The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Baseball ticket rant

Forums General Melanoma Community Baseball ticket rant

Participant

Oh, I am angry, and stupid.

Ever since baseball came to our city, my husband and I have purchased a quarter of a season's worth of tickets; for the last 7 years or so, as part of a group organised by our CPA. (His name is actually on the seats.) Four seats per game, and a parking pass.  After Grayum died, I continued to get them, as I really enjoy going, and I love to be able to take my friends, and now, the occasional date.

Oh, I am angry, and stupid.

Ever since baseball came to our city, my husband and I have purchased a quarter of a season's worth of tickets; for the last 7 years or so, as part of a group organised by our CPA. (His name is actually on the seats.) Four seats per game, and a parking pass.  After Grayum died, I continued to get them, as I really enjoy going, and I love to be able to take my friends, and now, the occasional date.

Every year in the past, this man, let's call him Wally, emailed everyone a schedule. Everyone picked the games they wanted, and while no one got every game they wanted, everyone got at least some of them. This year, though, in spite of me sending several emails asking about the schedule, I received my tickets without any input. Apparently, I got the tickets no one wanted – none of the 'good' games, vs the Yankees or Boston, for example. Of course I let him know how unhappy I was, especially as it smelled just a little like being patted on the head and told to be a good little girl. At first, Wally tried to weasel his way out of it, saying that since I hadn't sent him my choices, he thought I didn't care. Yes, I love to spend big bucks on things I don't care about. When I reminded him that I had indeed sent several emails asking about the schedule, he made a few changes, and I got some better games. (There were a few parking pass mix-ups, too, which I had to insist be fixed.)

All that is history, but is background. Now we're in the playoffs. I sent in my request – and check!- for the number of seats and games I wanted, plus parking passes. Got my tickets yesterday, minus a parking pass for one game. When I called Wally, he started in about how not everybody gets a parking pass for every game, depending on how the tickets are split. I said I thought I had paid for a parking pass, but he said he just averages it out, and every seat pays a certain amount toward parking, because, and I quote, "It's too hard to figure it out on an individual basis."  I said, "Wally, you're a CPA, surely you can figure it out," and he started yelling about how much trouble it was to do this for everyone, he doesn't get paid for this, yadda yadda.  WTF? This guy is a CPA! His name is on the seats! He organized the whole thing in the first place! And he's upset because I complained about not getting what I paid for?

If I can find comparable seats next season (they really are good, and I admit to being spoiled about where I sit), my bro-in-law and I will get our own. As a client, I don't think it's my job to make his life easier. Grayum always got football tkts, and GAVE them to customers. I'm not expecting to be given anything, but I do expect to get what I paid for.

BTW, Wally will not be doing my taxes again. He charges too much anyway, and doesn't do that good a job.

Am I missing something here? Besides the sense to tell him to fuck off?

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        LV
        Participant

This is why it pays to be a man. They can complain without  being labelled whiners.

KyCyn
            Participant

If there were a "Like" button here, I'd be hitting it on THIS comment – so true!!!!!

Cyn

KyCyn
              Participant

If there were a "Like" button here, I'd be hitting it on THIS comment – so true!!!!!

Cyn

LV
              Participant

This is why it pays to be a man. They can complain without  being labelled whiners.

dian in spokane
                Participant

Laura,

I remember you were upset about this last year too. Maybe you ought to start NOW on finding a new way to get your tickets next year and just let this `~friendship~ go..

It might be tougher to get the tickets you want, but it might be easier on your piece of mind.

LV
                    Participant

Lol, Dian. Not exactly what I would call a friendship! Now I need new seats, and a new CPA. All the things we navigated as a couple, I now have to navigate on my own. And some things I didn't even know needed navigating.

I just got a long email from Wally, laying out all the woes he's had managing these tickets, and basically telling me to fuck off next year. I was tired of getting screwed, anyway. He charged me 12 hundred bucks to do my taxes last year. And they weren't even done on time! They can't be that complicated.

All I can do is laugh, and quote our darling NIc:    Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.

LV
                      Participant

Lol, Dian. Not exactly what I would call a friendship! Now I need new seats, and a new CPA. All the things we navigated as a couple, I now have to navigate on my own. And some things I didn't even know needed navigating.

I just got a long email from Wally, laying out all the woes he's had managing these tickets, and basically telling me to fuck off next year. I was tired of getting screwed, anyway. He charged me 12 hundred bucks to do my taxes last year. And they weren't even done on time! They can't be that complicated.

All I can do is laugh, and quote our darling NIc:    Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.

KyCyn
                        Participant

Wally sounds like a spoiled pain in the ass (can I say 'ass' here?)

I don't understand people who volunteer to do something, then complain the whole time as if they are being forced into it.  I'd love to see his face when you let him know he's not doing your taxes anymore smiley

Cyn

LV
                          Participant

Oh, it gets even sillier. When I first got the tkts this year, for some reason he kept telling me that Grayum wanted weekday afternoon games. Now, that's fine with me, because I don't have many pressing appointments to meet, but G never wanted to be away from his business! I can count on one hand the number of afternoon games we went to. For some reason, Wally brought this up again today, and when I tried to explain that he was mixing G up with his brother (who also is part of the group and ALWAYS wanted afternoon games), he emailed me :

"graham told me several times he wanted afternoon games I don't know what he told you"

I could only reply that, of course he knew Grayum better than I did.

Funny. He won't be doing the taxes for the business anymore, either.

LV
                            Participant

Oh, it gets even sillier. When I first got the tkts this year, for some reason he kept telling me that Grayum wanted weekday afternoon games. Now, that's fine with me, because I don't have many pressing appointments to meet, but G never wanted to be away from his business! I can count on one hand the number of afternoon games we went to. For some reason, Wally brought this up again today, and when I tried to explain that he was mixing G up with his brother (who also is part of the group and ALWAYS wanted afternoon games), he emailed me :

"graham told me several times he wanted afternoon games I don't know what he told you"

I could only reply that, of course he knew Grayum better than I did.

Funny. He won't be doing the taxes for the business anymore, either.

KyCyn
                              Participant

Wally sounds like a spoiled pain in the ass (can I say 'ass' here?)

I don't understand people who volunteer to do something, then complain the whole time as if they are being forced into it.  I'd love to see his face when you let him know he's not doing your taxes anymore smiley

Cyn

dian in spokane
                              Participant

Laura,

I remember you were upset about this last year too. Maybe you ought to start NOW on finding a new way to get your tickets next year and just let this `~friendship~ go..

It might be tougher to get the tickets you want, but it might be easier on your piece of mind.

jag
                                Participant

Times like these make one ask "What would Lisbeth Salander do?"

LV
                                    Participant

John, are you encouraging me to seek revenge in some perverse extremely satisfying way? Tsk tsk. Very beneath your new leaf in life.

Nah, I believe in the axiom that time wounds all heels. I don't even have to see it happen. That's about as perverse as I get.

LV
                                      Participant

John, are you encouraging me to seek revenge in some perverse extremely satisfying way? Tsk tsk. Very beneath your new leaf in life.

Nah, I believe in the axiom that time wounds all heels. I don't even have to see it happen. That's about as perverse as I get.

jag
                                      Participant

Times like these make one ask "What would Lisbeth Salander do?"

lhaley
                                        Participant

Did you ever do the math to see if everyone in the group was actually paying a bit more and maybe dear Wally was getting his tickets on a free ride for his organizational work?   He just doesn't sound like the type to be doing this out of the goodness of his heart.

Linda

LV
                                            Participant

Lol, yes, I have considered the possibility. And I wouldn't be totally opposed to him getting compensated – a little – if he owned up to it. It is a bit complex, because ticket prices also vary according to the day and the time of day and the opposing team. There are 3 different pricing levels for the same seat! I imagine dear Wally has a spreadsheet that works all that in.

He got stuck owning  seats he couldn't sell when the team was playing like crap, and was happy for us to participate then. Now that the team is doing well (except for today's and the last few games) I guess it's time to shed the dead weight. Honestly, maybe I'm seeing intent where there is none, but I can't help but feel that there is just a little good-old-boys club attitude in all of this, which is probably what riles me most.

LV
                                              Participant

Lol, yes, I have considered the possibility. And I wouldn't be totally opposed to him getting compensated – a little – if he owned up to it. It is a bit complex, because ticket prices also vary according to the day and the time of day and the opposing team. There are 3 different pricing levels for the same seat! I imagine dear Wally has a spreadsheet that works all that in.

He got stuck owning  seats he couldn't sell when the team was playing like crap, and was happy for us to participate then. Now that the team is doing well (except for today's and the last few games) I guess it's time to shed the dead weight. Honestly, maybe I'm seeing intent where there is none, but I can't help but feel that there is just a little good-old-boys club attitude in all of this, which is probably what riles me most.

lhaley
                                              Participant

Did you ever do the math to see if everyone in the group was actually paying a bit more and maybe dear Wally was getting his tickets on a free ride for his organizational work?   He just doesn't sound like the type to be doing this out of the goodness of his heart.

Linda

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics