after 18 months, keytruda gifted me with a nasty bout of diarrhea. Treated with steroids and Imodium, plus daily calls with my nurse for a full week. It’s day 26 and now fewer loose stools. I had my last infusion last month so keytruda got rid of the cancer and I want to heal from keytruda.
          Hang in there! Cindy
          BTM
          Participant
            My treatment for stage 3c metastatic melanoma involves 17 infusions of Bempegaldesleukin (BEMPEG: NKTR-214) in combination with Nivolumab every three weeks. I just had treatment 9 of 17, so I’m now over half way through. The side effects have lessened over time but still involve major fatigue, nausea, dizziness, body aches,loss of appetite, insomnia, and occasionally significant joint pain. I’d love to connect with others going through similar treatments.
            Daisy2018
            Participant
              Hi there,
              Welcome to the forum. There are lots of kind and knowledgeable folks here. Hopefully it will be less lonely experience for you.
              I always wonder how do they come up with the names of the medications? I never heard of this medication. Interesting choice for your doctor instead of Optivo/Yervoy. It’s hard to remember and harder to pronounce the names of these medications. 😀
              I m getting Optivo/Yervoy after failed Keytruda and after targeted therapy stopped working Braftovi/Mektovi about 7 months of treatment.
              Mets in bones, couple in liver, couple brain ones treated with SRS.
              Lots of pain, not sure if it’s arthritides/ inflammation pain in joints or it’s cancer pain or both. In two months I turned from active vibrant woman into a handicap who uses her hands to get her legs(physically pulling them by the pants)to get in a car.
              I m not comfortable sleeping in a bed anymore. I sleep on a couch propped with pillows. Every time I need to roll from my back to my side I wake up and reposition myself.
              Morphine and oxycodone around the clock. I m thinking if I haven’t gotten worse since I started treatment, I finished cycle 3, maybe I still have a chance and I will better?!

I m hoping the treatment will work for you. Good luck to you. You are not alone! Best wishes and positive vibes to you.

BTM
              Participant
                Hey Daisy, I really appreciate your reaching out and sharing. I’m getting treatment at OHSU in Portland, OR. They made it sound like nivolumab was standard care, whereas the bempeg is a clinical drug trial that I understand has had some promising results.
                It’s great to hear Optivo/Yervoy are working well for you!

I too sleep a lot on the couch these days. But I think the feeling of aging much faster than planned is one of the hardest parts, especially with young children. My biggest hope is to see them into adulthood.

Sending you healing energy and positivity,

Brian

Mark_DC
                Participant
                  Dear Brian,

Sorry for not writing earlier. There are many fellow sufferers here but unfortunately in recent months less postings and less activity than 3-4 years ago, when this Board was super helpful.

We have some experts here like Celeste and Ed and others who are good on the technical side and on the latest treatments. I dont know NKTR-214 but I know some others have tried it. As Daisy mentioned I think the standard would be adding ipi to nivo rather than nktr-214. But ipi is quite toxic and so can give rise to side effects. There are new anti-lag3 treatments (relatlimab) too which I think are in trials now and you can add to nivo. Results have come out in the last few months and show promise.

That said while ipi-nivo is standard I failed ipi by itself (side effects) so I was put onto keytruda (helped but didnt resolve) and then added t-vec to keytruda which seems to have worked. So the ideas of adding something to nivo, like nktr-214, can make sense. You can use the search function on this board and type in nktr and lots of posts came up. Also try celeste’s blog and search there, she will have summarized some articles.

BTW on keytruda I did have side effects, like most of us here, but not too serious or I just tried to ignore them. My tumour burden though was light. Adding t-vec gave me pretty bad fever, esp from the second treatment onwards and i guess i was worn out and would sleep some weekend afternoons. But the side effects can be a sign the treatment is working.

I hope that your tumour burden is light and not spread too much. (I worry for Daisy, I am lucky and did not have to experience this). Also of course you need to check if you have BRAF as this gives you extra options. Celeste’s blog has a primer / overview of various treatments.

If you have specific questions please post them and someone here will try to help out. Sadly the board is less active now, so it may take time. But others may read but not be able to answer, but I know they will be concerned for you and wishing you the best.

Good luck and I hope the infusions go well
                  Mark

Lucas
                    Participant
                      Brian, I recently finished treatment for stage 4 acral melanoma. I was first diagnosed at the age of 35 with two young children. I live in the Portland area and was treated at Kaiser Interstate. If you’d ever like to connect my email is [email protected].
                    Bubbles
                    Participant
                      Hello Brian,

Sorry for all that you are enduring (from melanoma and the treatment effects) but thanks ever so much for being a rattie and know that there are many of us in your shoes! I was first diagnosed with Stage IIIb melanoma in 2003. However, back in the olden days there was nothing to do except cut it out and/or take interferon for a year which made you sick as a dog and had zero impact on survival. I opted out of the last and just did what we called cherry picking that year and again in 2007. In 2010 I advanced to Stage IV with lung, brain and tonsilar mets. After zapping my brain and cutting out the rest, I was lucky to find a Nivolumab (Opdivo) as a single agent phase 1 trial 6 months later. None of the current immunotherapies or targeted therapies were FDA approved at that time. However, my fellow ratties and I did surprisingly well! We didn’t grow three heads and many of us are still alive and kicking. I had my last dose of nivo in June of 2013 and have been NED for melanoma ever since. So…there is HOPE!!! Yes, side effects and melanoma suck great big green stinky hairy wizard balls!!! I dealt with fatigue, arthralgias, rashes, wheezing, mouth ulcers – but continued to work and take care of my family – and I’m still here!!!!

I’ve been reporting on NKTR-214 since 2013, though given its relative newness in melanoma world there are few folks on that therapy on this forum. Here are some reports if you are interested: Bempeg and the PIVOT trial

An important thing to remember however when reading treatment data is to compare apples to apples. That applies to treatment as well as melanoma stage. Melanoma patients who are stage II obviously do much better than folks who are Stage IV with advanced disease. So you have to keep that sort of thing in mind.

Your therapy is very promising. Especially when you know that nivo alone can work for advanced melanoma patients! So you are getting that – plus some! Take care. I wish you my best. Celeste

Daisy2018
                      Participant
                        Hi Brian,
                        I agree with Celeste. You are getting nivo and something else so it sounds promising.
                        I would ask my doctor why is the preference of this trial vs ipi/nivo?

Please don’t look at ageing itself. I look at it as a disease process. I might be in a bad shape now but I will bounce back if I beat this thing. It’s hard not to be able to play with your children the way you used to or would like to. I have couple high schoolers and a cute little grandson. I know, lol. I m not even 50 y.o. Feels weird. I feel bad not being able to pick him up or chase him around.
                        The important thing is to beat this darn melanoma and then everything will come around. Human body is an amazing thing. We can put ourselves back together pretty nicely once certain conditions are met.
                        Unfortunately I don’t know if my treatment is working. I had 3 infusions and hanging in limbo until we will do 4 one, then it’s the time to see if it worked or not. I m hoping since I m not upping up on my pain meds maybe I m not getting worse.🙏The trend in LDH is looking hopeful.
                        Hang in there! Hugs!

Daisy2018
                        Participant
                          To set the record straight, the grandkid is my oldest son’s son not my teens kid. Lol.
                          BTM
                          Participant
                            Dear Mark, Celeste and Daisy,

You guys are truly awesome! My appointed social worker at OHSU has been searching for months for someone for me to connect with to no avail. I wish I would have taken more of a lead and discovered the forum sooner. All good things in good time.

Fortunately, I learned early on that you have to become the captain of your health care team, so you get the team you need in place to fill all of the pivotal roles. Getting connected with others in a similar position was what was missing!

I’m super thankful for the guidance,
                            suggestions, candor, reassurance and overall positively. It adds up and makes a substantive difference.

Yours sincerely,

Brian

Daisy2018
                            Participant
                              You are very welcome Brian!
                              Post questions, talk, connect.
                              It does feel little less lonely to talk to people in the same situation.
                              Positive things happen at the time of need I m certain of it.
                              I recently met a woman while walking my pup and she had became my angel suppport person. I feel she was sent by higher power
                              In a time of need!
                              Stay positive! I told myself I can be miserable and scared or I can enjoy and be greatful for every little thing I still can do for myself and for every day seeing my family.
                              Sdmotorcop
                              Participant
                                Hi Brian,
                                I am a fellow OHSU patient. I’m currently going to the Knight Cancer clinic in Beaverton. I had a really great oncologist (Gary Takahashi) who was a victim of this vaccine mandate mess. I’m currently being seen by Dr Anderson in Portland. Seems like a really good Doc who listens. My dermatologist is Dr Berry and her team (she was a previous Mel researcher).
                                I was a 3C until I advanced on Nivo after 10 months. Did 3 doses of Ipi which seemed to be working. After finding new spots, I was put on targeted therapy (since 7/2021). Several nodes have shrunk, however I have a couple that a stubborn in my lungs.

I live out on the coast so I’m local.. I try not to go to Portland or through Portland 😁. DM me.. my email should be in my bio
                                Bruce

mmbraddock
                                Participant
                                  Hi Brain,

I had a wide excision removed on the back of my leg 1/5/16 It was stage 1B. I was 40. Assumed after 6 years was in the clear from that sight….I have been seen at Moffitt for my skin checks since 2016. My last apt was September and all good. I felt a swollen lymph node in my groin on 1/6/22. I was diagnosed on 1/12/22 with a reassurance in the lymph node so now stage 3b. I started treatment on 1/29/22 in a clinical trail at Moffitt. I was very lucky I was already in the system so things moved very fast. I am doing Braf/Mek 12 pill combo neo adjunct. I have been every week for blood work since starting b/c my liver enzymes jumped up from dosage. Initially had a lot of side effects but my body seems to be adjusting. Will know more tomorrow re liver if I have to cut dose or stay on the initial dose.

I am just over a month over diagnosis and I feel very isolated in my experience as well. I posted about the trial on here a couple of weeks ago and found someone else participating in the same trial at Moffitt. We both had appointments last Thursday and were able to meet up. It’s great having someone to text and chat with who can relate since on the same plan. Also super lucky b/c she is very upbeat and positive. Hasn’t been an easy month but glad I joined the forum b/c it has given me someone else who understands the entire process and the heartache of it all.

Hang in there. Happy to chat offline if you want.

MM

maxandersonjr
                                    Participant
                                      This is very similar to my wife’s story. She also had stage 1b 12 years ago and we thought melanoma was behind until she had swollen lymph nodes and a lump on her breast in November of 2021. She started the 12-pill Braf/Mek combo. What does “neo adjunct” mean? Is that something additional?

Sorry for the dumb question. I’m trying to learn more about the various treatments.

Thanks and wishing you success in your battle

mmbraddock
                                      Participant
                                        Hi Max,

I had another oncologist suggest I have the lymph nodes removed ASAP once confirmed Melanoma and do the Targeted Therapy/Immunotherapy after the surgery. My oncologist at Moffitt believes the targeted therapy prior to the lymph node removal significantly lowers chance of it returning as stage 4.

Feel free to ask any questions. Try to remember online stats don’t include the latest data b/c new treatments are making melanoma curable! We can’t control what happens only how we respond. Hold on to hope.

MM

Bubbles
                                      Participant
                                        Hi Max…

Neo-adjuvant means giving a medicine before all tumor has been removed. Here are some post/articles if you are interested: neoadjuvant treatments may be targeted (BRAF/MEK) or immunotherapy

Hope that helps. Celeste

Toby0987
                                        Participant
                                          Hang in there. I was diagnosed in Feb 2013 with stage 3b mel and opted for surgery and nothing else. I had a 1 year old and my wife was pregnant-I was crushed. There were not a ton of treatment options and my natural tilt is towards worst case scenarios. I found this forum and it was a life saver. People in similar situations sharing stories and knowledge-it’s an outstanding place to be! By the way, I am cancer free and only look in the rear view mirror on my diagnosis anniversary-9 years ago! Heck-I’ve even forgot about mitosis rates and waking up at 3am to google some treatment that may be coming on the market. You will get through this!
                                      Viewing 13 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics